Originally Posted by N770-Freak View Post
Most people that have problems with sd/sdhc card had this problems already before 4.2007... so I would not say that you should not try an update.
So it is obviously not the upgrade which "kills" the card, as was alleged in this thread.

As most people don't have problems with SD cards, there is some realistic probability that only some cards do not work well or are broken by design. Would be interesting to know which manufacturer you used which didn't work thereafter. How long did you use the cards actively (reading/writing) before the problems occurred?

Originally Posted by Rider View Post
So it is obviously not the upgrade which "kills" the card, as was alleged in this thread.

As most people don't have problems with SD cards, there is some realistic probability that only some cards do not work well or are broken by design. Would be interesting to know which manufacturer you used which didn't work thereafter. How long did you use the cards actively (reading/writing) before the problems occurred?
How the new update makes things better or worse does only nokia know.
Did you read the links I gave you? There you can find the informations you're requesting. But in short again...
I used one Transcend 8GB SDHC Class 6 card in the internal slot and had never problems. Then I bought another Transcend card (same model) and used it in the external slot. Copying large files (~700 MB) to the external card caused input/output errors. With the old firmware+sdhc kernel these errors damaged the filesystem of the card. And after some testing and repairing the card was dead.
First I thought the card was not ok. But the exchanged card that I used in the new firmware was dead after only two attempts of copying a large file.
Then I took the internal card, that I used already for two month without problems, put it in the external slot and had the same problems... this card is now also dead.
But how should I/we know if this is only hardware related? I can refer only to the touchscreen issue. Not everyone had this problem, but the latest firmware update could resolve this.

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Sadly I don't have any other suggestions, but the above dmesg information would be useful detail in bug #1204 which may provide some clues to Nokia...
dmesg output added!
I hope that a nokia employee will give a statement.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Update: My 4 gb transcend sd card is NOT ok, as I reported earler. Since the new firmware installation it continually becomes corrupted. It is the internal card, a 2 gb card in an external slot has no problems. The 4 gb card seems fine after formatting, but that doesn't last long. There were NO problems with this card before the firmware updare. I'm not mad at anyone about this, just reporting it.

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Netherlands
I flashed the N800 on saturday and did not have any problems.
I have two 2Gb SD memory cards which work fine and did a restore
from backup, no problems what soever. I installed MaemoMapper,
ssh-server/client, FM-readio and my own progs, no problem what soever and best of all:

My touchscreen right edge sensitive problem is gone, sensitivity
over the whole screen area is excellent now! Needless to say,
I am very happy with the upgrade!

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Update: My 4 gb transcend sd card is NOT ok, as I reported earler. Since the new firmware installation it continually becomes corrupted. It is the internal card, a 2 gb card in an external slot has no problems. The 4 gb card seems fine after formatting, but that doesn't last long. There were NO problems with this card before the firmware updare. I'm not mad at anyone about this, just reporting it.
Please report your Problems also to bug #1204!
Don't forget to vote for this bug!

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
The author of the original 3.2007 SDHC patches has just posted a new blog item where he identifies that Nokia have not used all of his patches in the new firmware. He suggests that he may roll his own 4.2007 with his own patches - I'm all for that, but would like Nokia to get their act together on this issue.

The Nokia 2GB mini-SD card that came with my Navicore Navigation Kit no longer works. It happened with the previous firmware in the external slot. It worked for about 1 week and then while using the Navicore software the app locked up and I had to kill the process. Since then the card is totally dead, it is not picked up as being inserted on any system that I have tested it on. I did nothing to the card, so it would of been formated as FAT by Nokia.

I now have 2 Transcend 4GB 150x cards, and I am a little worried that they will be destroyed as well.

Does the problem only occur with FAT, not FAT32 or Linux, file systems?

Last edited by GeerGuy; 2007-07-09 at 18:53.

Originally Posted by N770-Freak View Post
dmesg output added!
I hope that a nokia employee will give a statement.
That looks indeed quite bad. If it was caused by the N800, and you had similar problems with other cards as well, it may also be caused a defective N800 device.