Active Topics

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Ireland
Hello all!

Totally new to the game, only got my 770 yesterday! I really do like it, but part of the reason I got it was to use it to VNC on to our server here at work so I could have access while out and about troubleshooting. VNC is set up on the server and working away happily when connecting to them from a PC. It took me a while to find a vnc installation which would actually install on the 770, I think the one I got installed in the end was version 0.5.

When I try to connect to the IP address or name of the server (or my pc, for that matter), I get an error message saying 'Could not connect to server'. I thought it might be a network problem so I assigned my 770 a static IP address, but no difference. Is there anything else I can try?

Please keep instructions simple, as I'm a simple person I have no previous linux experience.

Deirdre

Posts: 57 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ liverpool
Same here, and i have used vnc for a while on pc's!

any tips

cheers

Did you do basic connectivity check (ping your pc from tablet)? I would also check incoming connections to your pc (netstat, or better tcpdump) Not every VNC server can work properly with maemo vnc client (http://maemo.org/downloads/product/vnc-viewer-bora), try to play with the VNC server settings (compression etc.). I succesfully tested with TightVNC 1.2.9 on Windows.

Posts: 91 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Marlow, Bucks
Are you trying to connect to your VNC server within your local network, or over the Internet from outside?

If you are connecting on the same local network (perhaps to test it) make sure you are using the local IP address of your VNC server and not the (Internet) IP address of your router.

Obvious I know, but it caught me out when I was first trying to set VNC up!

I can see how that would happen alright! No, using it on the same network, using the LAN ip address (and the local machine name).. No joy. Like nyleridedog, I'm well versed in using the pc version!

I can confirm that UltaVNC server 1.0.2 on Windows works

mfresh, tried that, no luck. Works from another PC alright, but not from the 770. Might I ask where you got the 770 software from?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by namorvx View Post
Did you do basic connectivity check (ping your pc from tablet)? I would also check incoming connections to your pc (netstat, or better tcpdump) Not every VNC server can work properly with maemo vnc client (http://maemo.org/downloads/product/vnc-viewer-bora), try to play with the VNC server settings (compression etc.). I succesfully tested with TightVNC 1.2.9 on Windows.
I don't know how simple 'ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx' doesn't work from x terminal, so I figure I'm doing it wrong. Will try the other software like you suggested.

Last edited by Quackles; 2007-07-18 at 14:35.

<red face> Sorry - I've lost the plot... I'm using an N800 not an N770. Sorry </red face>

I got the Viewer from vncviewer.garage.maemo.org/
Is this where you got it from It clearly has a picture of someone using the 770 version, so I assume it must be possible to get it to work on your machine.

I got it to work from a 770 to an XP Pro running a RealVNC server enterprise edition just over the LAN. But it certainly should work over the Internet too, I just haven't tried it.

Which version of VNC is your server?
What IP number are you trying to connect to from your 770?

It sounds like your 770 and PC are not even seeing each other, from the error message. Try ping like others suggested (but you'll have to turn on responds to pings on your router). Maybe it's a firewall issue...have you consulted with your work's sysadmin?

PS I'm using the VNC client by Levinson, v 0.6

At home now.. 'server' is xp pro laptop, no firewall. IP is 192.168.1.3 (lan). Don't know how to ping on it, tried typing ping 192.168.1.3 at xterm and as root, but it said the command wasn't recoginsed. RealVNC on laptop, client is link posted by mfresh. No point asking sysadmin at work, that's me, the one woman IT department Firewall shouldn't be an issue over the LAN, besides, works fine from pc.