Poll: Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!
Poll Options
Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ USA
wow...amazing. just downloaded the flasher and 1st time flashing phone that way.

updated to the 900mhz, extremely fast to do so. will report as to my stability after using a while.

....still cant believe how fast that was to flash the kernal!

i use my phone a lot....so i should be able to tell a differnce.

Posts: 91 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ UAE/Dubai/Burj Khalifa
OMG....when i started a thread about overclocking long time ago (i made the ^ poll but it was merged with another thread)....everyone was laughing at the idea and saying its not needed and would kill the N900...blah blah

And now...look what happened....everyone is overclocking except ME loool

Okaaaay, need to do some reading....like 47 pages

lol

Its time to stop posting!!!!!
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/1646/stopposting.jpg

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ahmed360 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ USA
dont bother reading it all, just look at the pages from the 42 on.

just OCed my n900 to 900mhz!

works much faster.

noticed:

-smoother scrolling in contacts, messaging, phone list, web pages
-faster rendering of web pages with micro-b
-smoother scrolling between the 4 desktops (mine are pretty full with icons and widgets)
-much faster rendering when tapping the contacts, email, calendar, conversations icons!!! MUCH FASTER RENDERING!
-faster, smoother scrolling through pictures, and again, faster rendering wehn tapping on the icon.

OVER-ALL, THIS UNIT, FAST BEFORE, NOW CAN MOVE ABOUT AS FAST AS I CAN TAP!

thank you!!!!

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
Although it was still jerky while browsing and using the app manager to update a few apps. But this makes me wonder why was it underclocked so low in the first place?
Well. We still do only have 256MB of fast RAM unfortunately.

It's not really underclocked. The Cortex A8 when first available would not have had such good yield as they do now. (it was available even back in 2008 if I remember correctly) The specs are still the same however. So 600Mhz is a guaranteed stable speed for mobile devices. Also, they do need to take in considerationthe worst case scenario of heat, power usage etc. I reckon the CPU itself can handle 1ghz just fine in 90% of the samples. It's just that the percentage goes down depending on which environment it is used in. (voltage, heat dissipation etc) If you over volt the cpu, I reckon 1.2ghz+ is easily possible. But, then you are going towards a serious hw-level danger zone.

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ England
Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
Well. We still do only have 256MB of fast RAM unfortunately.

It's not really underclocked. The Cortex A8 when first available would not have had such good yield as they do now. (it was available even back in 2008 if I remember correctly) The specs are still the same however. So 600Mhz is a guaranteed stable speed for mobile devices. Also, they do need to take in considerationthe worst case scenario of heat, power usage etc. I reckon the CPU itself can handle 1ghz just fine in 90% of the samples. It's just that the percentage goes down depending on which environment it is used in. (voltage, heat dissipation etc) If you over volt the cpu, I reckon 1.2ghz+ is easily possible. But, then you are going towards a serious hw-level danger zone.

The ARM Cortex™-A8 processor is based on the ARMv7 architecture and has the ability to scale in speed from 600MHz to greater than 1GHz. The Cortex-A8 processor can meet the requirements for power-optimized mobile devices needing operation in less than 300mW; and performance-optimized consumer applications requiring 2000 Dhrystone MIPS

http://www.arm.com/products/processo.../cortex-a8.php

Any chance we can get the flasher in a repo so makes it easier for updates?
Also - anyone done any battery benchmarks?

Scott

Overclocking things are too riskly to be uploded to repos (unless maybe an overclocking special repo if someone create one) even if no problems have been reported so far.
For me no problem with 900Mhz

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ England

Posts: 118 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Saint Louis, MO, USA
I understand why folks put the "doom and gloom" and "proceed at your own risk" warnings, but if you're willing to trust the opinion of this stranger, take from me, if you're on the fence about this, you'll be doing yourself a HUGE favor. This is abosolutely not the same device I've owned for the past 5 months. This really is like having a whole brand new toy.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Okay guys... Been testing for a while and the battery is holding up just ike normal.

Tried a couple of things...

1. Tried watching my sport subscription via mplayer and it played great with sound. This is a streaming nsv stream which never played well with sound
2. Tried HD videos on vimeo which played pretty okay although with litlle jerks
3. Tried hulu but no use as it asks for flash player upgrade

Tags
cooking on gas, cortex-a8, faster, first to fry it wins!, hardware, its smoking, n900, need for speed, need for weed, nos, omap, omap3, omap3430, overclock, overclocking, soc, system-on-a-chip, the dogs, this thread got good!, vtec just kicked in y0!, warranty will be void, whooplah, zoom zoom