I just ordered my N800 and with all the talk of SD cards getting corrupted. I am not sure what I should get in time being.

Is the issue only with the High Capacity cards?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Also I wanted to say this forum was very helpful in making my decision to purchase an N800 along with all of ThoughtFix's videos on YouTube. I definitely the N800 has dedicated community behind it.

-- Jeremy

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
No, both standard SD and SDHC cards have suffered corruption to the point where they cannot be formatted in any device using any known software.

It's likely that you won't be hit by the bug but the possibility does exist so I would advise caution for the time being and use only the cheapest card you can afford to lose. While most reputable vendors and manufacturers will replace "faulty" cards, it's going to be a pain to replace them unless you buy from a local bricks & mortar store.

Nokia have stated they are aware of the problem and are on the case looking for a solution, but it may take a few more weeks of collating details, debugging and thorough testing before any fixes become available.

Thoughtfix - he's a one man blogging machine!

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
If you definitely want to steer clear of the latest issues with sd cards, you should get a 2 gb non-sdhc card, the most supported by Nokia on the N800 till recently. Personally, I will get an 8 gb hdsc card from a reputable manufacturer, though I may stall a bit, hoping for more info on this issue.

Thanks guys! I just ordered a cheapo 2 gig SD card from New Egg. I am looking forward to taking my N800 on my upcoming business trip.

-- Jeremy

I just ordered two 8GB SD cards from eBay. It says "OEM Toshiba" on the auction (check item #270144866562). And boy.. did they work AWESOME! I have dual boot from internal MMC with total available memory 7.49GB for installing applications!

And no problems so far, except that it is probably a little slower compared to running it from the device memory.