Active Topics

Posts: 41 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Woodbridge, CT USA
Mashable has an article up,
LEAKED: HP Slate Gets Priced and Specced

"32 GB storage, 1 GB RAM, a 1.6 GHz Atom processor, and an 8.9-inch multitouch screen at 1024 x 600 pixel resolution...an SDHC card slot, USB port, two cameras (one external 3-megapixel and one front-facing VGA for videoconferencing usage), Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS, support for 1080p video playback, a dock connector for power, audio, and HDMI out to your TV, and a SIM card slot for optional 3G connectivity"

The downside is that it runs Windows 7. I wonder if it will be possible to load Mobin, or MeeGo, when both the HP Slate and MeeGo are available.

Thoughts?

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Meego is going to be released May 1st... so not far away.

id stick gentoo on it, modules permitting. Whats allways made me ponder though about this device, is how one would right click?

Originally Posted by ahynes1 View Post

"32 GB storage, 1 GB RAM, a 1.6 GHz Atom processor, and an 8.9-inch multitouch screen at 1024 x 600 pixel resolution...an SDHC card slot, USB port, two cameras (one external 3-megapixel and one front-facing VGA for videoconferencing usage), Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS, support for 1080p video playback, a dock connector for power, audio, and HDMI out to your TV, and a SIM card slot for optional 3G connectivity"

The downside is that it runs Windows 7. I wonder if it will be possible to load Mobin, or MeeGo, when both the HP Slate and MeeGo are available.

Thoughts?
You cant really state that Win7 is a downside,because i believe its a matter of personal prefference.Anyways,i'd take it over the iPad anytime.

Posts: 99 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Tampere, Finland
Originally Posted by ahynes1 View Post

Thoughts?
I started thinking about Moblin + some slate/tablet netbook combo half a year ago when I bought netbook for my gf and tried Moblin with it. Moblin was at version 2.0 at that time and it didn't support 3G dongles (at least out of the box) which was the reason I moved to Ubuntu instead. Moblin looked very promising and I liked many things about it but lack of 3G support was deal breaker for me.

I will watch Meego and HP Slate development closely. I could do some actual work and also couch surfing with that thing. So it's a device that I might very well buy if the price is right. But I'm still hoping that MS pulls its act together and releases Courier this year. Now, that is a device that I want!

Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
Indeed this does sound more enticing than iPad.

This would be a dream come true if I could get an Ubuntu-Win7 doubleboot on it. Or any other Linux distro with support for multitouch to boot with Win7.

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by roundyz View Post
Whats allways made me ponder though about this device, is how one would right click?
That is one of the examples why the WIMP UI paradigm doesn't really work on tablets.

It can be worked around with something like press-and-hold or two-finger click but both of them would feel like a cludge.

Better to use something like Maemo/MeeGo that is designed from ground up for touchscreen devices.

The Following User Says Thank You to bergie For This Useful Post:
lol, i just have a HP touchscreen notebook with Win7 and Ubuntu

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Canada
I'd like buttons, but why wouldn't simply holding down longer work for right-click?

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by bergie View Post
That is one of the examples why the WIMP UI paradigm doesn't really work on tablets.

It can be worked around with something like press-and-hold or two-finger click but both of them would feel like a cludge.

Better to use something like Maemo/MeeGo that is designed from ground up for touchscreen devices.
yep, a pr file type action menu of sorts, always available so that one could tap once to highlight, tap on the actions menu icon (or whatever). Another issue is multiple sections, when one cant do simple area drag.

but the worst offender to me have always been "mouse over".

Tags
major fail