Originally Posted by cardiff-blues View Post
Guys, I got this on the back of two other users to this forum but my advice is do not get this holder.

It certainly holds the N900 snug and well and secures to the windscreen well enough but there is a slight design flaw with this holder and it should not be marketed as suitable for the N900.

When you secure the N900 into the casing it is so snug that there is no clearance for the buttons on the top of the N900. When I place mine in it just continually holds down the volume keys on the top. Also, sometimes it is so snug and can easily hit the power button.

I have to half slide the N900 out of this to ensure the buttons are not being depressed.

For those who have purchased this I would really like to know if it does the same on your N900. I have been even trying to glue a small piece onto the holder underside to prevent the buttons being keyed.

Thoughts please....
Hmm, I got one of these too and I must say I have been quite impressed with it, and certainly not noticed any buttons being covered up, now this may sound really really stupid but did you put it in the right way round as it is designed to only go in one way

Ive just been to double check mine again, and the only button that gets covered is the power button, but the holder part where the power button is covered has a groove in it so the holder applies no pressure to the power button

The volume keys and all other buttons on the phone and speakers all have cut outs on the holder part so are not covered at all

If you put the phone in the holder the other way round you dont have the groove for the power button and the volume keys are covered too

The release clip is where the top of the phone goes (with the usb socket)

Originally Posted by tpyro View Post
In case anyone's been thinking of doing the same, the Brodit mount can be filed down to allow room for an Invisible Shield (the full body one). I'd not recommend it though. The plastic is extremely tough and it took forever even using a Dremel tool, and it was impossible to get smooth... but it works.

I picked up this cheap one too:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tiny-Car-Holder-...#ht_4054wt_949

The grip works great but there are a few problems. It's portrait mode only (doesn't rotate), and the vent clip is a little too wide to fit between my car's vent louvres. Also it can push the power button inadvertently. Still it's much less intrusive than the Brodit, and with Sygic supposedly working in portrait mode, it could be a workable option w/Invisible Shield.

I have invisiblesheld on the back of my n900. Just got Brodit passive and it doesn't seem to fit. I think I'm putting it in right with brodit logo at the bottom and the top grip slides between the gap between the screen and top buttons on the phone.I'm afraid of scratching or damaging the phone.It must be a snug fit without the shield. Is my only options to file down or take off the shield.Where do you file down??

Last edited by LK1; 2010-03-31 at 10:13.

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
You are right. It is a snug fit without the sheild. It is also possibel to alighn it wrongt and almost jam the N900 in teh holder. Once toy get the knack though it is fine.

John

hi everyone, i can see that after 133 replies there is not still a final answer....

so browsing i found this one, what do you guys think?

i'm only concerned for the access to key functions buttons

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/i...ctronics&img=1

Hi All,

I finally took the plunge yesterday and order my ProClip and Active Brodit Mount from Car-Mounts.co.uk. Cost £50 for the lot, so it better be damn good! lol! I'll let you know how I get on!

Dex

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
Originally Posted by satello View Post
hi everyone, i can see that after 133 replies there is not still a final answer....

so browsing i found this one, what do you guys think?

i'm only concerned for the access to key functions buttons

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/i...ctronics&img=1
Wow that mount is almost bigger than the N900 itself. Hideous IMHO

Originally Posted by satello View Post
What? There are three mounts at least listed on this thread. The passive and active ones from Brodit and another ebay one . What final answer are you after?

Originally Posted by bockersjv View Post
Wow that mount is almost bigger than the N900 itself. Hideous IMHO
I concur, I would never let something that ugly touch my N900 (I exclude myself from that rule obviously! ).

Originally Posted by LK1 View Post
I have invisiblesheld on the back of my n900... Where do you file down??
I filed deeper channels, mostly on the top where the buttons slide but also at the opposing side. It seems like it would weaken the holder but if you don't go overboard it's not a problem. I also needed to remove the angled guides where the edges meet the flat part. These are the parts that press against the long edges of the back of the phone (up close they look like two short, extremely wide stairways). Luckily the flat backing itself didn't interfere.

I'll emphasize that it came out looking really ugly in my case and wasn't worth the bother. The plastic is extremely tough and hard to remove, let alone get smooth. Also I chewed up part of the invis. shield by repeatedly sliding the phone in to test the fit.

The Following User Says Thank You to tpyro For This Useful Post:

Tags
n900 carkit mount