Active Topics

I have an OpenVPN Access Server.

I am attempting to use openvpn so that for when I hit those wifi networks that seem to only like TCP or only like 80 and 443, I can still receive calls.

The problem is, I've tried everything, I can find but the N810 just seems to refuse to connect to SIP via VPN.

I even tried SSH port forwarding, which my iPhone it works, still refuses. Even same exact sames and using socat, no luck.

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Belgium
There's a bugreport about this with some workarounds.
I haven't tried them yet.
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1860

Thank you so much, figures I look every where, the forums, Google, but forget about bug reports.

Though, looks like all is well now. Finally people can contact me when the need to, just a bummer I can't get my OpenVPN to work well on the iPhone.

Though, that's why I love the N810, it allows you to do all this and not lock you down to where you have to jailbreak the thing.

Nice to hear that the workaround helped you.
I guess I should try it out too then

Another option you could consider is installing Asterisk (in extras-testing, usual warnings apply), connecting the SIP client to a SIP account on your local asterisk server, and then using an IAX connection from Asterisk to connect to your PBX or an IAX provider. IAX uses only one port (UDP 4569) and passes through routers far more easily than SIP. Also a lot of places that block SIP don't block IAX If you're connecting to an ITSP or a private PBX it's clearly the better option.

We have an Asterisk server at work but it's not accessible from the public net so I don't have any other option but to use openvpn for this afaik
But I just setup the up/down scripts in the openvpn config as described in the bug report and "yippie" I can make SIP calls \o/

Am I missing something in the SIP client?

I am trying to receive Google Voice calls which forward to my SIP. This sends Google Voice calls to me with no problems through my VPN.

Google Voice wants me to press 1 to accept or 2 to send to voice mail.

Only problem is, I can't find any dialpad when I receive the call to choose, and if I can get in to the menu and attempt to go to DTMF Dialing but then usually Google Voice hangs up on me and sends the person to voicemail.

EDIT: Just an update for people having issues withe workaround scripts. Don't be alarmed if SIP doesn't connect at first after running the VPN. I swore the scripts were not working but waited a minute and suddenly SIP was connected.

Last edited by RedPenguin; 2010-03-26 at 02:47.