Poll: How much traffic do you have monthly on your N900 via your carrier?
Poll Options
How much traffic do you have monthly on your N900 via your carrier?

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ London, Canada
How are the data logging tools?

Anything out there that can keep a counter based on the type of connection?

Originally Posted by Wvrent View Post
How are the data logging tools?

Anything out there that can keep a counter based on the type of connection?
There is a counter that keeps track of how much cellular data you have used (and some widgets to show/reset said counter)

Originally Posted by Wvrent View Post
Maybe part of my concern is how transition between access points work. Will it prioritize to WiFi and automatically switch to 2G when I'm out of the hotspot? Can applications that are known to be bandwidth heavy be set to work with only access points?

Any insight would be appreciated.
There are some tweaking that you can do: tell email client to download only when connected to wifi and so on. In my opinion it could be better (there are suggestions in brainstorms) but it is already workable, without surprises (if you set it up so that it always asks for a connection).

Could someone please advise or list where these counters are able to be accessed on the system directly?

I'm in the process of disputing the data charges as stated on my mobile bill and would like to be able to list and export the counters to correlate them with those in the statement.

Any assistance with this is appreciated.

Cheers,

Andrew

Posts: 313 | Thanked: 247 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by lronPaw View Post
Could someone please advise or list where these counters are able to be accessed on the system directly?

I'm in the process of disputing the data charges as stated on my mobile bill and would like to be able to list and export the counters to correlate them with those in the statement.

Any assistance with this is appreciated.

Cheers,

Andrew
I don't think there is a detailed log of data activity on the device. There is however a cumulative counter of cellular data sent/received in Settings ->Phone -> Data Counter

Posts: 16 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ S.E. Michigan USA
If you will need to do this frequently, there is a widget named Personal Dataplan Monitor (available in App Manager).

Originally Posted by don.ebright View Post
If you will need to do this frequently, there is a widget named Personal Dataplan Monitor (available in App Manager).
Yep, and this is what I'm using currently to guage my data use over 3G. Its a great app but there is significant difference between what the dataplan monitor is reporting (approx 250mb combined up/down) vs what my carrier bill is stating (approximately 700mb - assuming this is combined up/down).. hence my motivation to get a more detailed breakdown.

Posts: 16 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ S.E. Michigan USA
...there is significant difference between what the dataplan monitor is reporting (approx 250mb combined up/down) vs what my carrier bill is stating (approximately 700mb - assuming this is combined up/down)
The data plan counter doesn't measure some types of traffic (non-IP packets for example) and I suspect that the widget just reports the same number in a more convenient way. What the carrier chooses to count may be somewhat different, but it doesn't sound like a plausible justification for the huge discrepancy that you see.

I am currently using a prepaid SIM and only connect to Wifi. The data plan counters always show zero bytes as you would expect but running ifconfig in an xterm shows a nonzero byte count for the phonet0 interface even though it hasn't ever been given an IP address.

I haven't selected a carrier data connection or sent or received any text messages since rebooting yesterday, but the phonet0 interface shows:

RX bytes:90416 (88.2 KiB) TX bytes:3616 (3.5 Kib)

In the last few minutes, 16 new packets totaling 192 bytes have arrived.

All that I can suggest is watching the raw byte counts on the interface and see how that aligns with the values reported by the data plan monitor. It restarts from zero after every reboot so note the total before rebooting.

Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Some carriers have an accounting policy such as "minimum 100kB per session". If you just use a few kB at a time, this can result in a big discrepancy.

The Following User Says Thank You to eiffel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by eiffel View Post
Some carriers have an accounting policy such as "minimum 100kB per session". If you just use a few kB at a time, this can result in a big discrepancy.
My carrier has a 10kB per session minimum.

In Germany, other carriers like Tchibo (which uses the o2 network), have a minimum of 400kB per session! (!!!!!)

The typical data usage I've observed is appromimately 1.2 GB per month, up- and downstream combined.
I rarely use WiFi, I listen to online radio, use the browser a lot, update my apps using 3G

Last edited by youxing; 2010-04-01 at 13:57.