Active Topics

Hi. I have two problems that I hope someone here can help me solve.

Problems:

1. Application Manager, when started, pops up a window stating: Operation Failed [OK]. After tapping OK, the screen says:
Main > Show installed applications
(no applications installed)
although there are applications installed and they still run.

2. I downloaded the supertux deb file and used the application manager to install it. Supertux does not run. I tried starting in from the command line (by cd'ing to /user/bin and entering ./supertux so that I could see the error messages. Here's what it told me:
Error: I could not load the icon image: /usr/local/share/supertux/images/icon.xpm.
The Simple DirectMedia error that occured was:
Couldn't open /usr/local/share/supertux/images/icon.xpm.

I believe installing Supertux and/or trying to run Supertux caused the problem with the Application Manager, because it wasn't until I installed Supertux that I had this problem.

Anyone know what I need to do to get the Application Manager working? I'd also like to uninstall Supertux. but the Application Manager is the main probelm here. I already tried re-starting the Nokia tablet.

Thanks,

Killick

OK, here's some more info:

I tried to use apt-get (as root) to remove the program that I believe failed its install and led to the Application Manager problem. When I tried to remove supertux, apt-get told me I have "Segmentation faulty tree... 50%"

Anyone know what I can do to fix this?

Thanks, and Happy Thanksgiving to US users!

-- Killick

Hi, everyone.

I've solved my own problem. Here's what I learned.

A guy named James posted his experiences with this error at:
http://hamesterrepublic.com/james/linux/

The problem is that some cache files are corrupted. If you remove these files, then you can start the Application Manager again and it works.

First, start a terminal and become root. (If you can't start the terminal and become root, then I don't know what you'll need to do. I don't believe the File Manager will let you remove the corrupted files if you're not root)

Then,

cd /var/cache/apt

mkdir bak_cache
(or whatever you want to call your back-up copy of the files to be removed).

mv *cache.bin bak_cache/

This moves the files into the back-up directory without leaving copies behind. Because the Application Manager only looks in one place for these files, it is the same as deleting them as far as the App. Manager can tell. Exit the terminal program and restart the Application Manager. Hopefully all will be well. It worked for me. If that didn't work, you can restore your files from the backups and look for another solution. Good luck!

-- Killick

Posts: 564 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fayetteville, GA
I've never had this particular problem with the Application Manager, but I'm happy to here the problem is getting resolved by those that are having this issue. Great work killick.
3pm - So good, it's illegal

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Schwedt/Germany
I have the same problem - the application manager doesn't work. It could also come while installing Supertux.
But I have no terminal to become root to solve the problem.
Any other idea?

OK, susannes, I don't know what to tell you here. To become root, I have a program installed called "becomeroot." If you haven't installed that program, and you can't use the application manager to install it, then you're going to have to do something else to get root access. I remember other threads about ways to get root access-- I don't recall what the steps involved, but there may be some hope for you in those old threads. I wish I had better advice for you. Sorry. Good luck.

--killick

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
This may help, Susannes, http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ead.php?t=7680

I solved my problem by unchecking the enable button (disable) the last repository that giving the problem.

Good luck.

bun

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jul 2007 @ New York, USA
I had the exact same "Operation Failed" problem but my log was totally different:

E: Problem parsing dependency Depends
E: Error occured while processiong osso-suw-l10n-mr0 (NewVersion1)
E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/dpkg/status
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

This is what I did for my problem:

Code:
sudo gainroot
mv /var/lib/dpkg/status /var/lib/dpkg/status-crappy
cp /var/lib/dpkg/status-old /var/lib/dpkg/status
apt-get update
and it worked

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Clearwater, Florida
Thank you Bluezz
Your code just worked for me also!!

Hey Buzz, I can beat that for weird.
I had the same problem.
I moved my status file. Copied the status-old, and it worked.
But, there were a few differences in the files (application install status), so I figured I'd see if I could fix it.
So, I copied the status.bad back to status, to start to track errors and see if I could fix it...
And it worked...
All I did was copy it, replace it with the status-old, then copy it back.
I knew the information was back because a "dpkg -L mediacenter" showed me info (it showed an error before), and it didn't with the status-old copied in (it didn't error, just didn't show that it was installed).
Weird, but I'll take it. :-)

desiv