Isn't GIMP an acronym? I haven't looked it up but it might be GNU Image Manipulation Program.

As for photoshop if you asked a person who didn't already know what it was or heard about it they may think it's a photo shop.

Anyway this thread will be an interesting demonstration of who can take non-negative criticism of the N900.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cashclientel View Post
gimp = dont want to know!
GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program

Seems obvious to me. Awk might be odd, but Gimp is clear.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by cashclientel View Post
a lot of the app names are stupid. its a self righteous linux thing. "i created it therefore i will name it after an obscure geeky reference to a film or tv show". fair enough though if they did put the effort in to make it.

photoshop = know what that does
Commercial marketplace for some photos?

(EDIT: it is what we name 'prejudice')

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to egoshin For This Useful Post:
Ridiculous complains...i don't see any music stutter...maybe video stutter.

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
You won't see "Foo/Foo" in the Maemo official repositories - if you do, disable alpha and beta software. They don't make it final being called foo.

I think that this is about known programs. Photoshop makes no sense. Come on, people. Neither does AutoCAD, Word, Excel (at what?), Access, Binder, Outlook (how does that spell mail?), Outlook Express (is that like quickly looking out?), Nero (The emperor of disks!), Firefox (Ok, that's linuky), Handbrake.

I have a million. It's just that by now everyone knows what Office is and what it has. You hear Excel, you think spreadsheet. Naming has nothing to do with it, it's all about having a base already.

OTOH, Linux developer have this weird fetishes with animals, acronyms (especially looping) and puns. I can't believe 30 years later they still pun on Linux/Unix/Gnu/Whatever.

Anyway, once you get the hang of it, it'll be cool with the names.

Also, stutter? As in, you boot the phone, no anything installed/working, no at-boot indexing, CPU is <5%, you fire up the embedded media player, pick a station, it plays and the for no reason just *pkkhck*? I don't get that. Not even after an hour. Try a local station, maybe you have routing/latency/bandwidth/quality issues.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
Originally Posted by romanianusa View Post
Ridiculous complains...i don't see any music stutter...maybe video stutter.
No they are all perfectly valid complaints. As already mentioned, the sound DOES stutter, it seems to be pot luck if it happens to you or not. It likely depends on what other daemons, widgets and how much music/video you have installed, as they all cause additional CPU usage that cannot be predicted. I myself get sound stuttering but its not so bad as to be a deal breaker to me as my Xperia X1 running Windows Mobile was far far worse.

The problem is people will naturally compare music playback and surfing at the same in the iPhone to the N900.

The iPhone of course is doing a lot less, its a cut-down OS (far fewer daemons, no other applications running other than music when web browser is open but N900 could have anything stealing CPU cycles in the background) plus many web pages detect iPhone and switch to iPhone formatted versions which are easier on the CPU. It also has more limited support for music formats and enforced iTunes, so it doesn't have to periodically probe your music library for changes like the N900 does which again triggers stuttering and slowdown if it happens to do so while you are using the N900 at the time.

Basically, the N900 has a lot more hard work to do than the iPhone due to the multitasking and other freedom. Its the very reason the iPhone forces you to use iTunes and disables multitasking. If/when the iPhone enables multitasking then Apple are going to have a real hard job on their hands to prevent the same problems the N900 suffers.

At the end of the day, the iPhones forces you to behave yourself and not run things at the same time that would interfere with each other, the N900 however expects you to take some responsibility with what you do at the same time. That's why I bought the N900, I don't want someone to tell me how to use my device.

Same goes for the App Manager. I too agree package names and in fact the App manager itself is not as friendly as it could be. Just today I searched for Petrovich and it gave no results, I had to search name AND description, even though that IS the name. Plus if you search for example for Bluetooth as name and description, it brings up a list of applications but its not at all clear what most of them even have to do with bluetooth.

This however is a problem desktop Linux often also suffers, because the packages are pretty much open to all you are relying on the community to give you enough details in their description which often they do not, you are expected to "just know" what it does.
I am speaking as a long-term Linux user btw and its exactly why I am subscribed to Linux Format, as they often point out software I did not know existed because its not all that easy to know what is really out there.

As for iPlayer, you can blame that on the N900 having a desktop web browser but not desktop CPU power and the BBC not adapting to detect the N900. It tries to load the full desktop version on the N900 which understandably is overkill. This hopefully will no longer be a problem once Flash 10.1 is released as you could also blame this on Adobe being too slow to implement GPU accelerated video playback in Flash. Its a current flaw with the N900 that Nokia could not have fixed, as its up to either Adobe to get Flash updated or the BBC to adapt their site. I doubt Nokia are allowed to write an iPlayer application without the BBCs blessing either, plus why would they spend the money for "only" the UK when they have a bigger picture to think of, and Flash 10.1 should fix the problem anyway.

My Websites
CSD Projects - Flickr - UAE4Maemo (UAE4All Compatibility List)

Favourite N900 Applications
Picodrive - UAE4All

Please post your UAE4All compatibility reports. Even better, post them to my UAE4Maemo site!
Not sure how UAE4All works such as mouse emulation? Read the FAQ.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alex Atkin UK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Originally Posted by Alex Atkin UK View Post
No they are all perfectly valid complaints.[...]
Nice post, but it's not that complex, really (regarding stuttering), they just need to up the priority (Linux users: lower niceness) of the media player and sound subsystem. If a war breaks out between a web page and the media player, I want media player to win, because I can't notice 0.1 seconds delay in a web page, but I can win media player.

Also, given how buffers work, I don't think it's a player fault - a player freeze would give less quirks with longer recovery time. I think it's the sound subsystem (or whatever you have replacing an audio driver/mixer).

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
It's nice to see the majority of people on here can give an adult response to the above poster thanks for explaining the bbc iplayer problem.

My gf likes the phone just a fww things put her off she loves the phone for the browser and social networking

Last edited by Maca0716; 2010-03-24 at 20:51.

Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
this is a bit weird:

1.) havent tried iPlayer so i cant help.

2.) i always multi-task, nothing is hanging, lagging or stuttering in my part. The phone might get slow BUT it is expected (coz i ran more than 5 apps with music and streaming)

3.) I am also confused with the apps....and that's the reason why this community and all the people are here IMHO. to help us and get information about everything related to maemo and other stuff (and those apps that we get confused with)

wife has iphone 3gs, i have n900

she admits n900 video/photo/chat accounts/sip/keyboard is better

I admit iphone is better at music/slick and smooth ui

we argue about which browser is better. Hers is usually a little faster to render, but of course mine has more features.

All in all, iphone suits her, n900 suits me, there is no better or worse absolutism, everybody gets along fine

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to quipper8 For This Useful Post:

Tags
top 3 issues with gf