Posts: 3 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Westlake, OH
Is anyone using the Nokia as a remote for some web-based media server for DVD playback? I use it strictly for Slimserver use, but my buddy wants to do that, as well as use it to access his pc-based ripped dvd movies. Is there a dvd server out there that is web-based that the Nokia can point to (he doesn't want to watch dvd's on his Nokia, just search/browse and control...like a Slimserver/Squeezbox Mokia 770 skin). Thanks
Ted

What about VNC?

N770 ordered 6/27/07
Arrived 7/3/07

Thanks, but it looks like VNC is simply a desktop pc-anywhere emulation kind of thing; it still requires a media server somewhere. My buddy has nothing, just picks from a folder on hsi local pc (which he wants to rid himself of once he gets a Squeezebox and uses his basement-based server). I'm trying to see if there is a web-based media server out there that the Nokia can point to. Thx

VNC is more like remote access to your PC...you control the PC through VNC. It'll do exactly what he wants it to.

N770 ordered 6/27/07
Arrived 7/3/07

So through VNC he can see his folders and then see PowerDVD or WINDVD (or whatver software DVD player he uses), and control from the Nokia? Thx

Should be able to. It's basically just remote access to the computer.

N770 ordered 6/27/07
Arrived 7/3/07

I'm getting mceguru when mine comes - in beta at the moment, and does require media centre but from the video I can see that it controls media centre (and therefore all music, pics, video's and dvd's available)

I use VNC to control my Windows HTPC box. I use Media Player Classic.

I'd love to have some kind of integrated player that does everything I want without having to emulate a PC screen, though. It's tedious setting up full screen, finding files through Windows Explorer, etc.

Check sourceforge.net, I'm pretty sure I have seen more than one open server to do what your asking. OR code your own in AutoIT, most of the code needed you'll find in their source code repository. http://www.autoitscript.com

Originally Posted by gbm View Post
I'm getting mceguru when mine comes - in beta at the moment, and does require media centre but from the video I can see that it controls media centre (and therefore all music, pics, video's and dvd's available)
MCEguru looks cool but its not available for download. But it looks cool.