Active Topics

Posts: 41 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Toronto
Cool - I usually don't worry about electronics breaking, at least not after a month. If they're defective, you'll probably know sooner than that. But I worry about the N900 USB problem. Do new units still suffer from this defect? I couldn't tell from skimming the threads.

I guess for extra insurance, there's always newegg's $50 extended warranty option too....

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Toronto, Canada
to be completely honest, I've had mine since the end of January, also from newegg, and haven't had any hardware issues at all with it.

the only software problems it did have, were since patched up.

The Following User Says Thank You to PAFaieta For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Hey Torontonians! Make sure you go to the Mobile Geeks meetup tonight! See this thread for more details.

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I can tell you that I will be ecstatic if the Rogers network gets N900 (2100 band) support. The Fido plan I'm on is cheaper than anything I can get through Wind, and I'm just not able to use anything that could approach "unlimited data". I hate the word "unlimited" anyway, because there's no such thing and if a company uses a fictional concept like "unlimited data", I wonder how true the rest of their marketing is.

For the small amount of time that I'm away from WiFi, I would love to have 3G, but I can be careful and just stay under the 500MB cap that Fido imposes.

If Skype/VoIP calling is possible over 3G, I might have to re-evaluate my stance, but I can't even use 200MB a month surfing the web and chatting on IM and IRC for a couple hours a day.
qole, new data plans announced today may tickle your fancy. 500 MB for $20. SIP/Skype work as well. SIP got fixed last week finally.

In any case, cheaper than fido, and faster too! YVR launches soon I imagine, but the wind network in YVR is working right now.

http://www.windmobile.ca/community/W...etwork-update/

Last edited by EIPI; 2010-05-05 at 20:03.

The Following User Says Thank You to EIPI For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Oooh, $20 data... consider my fancy to be tickled! Same price but at 3G instead of 2.5G...

But here at UBC, only Rogers/Fido is showing on my "choose network" dialogue on the N900. No Wind yet here... I'll check at home...

Hi All,
I am in Edmonton and was wondering if N900 was available here. First I checked with Fido (have an existing connection) and they said that N900 is officially NOT YET HERE !! The people who have got it have the European version which is not supported by Fido. So I checked with Nokia Canada support via phone, and they confirmed that N900 is officially NOT there in Canada. If you go to Nokia.ca, you will find that N900 is NOT part of the latest models available here.

So how could you guys get a hold of it? Is it the European version or the north american one?

Thanks,
RRJ.

Originally Posted by rrj View Post
Hi All,
I am in Edmonton and was wondering if N900 was available here. First I checked with Fido (have an existing connection) and they said that N900 is officially NOT YET HERE !! The people who have got it have the European version which is not supported by Fido. So I checked with Nokia Canada support via phone, and they confirmed that N900 is officially NOT there in Canada. If you go to Nokia.ca, you will find that N900 is NOT part of the latest models available here.

So how could you guys get a hold of it? Is it the European version or the north american one?

Thanks,
RRJ.
There is only one version, which supports quadband gsm and hspa on 1700/2100. it will work on Fido, but will be on EDGE. Alternatively, you can use Windmobile, and be on 3G. For places to buy it from, google around, but I think newegg.ca and expansys.ca carry it.

Read this thread as well, its not long by Talk standards, and most of your questions will be answered.

The Following User Says Thank You to EIPI For This Useful Post:
Posts: 13 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Toronto, Canada
As someone who works for Rogers, and has an N900, i can pretty much back up the opinions expressed about it working on Rogers.

I seriously wish they would support more bands of 3G, and since each of the 3 new competitors (DAVE, Public Wireless and WIND) support it, I would hope it pushes Rogers. The data speed on EDGE is merely ok at best.

Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by PAFaieta View Post
As someone who works for Rogers, and has an N900, i can pretty much back up the opinions expressed about it working on Rogers.

I seriously wish they would support more bands of 3G, and since each of the 3 new competitors (DAVE, Public Wireless and WIND) support it, I would hope it pushes Rogers. The data speed on EDGE is merely ok at best.
Rogers is pure evil, I'm counting days when my contract expires

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

Originally Posted by PAFaieta View Post

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Public using CDMA?

Tags
buy, canada, canadian, cost, n900, provider, providers, retailers, rogers, wind