Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
OK, guys with music playing problem (stuttering). I can suggest you one experiment. Warning: be prepare to switch OFF-ON phone in case of some trouble, but it should not harm your files. More probable, responsiveness may slightly be harmed until reboot/switch OFF.

1. Go to X-Term, become root
2. execute

renice -20 `ps|grep "pulseaudio"|grep -v grep|cut -b1-5`
renice -20 `ps|grep "mafw-gst-renderer"|grep -v grep|cut -b1-5`

and enjoy your music while browsing.

Last edited by egoshin; 2010-03-25 at 01:03.

Posts: 352 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Vancouver
Originally Posted by naabi View Post
Get her iPhone and get some.
thats no reason not to fix the stutter. my n900 stuters all the time, the fm radio also stutters

Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
FM Radio always seem to be mono for me so I never use it.

My Websites
CSD Projects - Flickr - UAE4Maemo (UAE4All Compatibility List)

Favourite N900 Applications
Picodrive - UAE4All

Please post your UAE4All compatibility reports. Even better, post them to my UAE4Maemo site!
Not sure how UAE4All works such as mouse emulation? Read the FAQ.

I agree with everyone that said the complaints are valid.
I'm a bit surprised that she did not have an issue with the size of the device though because almost everybody that I have showed my N900 to had some comment about the size and many actually said "It's nice but a bit too big"

Another N97 user said he does not like the slide mechanism because he wants the screen to tilt like on his N97.

I have also had some people comment that the screen is not sensitive enough because they are used to capacitive screens. (mixed users that have android phones and iPhones)

It would be nice if someone would weigh in who understands this stuff better. There are too many factors, but I can't help but wonder if there isn't a correlation between format and stutter. My theory:

Less to no stutter with .wav and .mp3

More stutter with other formats, i.e. .flac, .aac, .ogg

Internet radio stutter or silence (?) could be compounded by network issues. Supposedly, mp3's take the best, if not the only, advantage of the DSP chip's decoding ability, and .wav files mostly just pass through. Regardless, we need better info from everyone.

Also, as I have posted elsewhere, the rendering application might have a low priority level. See:

/etc/X11/Xsession.post/32mafw

for more details.

Personally, I'm using vorbis+ogg files @ ~160 kbps and I'm having little to no problems, but I am noticing a high CPU usage. I'm thinking about switching to 192 kbps mp3's.

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
I dont suffer from stuttering,

Have you tried the WII web entry to play iplayer?

Apps are confusing just seems like an excuse, if i wan't an app, i look for it, read the description, if theres no description i come here, and then i go and download it .

Originally Posted by Catacylsm View Post

Apps are confusing just seems like an excuse, if i wan't an app, i look for it, read the description, if theres no description i come here, and then i go and download it .
Tried every version under the sun we have a 50mb fibre optic broadband so im pretty positive its not an issue our end since our itouch/phone/wii plays it with no problems.

Apps confusing seems like an excuse maybe in your eyes sure, but we aren't the only ones in this thread that have said this.

Originally Posted by schettj View Post
GNU is Not Unix.

Apparently, you don't understand Google either.

You type in something, and hit enter. Then The Google Answers. It's like talking to God, except Google is more evil.
Well, I never know since when did Google become sysnonymous with understanding ?
Looking up any new term in google is not something a simple end-user will do at every turn.
Just because you understand it and I inderstand it doesnt mean a bit about "general understanding".

Anyway theres nothing to prove here, so move on.

Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
Originally Posted by Catacylsm View Post

Yes, because everyone has the time to sit on here and peruse Google to try to find the application they need. I'm sorry, that is just a poor excuse.

You should be able to tell easily from App Manager what an application is for, but most descriptions are aweful. As I said, this is a Linux issue all around as I have the same problems on Desktop Linux. Basically its the age old problems that developers are not the best skilled at clearly describing what the thing they have written is actually used for, they tend to assume people "just know" or understand techno-babble.

Now I am not saying developers suck or anything like that, after all I am a novice developer myself and nobody is good at everything. My point is there should be a system in place where once you use an application you can provide feedback quickly and simply from your N900, that people can see when they look at that application in the App manager. The problem is Nokia chose plain Debian package management instead of a more suitable custom/hybrid solution, and switching to RPM is not going to fix that either.

Fact is, the existing methods for providing comments about packages on Maemo is dreadful. You have to dig around maemo.org to try and find it, its not really user facing at all, and the comments are all locked to specific package releases when being able to see comments about older releases would be useful if nobody has commented yet on a new one. It should be a basic function of Maemo itself to make it easy for people to search the packages and see what people think of them, on their N900, without faffing with the web browser. Ironically, even Apple did a poor job there in App Store, what I think is more suitable is basically a system like Cydia. Its more or less a web page, but its packaged into an application so you are not flicking back and forth between apps to install something (pretty relevant on the iPhone/iPod due to its lack of multitasking, but useful too on N900 to make it less confusing).

There is in fact at least one application that tried to do this on the N900 whose name escapes me. It shows the latest packages in the repositories but as it relies on the repos themselves, its far too slow to be practical IMO. This thing needs to be semi-independant of the repos so that its fast, web page fast, to navigate but links to the package so its a simple one-click affair to install. The whole package management is just slow and painful on the N900 and if I get asked one more time "this package is not provided by Nokia do you REALLY want to install it?" I will scream. For crying out loud, if I enabled the repository then OF COURSE I want to bloody use it. There are too many clicks and too much information in App Manager, most people just want to see "installing" and a progress bar. I am pretty anal about wanting to see EVERYTHING my computer is doing, but even I don't want to see a progress bar finish, for another to appear. Either show me the console so I can see EXACTLY what is going on, or show me ONE progress bar for the entire download, decompress and configure process. Anything else is just plain annoying.

My Websites
CSD Projects - Flickr - UAE4Maemo (UAE4All Compatibility List)

Favourite N900 Applications
Picodrive - UAE4All

Please post your UAE4All compatibility reports. Even better, post them to my UAE4Maemo site!
Not sure how UAE4All works such as mouse emulation? Read the FAQ.

Last edited by Alex Atkin UK; 2010-03-26 at 01:58.

Posts: 604 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Phoenix, WA
Originally Posted by CraigRobbo View Post
After reading this i immedaitly picked up my hand set and listened to some high bitrate music and browsed google and a couple of forums - im on the latest firmware and can confirm not a single skip or jump

As for iplay - i too am disapointed in this

On a sid enote: i half expected the top reason to be 'because it dones come in pink' lol (thats why my misus said about it)

Thanks
I get stuttering too, very easily. If I am listening to something via media player, and am browsing even just one web page, with nothing else running, it will stutter I dont have anything sketchy installed either, im a noob user with nothign from testing or devels...

The Following User Says Thank You to SAABoy For This Useful Post:

Tags
top 3 issues with gf