Poll: Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!
Poll Options
Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!

Posts: 503 | Thanked: 267 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by miwalter View Post
It's 5 years only, when the cpu runs at 600Mhz (or 720) _all the time_ when it's running. But as the n900 switches clock - the math to calculate the lifespan goes far beyond basics.
It seems to be more complex than this. Based on the tables from the datasheet, the lifespan gets significantly shorter if CPU runs more than 1/4 of time at 600MHz. I guess in reality there are no such big jumps in lifespan when going from 1/4 to 1/3 600MHz percentage for example and the tables give only rough approximations (with a good safety margin), but still they show some overall picture.

Another interesting thing is that the expected lifespan is longer when running constantly at maximum 600MHz clock frequency, than jumping between different clock frequencies arbitrarily. Maybe it's somewhat similar to lightbulbs lifespan (they also fail faster if you turn them on/off frequently, than just having them permanently lighted).

But the point is still the same. If most of omap chips can run safely at very high clock frequencies, I guess TI would bin them and sell really lots of high speed chips, blasting the competition (snapdragons, etc.). This does not seem to be happening.

Last edited by Serge; 2010-04-05 at 14:44.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Serge For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by miwalter View Post
It's 5 years only, when the cpu runs at 600Mhz (or 720) _all the time_ when it's running. But as the n900 switches clock - the math to calculate the lifespan goes far beyond basics.

Simple as that: we cannot say for sure how many days/months/years the lifespan will degrade. Absolutely sure seems to be, that there is _some_ sort of degradation *sing* - but I guess no one of us (hardcore-gamers excepted - they should've bought a psp in the first place *g*) will see a dying cpu the next few years.
Hehe,
PSP can be overclocked to 333Mhz too, and I believe many are doing that since it's available and playing non-stop for hours and over Wi-Fi too.

Posts: 146 | Thanked: 119 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Spain
Serge... do you own a N900?

Originally Posted by Faz View Post
Are we sure this is related to the kernel flash?
I flashed it to the 900 Mhz and my Settings, About product reads:

Nokia N900
Maemo 5
Version: 3.2010.02-8.203.1
can some one explain how the phone information stayed?

@ronaldo in the configuration menü > productinfo
put after the kernel patch this info meens version:<unknow>

Originally Posted by meegode View Post
@ronaldo in the configuration menü > productinfo
put after the kernel patch this info meens version:<unknow>
mine is unknown but that user kept his info

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 842 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Serge View Post
Another interesting thing is that the expected lifespan is longer when running constantly at maximum 600MHz clock frequency, than jumping between different clock frequencies arbitrarily. Maybe it's somewhat similar to lightbulbs lifespan (they also fail faster if you turn them on/off frequently, than just having them permanently lighted).
Yeah, the CPU heating up and then cooling down in cycles certainly puts some stress on it.

I thought it was clear from the beginning that people worrying about device lifetime should just steer clear of overclocking - and the rest have accepted the possibility of a catastrophic failure (assuming they even read the warnings). Oh well, at least there are now a couple of warnings more.

Last edited by hqh; 2010-04-05 at 15:02.

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ USA
@Ronaldo
Originally Posted by humble View Post
well i do... first i did the emmc image.. then i did the image befor PR 1.1.(back to back) then the 900 kernel image....
then i updated with App manager (sorry not PC Suite)
this is what i did

and the info in about is not unknown

Posts: 249 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ International
Engadget has added fuel to the fire with their maemo.org source

- Nokia N900 overclocked to 1GHz in bid to outrun obsolescence (video)
By Thomas Ricker posted Apr 5th 2010 at 4:22AM -

since when do we need to overclock our '900s to save them from obsolescence?

Originally Posted by Lehto View Post
Oh man this got really out of hand. I bet nobody even reads the warnings about device wearing and other numerous problems that come with them.
Its everybodys decision. Nothing more, nothing less. Im aware of the fact the OC can significantly reduce my N900s lifespan. This is not about getting out of hand. Dot!

The Following User Says Thank You to michalurban For This Useful Post:

Tags
cooking on gas, cortex-a8, faster, first to fry it wins!, hardware, its smoking, n900, need for speed, need for weed, nos, omap, omap3, omap3430, overclock, overclocking, soc, system-on-a-chip, the dogs, this thread got good!, vtec just kicked in y0!, warranty will be void, whooplah, zoom zoom