Originally Posted by anidel View Post
From this POV it seems the best solution would be to have PR1.1 -devel and -testing along with PR1.2 -devel and -testing as well.
Just a small correction - it was PR1.0 -devel, not PR1.1. When PR1.1 SDK was released, the autobuilder was upgraded, and the same problem arose, the solution back then was immediate return of the autoduilder to PR1.0 SDK, which it remained the case until PR1.2 SDK was released, and someone forgot the lesson that was learned a few months ago.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
In all cases, just because the user has the option to choose, we need to have a means for our updates to address the needs of those users.

May be this place, however, is not the right one to discuss?

I am surprised that there isn't more frustration here about essentially broken autobuilder. Because I definitely am frustrated about the situation.

At this point I would say it was a mistake to change autobuilder to new SDK so soon. Maybe it could still be reverted to the old SDK? Having 80% (number made up) of applications broken or not being able to upgrade them is not worth of anything what was intented with builder change.

At least I'm sure that next time we will wait for the real release.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikkov For This Useful Post:
Posts: 754 | Thanked: 630 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London
is there a choice ?, i would definetely want it rolled back.
I for sure dont want to use the PR1.2 until I know a release date, or atleast there is an assurance from Nokia that the formal image of the OS is released within x weeks of the SDK or something along those lines.
Can the community council do something about it , if there is a fair share of support for it , the rollback of autobuilder I mean ?
Travelapp - london underground status/planner ( website )
Batlevel - desktop widget for battery level ( website )

“I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”

Last edited by krk969; 2010-04-14 at 15:20.

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
one of solutions to make your own build on old SDK and to use local repo(at your computer). as i understand it right

Posts: 754 | Thanked: 630 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London
ZogG , the problem is mainly about the autobuilder, the issue that we cannot upload anysome packages to the repository(due to dependency issues being discussed in the forums since it builds using PR1.2.
Of course, we can still continue developing locally with the old SDK if you choose not to upgrade.
Travelapp - london underground status/planner ( website )
Batlevel - desktop widget for battery level ( website )

“I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”

Last edited by krk969; 2010-04-14 at 15:42.

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
From and user (not developer) perspective, this is getting very frustrating. I now have around 8 apps that I can not update in my app manager list. So now when I get an update notification, I have to scroll through the list to find it (and get reminded of all the apps I can't update). Sometimes the newest update works, but more often it fails.

Since I don't follow the mailing lists, it seems (not that this is true) that there is very little concern or work being done to fix the situation. I believe that we're going on three weeks now for this problem. Both users and developers are getting frustrated.

Surely, there is a priority to resolve the isssue? Or are we simply waiting and praying that Nokia will release PR1.2 soon and resolve at least some of the issues?

Any pointers on where to look for updated progress?

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 498 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Poland
The people who are saying that this is only a problem for developers and not users, I would suggest reconsidering your position. If the developer needs to deliver an important security update or a data loss prevention update, he is unable to do so, leaving them with an option to not use an application for over a month, of course in a fairy-tale land where early warnings are delivered to users.

I would like to know what was the basis for the decision to switch the autobuilder to PR1.2 on that specific date rather than, for example, today? Qt applications would be updated by any caring developer within days of PR1.2 release, no other applications would have been affected. Now both hildon and qt applications are affected and have been for several weeks, leaving developers and users frustrated. This is a miniscule community compared to the Android Market or the App Store, but imagine the outrage if this had happened in those places. It's not enough that we are so small, let's make things even more difficult. Imagine someone coming in right now, wanting to develop something for the N900. Not really possible to test in on the device (if you have an up-to-date SDK installed), not really possible to deliver to users (if you want the official channel, not building your own repository). It's just sad.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tomaszd For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by krk969 View Post
is there a choice ?, i would definetely want it rolled back.
I for sure dont want to use the PR1.2 until I know a release date, or atleast there is an assurance from Nokia that the formal image of the OS is released within x weeks of the SDK or something along those lines.
Can the community council do something about it , if there is a fair share of support for it , the rollback of autobuilder I mean ?
The issue is discussed, the posts referenced above are actually a result of the preceding council analysis. As for the SDK delay, Nokians themselves on the dev list said the delay is/was essentially bigger then originally intented, but of course with the no release date policy it sadly always includes a certain amount of guesswork. I don't really see a good solution for the simultaneous support of different versions, the choice seems to be that of determining the lesser evil among the various possible scenarios. The simplest would probably be the introduction of an extras-experimental which would have no connection to the other extras repositories and then when the SDK is released, experimental becomes extras-devel...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 48 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ United Kingdon
I agree. very frustrating but i cant see how this can be resolved pre 1.2 release effectively. We can only hope that 1.2 is just round the corner.