Posts: 124 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Italy
i hope we will see portrait mode on n900 , sometimes a mobile phone is really hard to use in landascape mode!! -.-

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 537 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ scotland
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
this phone have a real keyboard plz use it

If you can't send the SmS with two hands you dont need send it, or if you need to send you need another phone
i'dv love portrait sms, yeah the keyboards great for emails or long messages, but i cant touch type with this small a kb, so when i'm walking down the street or tuned into the tv i also want to be able to rattle off a quick reply without looking or having to open the phone and use both hands!

surely its not that much effort to at least give us the option?

its a sad day when i can't slip at least one hitchhiker reference in somewhere.

Originally Posted by Arif View Post
Knowing Nokia....No!
It's not a matter of knowing Nokia or not. The OS is built using GTK (I think). I think the next OS is built using QT, which has better support for things like switching between portrait and landscape mode. Easier to move forward to something that natively supports portrait rather then hacking around to take something that was designed for landscape to force it into a portrait mode

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The sms and mediaplayer portrait is quite important. Ofc we have the hw keyboard, but you wont always have both hands free!!

Yes QT will be much easir in supporting portrait / landscape auto sizing.

I remember QT based Qtopia for the Zaurus and the QT layout widgets aloowed auto placement and sizing of the controls in an app when rotated from landscape to portrait.

Of couirse it still require some thinking and planning ahead when designing the individual apps - but the native QT based environment allowed that very easily.

This is the reason why Nokia is insisting on implementing OS level rotation support in QT based Maemo 6 (MeeGo) - I guess.

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Austria, Amstetten
n900 will never get poitrait mode.... live with it or sell it and get a icrap....

19 Lockerz.com Invites Left -- PM me if you need one...

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/7...enixsiggi1.gif @ mods plz allow me that pic....

I would love to see portrait mode. Sure, the N900 isn't perfect and I understand it is more of a PC with phone capability than vice versa. But I don't think that should be an excuse during these times of great gadgets and gizmos. IMO, implementing portrait mode would enhance the user experience significantly.

Posts: 559 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cyprus
let us repeat yourselves shall we?NO, not for Maemo 5 it will never happen. For Meego yes

I have to say I was a skeptic regarding portrait mode, but I have to admit that I use it in the browser in portrait regularly, primarily for reading these forums, and with the iPhone version of Google Reader. I've got the half-press on the camera button mapped to the back function in the browser, and it rocks!

The only other app I run in portrait mode is the phone itself which is set for portrait only.

I find the rotation transitions to be glitchy and cause audio drop outs. If Nokia don't improve performance in that respect, they may as well forget further support for portrait mode, IMO. I'd be much happier with a slower rotation transition than the glitchy audio.

Generally, as far as my N900 is concerned, I'm a happy bunny
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

Originally Posted by fnordianslip View Post
I've got the half-press on the camera button mapped to the back function in the browser, and it rocks!
How did you do that?