I have a laptop connected to network with wired ether net. There is no wifi internet connectivity.

The laptop has bluetooth and wifi. Is there a way to connect n770 to laptop via bluetooth (or wifi) and then connect to network via wired ethernet network. I can install s/w on laptop if there is a need.

I googled it, but couldn't find any answer. Any pointer/links will help.

Thanks

Posts: 57 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ liverpool
Hi tama

My laptop in work is thru a wired ethernet so i use my laptops wifi to get net access on my n800.

Right lets try and remember what it is to do!

1, set up a network on laptop, call it what you want!

2, goto network connections and g to properties for your network card and choose to share internet access thru it

3, go to network connections and click and drag a box over your ethernet and your wireless connections and right click and choose bridge connections! this will bridge your ethernet over to your wifi.

4,go to advanced settings/advanced for your wireless connection and choose ad hoc connections only!
then switch your wifi on and do a search for it on n800.

I wish you luck, if i have any bits wrong, you will eventually discover what to do.

cheers

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Washington DC
you could do it via BT but its more of a pain. Do a search for PAN bluetooth if you're interested.

Wifi is rulled out. I googled more, and found solutions in similar lines as nylerididog. It is ruled out because, ad-hoc networks can not use WPA security. Though WEP security can be used, but I do not want WEP security.

I will try bluetooth. I found something at http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/8...th-windows-xp/ I havent tried this, but will try in couple of days and post the full process here.

Wait...this is doable?

So if I were to buy a Wireless NIC for my desktop, I could do the same thing without having to buy a wireless router and configuring an entirely new network topology?

N770 ordered 6/27/07
Arrived 7/3/07

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tennessee, US
on another note, I am currently using me 770 with a usb wifi off my XP machine, but i am using internet sharing w/adhoc, is there anyway to just make my XP machine into an ADHOC AP so i can see my SMB shares and so my router is what is giving the internet to my 770. (my xp machine randomly reboots while i am using the net on my 770 over my current setup)
Sorry i am not trying to take over this post