Active Topics

Poll: want portrait in the next firmware ?
Poll Options
want portrait in the next firmware ?

I don't see why there's people voting "NO"...

Portrait should be included as an option and those who would like to use it, be able of doing so. Those who are already confortable with the landscape view, just keep the portrait mode disabled.

Personally, I've got used to landscape and I could live without portrait, BUT HELL YES, there are many moments when portrait could be handy (ex: when you can't hold your device with both hands and need to send a SMS, or access a website (yes, microB allows you to see AN ALREADY OPEN SITE on portrait, but if you want to type an address you have to go back to landscape)).

Portrait should be an option, YES.. (or at least have a portrait mode for the SMS with a virtual KB)

Last edited by regp81; 2010-03-29 at 13:56.

The Following User Says Thank You to regp81 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by regp81 View Post

Portrait should be included as an option and those who would like to use it, be able of doing so. Those who are already confortable with the landscape view, just keep the portrait mode disabled.

Personally, I've got used to landscape and I could live without portrait, BUT HELL YES, there are many moments when portrait could be handy (ex: when you can't hold your device with both hands and need to send a SMS, or access a website (yes, microB allows you to see AN ALREADY OPEN SITE on portrait, but if you want to type an address you have to go back to landscape)).

Portrait should be an option, YES.. (or at least have a portrait mode for the SMS with a virtual KB)
well put. although each person has one vote so vote for anything u like...

People voted "no" because they read the question differently than you.

Consider the difference between "do you want cake?" and "do you think cake should be the first priority?" My original interpretation was "should the next firmware release have portrait mode?" and my original thought to that was "no, they have more pressing issues to prioritize".

If the question had been "do you want portrait mode?" I'd say "sure, why not."

Last edited by volt; 2010-03-29 at 14:24.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Originally Posted by regp81 View Post
because i personally dont want it, as explained earlier. It suits my need as it is now, and personally would much rather them getting on with other needs

Same view as the people who say yes, they have decided it they want it over other features

Whether you are on either side of the debate, nokia have said they will not be implementing it fully on this device. This does not stop app developers from implimenting it...

So i'd turn your tact around a bit and target developers, and meego/future developments
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

Anyway, the whole "portrait mode" seems a bit undefined to me. Why not talk about adding a portrait SMS application instead. That should be quite doable without any firmware features.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 75 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Verona, Italy
In my opinion, SMS app in portrait should be present, like is present phone app in portrait: come on dudes, how can you send sms when you have only one free hand??

Nothing else in portrait is needed.

Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
I find it very difficult to use the hardware keyboard in portrait mode.

Yes ...guys....i need my n900 in potrait mode ....

If I only have one free hand, I'm not writing sms. What in gods name are you doing with your other hand?

Oh wait. Do not answer.

The Following User Says Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
I wondered why it wasnt there for some time. But not anymore. why? because its simply impossible! widgets like the OMweather who almost needs the full 800 pixels width wouldnt even fit on the 480 pixels in portrait. It will be a mess to get these widgets to fit. none the less nokia will get its @ss whooped because thrid party developers make widgets that dont fit and every whiner in here starts whining the widgets are not shown correctly. If we had static widgets all made by nokia then maybe there was a possibility for it.

The only thing i agree with is that some apps should also be in portrait. sms would be nice. the iphone also has a portrait keyboard so it shouldnt be a problem for the n900.

Tags
disappointment imminent, search are the suck