Posts: 270 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Atlanta, GA + Oxford UK
Originally Posted by IX DarKRidE XI View Post
*******.... not everyone it a GEEK like u , normal people have troubles to understand this problems when they appened for the 1 time...
The same was said about folks who could drive when the car first came out. Different words but the same sentiment I am sure.

I imagine the first guy to use a steam tractor in the village was considered a geek as well. The rest were sure referred to as Luddite a few decades later. Now the term Luddite came from those who objected to the use of machines in the textile industry in the 1800s

Basically all these people were the same. They feared becoming obsolete because they did not understand the new technology.

So before you continue referring to us geeks as abnormal.

Remember your the one asking for our help. And we can demo-straight what happens to people who insult and attack people who understand new tech. They fail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luddite

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HumanPenguin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
HumanPenguin, Hmm nice to know this but you realize that there is huge amount of people to whom computer/technology is not tool to do work. Itīs the way to entertain yourself and some people might think that after paying quite much they left all the "hard" brain work to Nokia.

But yeah word like "Normal" is quite dangerous to use, but on some level I understood what he actually meant by using this word. Thanks to my dear lovely friends and family who keep remembering me what itīs really like to be "end user". *sigh*

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
I've just read through this thread. There are points on both sides and some sensible ideas about improving reactions to people getting in over their head. The one thing I am more concerned about is people simply adding testing and dev repositories willy-nilly. Is this a case of not clear enough warnings in language understood by less technically savy uses or is it just being ignored?

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
I've just read through this thread. There are points on both sides and some sensible ideas about improving reactions to people getting in over their head. The one thing I am more concerned about is people simply adding testing and dev repositories willy-nilly. Is this a case of not clear enough warnings in language understood by less technically savy uses or is it just being ignored?
There is n+1 different blogs and forum thread telling people "do this and this" without giving any warnings so I would not be surprised to see more people coming here and telling that "Nokia has fck up their system"

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
As a result of this thread, I've decided to devote my spring break to "noobify" wiki documentation (where necessary), and creating tutorials.

Help to spread the knowledge and expand the maemo wiki. (wiki.maemo.org).
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to xomm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by xomm View Post
As a result of this thread, I've decided to devote my spring break to "noobify" wiki documentation (where necessary), and creating tutorials.

Help to spread the knowledge and expand the maemo wiki. (wiki.maemo.org).
Now that reaction has to be noted as star quality! Lets hope the krma system provides you adequate reward.

Originally Posted by IX DarKRidE XI View Post
Hi , a while ago I posted this thread , and did every step as it been told me to do , but when i tried to run the exe . , i was able to run nothing ... insted of a smartphone i got a stupidphone , .....lol...enough...going to take him to nokia care center...my litle dumbass baby lol...
Just thinking I might not try to help you again if you don't reply.

rgds
uTMY

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ irvine
hey , hey .. you guys have to understand that not a lot of people know that you have to put some time into a this phone. I don't know anything about programing but i got this phone anyways. Love that people have the same ideas as i do but they know how to make it happened. Just remember, the more people thatlike phones like these the better funding we will have for the future ... coming out with a open phone is risky because most people don;t know how to adjust and fix and install .Please be patient with the non geeks. ( Geeks in this site is an honor to be called) that freak out . they do not know what they do ... .

I am risky but not stupid !!!!

Last edited by danx; 2010-03-25 at 00:18. Reason: forgot to mention

The Following User Says Thank You to danx For This Useful Post:

Tags
ix darkride xi is a geek