Active Topics

This alpha version takes up a lot on the rootfs (73%). Will there be room for everything else (GUI for example?)

Eikido

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
This version may contain stuff that will be removed.. anyway it's CERTAIN there'll be space for the GUI

Posts: 319 | Thanked: 289 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lisboa, Portugal
Originally Posted by jaeezzy View Post
a terminal? not even in fullscreen?
I just had the most horrible end to my excitement.
but as always looking forward for the next one with great hope...
Yes, sadly Nokia and Intel seem to be very lazy...
But sinc the code is out, you can contribute tons of time for it and make a better job than those 2 are doing right?

And as always looking forward for the next one with great hope...

Lets see what you will bring in one month..
Let the speculation begin

The Following User Says Thank You to HangLoose For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Why Lazy?

MeeGo is just a 'base' system that will be something that many platform will share in the near future.
The MeeGo that'll run on the N900 is based on this MeeGo that has been released today (fully open) with some additional closed source components and drivers that can't be released into the open due to licensing (as shame as that is).

They kept their word on what was about to be released.
If I read it correctly, the first MeeGo User Experience will be shown sometime in May.

Anyway.. this is the first day, the very first day and we're going to see how a fully blown system is going to be build almost from the very scratch.

Image this as a basic Ubuntu with no UI.. then on top of this we're going to get Xubuntu, Kubuntu and so on (i.e. the Ubuntu User Experiences).

This is what we've got today.
The MeeGo foundation. The first blocks.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to anidel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 319 | Thanked: 289 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lisboa, Portugal
Seems that you dont get sarcasm...

I was actually making fun of the post of the other guy cos apparently he seems to be able to do a much better job than Nokia+Intel, but you kinda killed my joke...

Anywho, <The next statement will also be sarcastic>Guess my accent sucks..

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HangLoose For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
After Day 1, the rest will follow soon – in the next few days, we will post the next steps leading to the first release of MeeGo in May.
http://meego.com/community/blogs/ima...go-development

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
So this is what we got today. Very promising. After year or two we may have a decently working system with some kind of GUI and some applications, then it’s nice to start from the scratch again.
It’s not a phone it’s a R&D-device for developers.

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Newcastle UK
Originally Posted by anidel View Post
Why Lazy?

MeeGo is just a 'base' system that will be something that many platform will share in the near future.
The MeeGo that'll run on the N900 is based on this MeeGo that has been released today (fully open) with some additional closed source components and drivers that can't be released into the open due to licensing (as shame as that is).

They kept their word on what was about to be released.
If I read it correctly, the first MeeGo User Experience will be shown sometime in May.

Anyway.. this is the first day, the very first day and we're going to see how a fully blown system is going to be build almost from the very scratch.

Image this as a basic Ubuntu with no UI.. then on top of this we're going to get Xubuntu, Kubuntu and so on (i.e. the Ubuntu User Experiences).

This is what we've got today.
The MeeGo foundation. The first blocks.
Could not have said it better myself... The release was exactly what i was expecting. Will join in the fun once my QT and programming skills come up to scratch but for now i am watching the developments in Gitorious with enthusiasm, ready to get involved.

To the teams that were involved with this initial release, great work. I think it is very positive to see a release in such a short space of time and it's good to know that things are on track according to the schedule.

Some questions here, what is the kernel version?

As a non-developer, I assume that this release for N900 is already past the points that make it so difficult to port other operating systems like Android to N900? (drivers or whatever it is that developers struggle with)

As developers, what will you test in this release?

Last edited by byte_76; 2010-03-31 at 19:33.

The Following User Says Thank You to byte_76 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 222 | Thanked: 205 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by jaeezzy View Post
a terminal? not even in fullscreen?
I just had the most horrible end to my excitement.
but as always looking forward for the next one with great hope...
This runs somewhat contrary to tradition indeed:

http://glyph.twistedmatrix.com/2008/...ow-system.html

I was expecting at least xeyes and xclock to be there.

Tags
yes it's a terminal