Notices

Originally Posted by rebhana View Post
It is really not necessary to involve any other computer than the N900 to install dictionaries. I've posted a step-by-step description over here:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...112#post558112
The only possible complication from what the qstardict wiki tells you is that bz2 files can't be unzipped by tar on the fly. One has to unzip by "bunzip2" which is provided by the "bzip2" package in nokia-applications. It's just two lines in XTerminal per dictionary what you need.
I tried using this by following the instructions but no joy. The idea is great but it isn't ready for mainstream use. Is there any plan to allow installation from within the programme? For the moment I'm sticking with gTranslate.
I will follow this application though as I appreciate the work involved.

Posts: 579 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Austria
Originally Posted by Bratac View Post
I tried using this by following the instructions but no joy. The idea is great but it isn't ready for mainstream use. Is there any plan to allow installation from within the programme? For the moment I'm sticking with gTranslate.
I will follow this application though as I appreciate the work involved.
If you could be a bit more specific than "no joy" then I could try to find out where my instructions are incomplete. But so it's no joy for me, too.

Posts: 81 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Nagoya, Japan
In this thread (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=38984), someone mentions that he cannot use mscim while using toMOTko that is a Qt-4.6 application. I wonder if the problem comes from toMOTko or from Qt? Anyone has a similar issue when using QStarDict (that is also a Qt-4.6 application if I'm not mistaken)?

Posts: 53 | Thanked: 143 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Russia
I am planning to move documentation to wiki:
http://wiki.maemo.org/User:Sbir/QStarDict
Soon I will add an instruction on how to install dictionaries with screenshots.

Also new version will be released soon. It will be using Qt 4.6 and GUI will be more finger friendly.
Also I started working on GUI translation. Next version will include Russian translation.
I am looking for someone to help me with other languages. There is not much to translate (about 100 strings, in some languages most of them are translated).

For future I am planning to try to add the ability to translate words from other applications as maemo.it suggested. I am also planning to add more configuration options for word pronunciation so that it will be easier to use it with languages other than english.

@FBergeron QstarDict is currently using Qt 4.5.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to @SR For This Useful Post:
Posts: 344 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Los Angeles
Can you also fix the text tag bugs? They're still showing the underlying code instead of the correct formatting. Do you need screenshots?

Posts: 53 | Thanked: 143 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Russia
Originally Posted by sorodoros View Post
Can you also fix the text tag bugs? They're still showing the underlying code instead of the correct formatting. Do you need screenshots?
Is it the same problem as in http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=128 ?
If it is then I will be fixing it. If it's something else then please provide screenshots.

Posts: 344 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Los Angeles
In addition to that one there are these:

Last edited by sorodoros; 2010-03-31 at 14:19.

Originally Posted by @SR View Post
I am planning to move documentation to wiki:
http://wiki.maemo.org/User:Sbir/QStarDict
Soon I will add an instruction on how to install dictionaries with screenshots.
Great! But since it's such an (unnecessary) hassle to install by means of a separate computer when the N900 is already one itself, I would suggest to incorporate my command-line version there as well:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...112#post558112

At the moment this is only for power users, because they would need to install bzip2 manually, meaning they have to have rootsh. That's why I would strongly recommend having bzip2 installed automatically with qstardict, as I haven't yet found a single directory on the web which was not bz2. Then ordinary users could do a one-line command-line install of directories they downloaded.

Perhaps it would even be possible to incorporate that procedure in qstardict itself? For example by allowing to unpack any dictionary.tar.bz2-file the user provides into the configured dic-directory?

But for the moment, I would suggest to just include that information in your new wiki. If you don't mind, I'd volunteer for including it there - you can anyway modify that as you see fit. May I?

EDIT: If you haven't seen it yet, do have a look at this thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=45276&page=4 People are having amazing difficulties with installing directories themselves!

Last edited by rebhana; 2010-03-31 at 13:36.

Posts: 55 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Berkeley, CA
Nokia Applications repository is the first one in my catalog list, but there is no bzip or anything like it to download.

Let me see if I can write like you people..maybe someone would understand:

//user/ CAN SOMEONE //rooth
.cd POST THE EXACT LOCATION AND COMMANDS //mkdir..blabla
cd .. TO INSTALL THIS FREAKING BZIP APPLICATION -v -u lsdd foo
++==lulu ..// IT IS NOT ALREADY ON N900 ..mkdir qass
-z -r //..hhh +r +r OR PUT THE DAMN THING AS PART OF THE MISERABLE QStar SO PEOPLE CAN LOAD THE CRAP //mkdir -d

Originally Posted by asasan View Post
Nokia Applications repository is the first one in my catalog list, but there is no bzip or anything like it to download.

Let me see if I can write like you people..maybe someone would understand:

//user/ CAN SOMEONE //rooth
.cd POST THE EXACT LOCATION AND COMMANDS //mkdir..blabla
cd .. TO INSTALL THIS FREAKING BZIP APPLICATION -v -u lsdd foo
++==lulu ..// IT IS NOT ALREADY ON N900 ..mkdir qass
-z -r //..hhh +r +r OR PUT THE DAMN THING AS PART OF THE MISERABLE QStar SO PEOPLE CAN LOAD THE CRAP //mkdir -d
The required package is called bzip2. It is not an app that you can install from the application manager because it is not an app with graphical interface. It is a program to be run from the command-line (i.e., from XTerminal). It can be obtained from the Nokia Applications repository by the command "apt-get install bzip2", which requires root privileges. For the latter you need the "rootsh" package, but I'm not sure I should recommend such CRAP to you - you can too easily shoot yourself in the foot with it, brick your device, make you swear even more etcetc.

Tags
bada rox, help i'm stuck