kdrozd: lol now people will start asking why they can't get the update after the steps you mentioned...
I think you replaced one evil with another...!

Posts: 54 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Wrocław / Poland
Originally Posted by AsiQue View Post
kdrozd: lol now people will start asking why they can't get the update after the steps you mentioned...
I think you replaced one evil with another...!
how to get?", "when..." - they will always ask... but now about something new :P "

I've added this:
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't play with it unless you really know what you are doing, instead of posting complaints.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kdrozd For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by nMIK-3 View Post
Yes you are right. However since fring, a third party skype solution, is currently offering Skype Video Calls for all Symbian devices I see no reason why this option cannot come to the N900 plus in the N900 Skype is directly involved with the development.

I am not sure if fring is using the H264 or other protocol but they did manage to do it.
Fring I believe is using a custom streaming solution on their own servers to get around the issue.

It woud be nice ot have video calling from Skype but the question is whether they consider it a profitable investment of time to do this. I believe that it is a closed source module so Skype themselves would need to sort this one.

Originally Posted by kdrozd View Post
Ok, I've try with GTalk on PR1.2 SDK with my real gmail/gtalk account and contacts, I don't see "video call" button on any of my gtalk contacts or conversation window.
The video calling on GTalk for desktop for some daft reason needs to be via the web page and have the plugin installed - not via the GTalk desktop app - why, I have no idea! LOL.

I don't know if the web page to N900 works though. The tests I have done use an N8x0 to the N900 or two N900's. The video stream for GTalk on the N900 I believe requires H264 encoding. I seem to recollect someone saying they had done this with Asterisk for the PC and an N900 or N8x0 though.

Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
No dedicated ovi store
It has, it's just rubbish and doesn't work properly! LOL

No free navigation for the most expensive flagship device
The N900 is NOT a flagship device, the N97 has that dubious title!

No mms
The phone "app" is not as customisable as symbian

Even though the n900 has many more features when compared to others we still are missing some basic functionality.
The N900 is not primarily a phone, is it an internet device that can make phone calls.

I agree, as do most that these are desrable features but not for discussion in a thread about PR 1.2 - new thread please!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Fargus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jcompagner View Post
thats one fix that is needed yes.
But if i have to say what is the most lacking software piece on the N900 it is modest.
Yes i find it if more horrible then Ovi Maps.

IMAP support is really bad. No imap-idle (which is for a always on-line mobile device a must ), no sent folder support, it downloads way to much for example i tried it when i was in another country, the kilobytes where flying over the wire for almost nothing new..
Also UI wise i can go on and on... Its just one of the weaker parts of the N900..
New Thread please or use one of the Existing ones!

The Following User Says Thank You to Fargus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
Are we there yet?

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Originally Posted by Fargus View Post

The N900 is NOT a flagship device, the N97 has that dubious title!

You know, Fargus, I've said this so many times everytime someone said that the N900 is Nokia's flagship "phone", but I seriously got tired of repeating myself over and over again, I actually was thinking of creating a new thread saying that the N900 is NOT Nokia's flagship "phone"... but, then it will probably grow into a really nasty and flaming thread after that, so now I just keep it to myself and move on..

The Following User Says Thank You to bandora For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kdrozd View Post
Ok, I've try with GTalk on PR1.2 SDK with my real gmail/gtalk account and contacts, I don't see "video call" button on any of my gtalk contacts or conversation window.
Did you enable Video Calling option from Contact Settings as shown here? :

Also can you please try the same thing for Skype?

Last edited by nMIK-3; 2010-03-28 at 23:02.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
man,.... waiting for PR1.2 is like starving myself for the famine. So tempting, so close and yet so far away lol. SDK is out but where are you PR1.2.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maxximuscool For This Useful Post:

Tags
delete orangedouche again, delete post #205, delete post #225, maemo 5 sdk, pr 1.2, pr1.2