Active Topics

Great Forum, definately agree that this is better for customer service than Nokia.
Asked this question to Nokia and got a similar standard response.

Appologies if this is posted in wrong place, seems appropriate to me.

I'm a new n800 user and love it already. Using on home/work and WiFi hotspots but really looking to find phones/UKservice providers that I can
use. Not all bluetooth phones have modem capability and not many service
providers let you do it. So far all I have found is T-mobile
http://www.t-
mobile.co.uk/services/mobile-internet/on-your-phone-and-laptop/
with the only phone being the 'T-Mobile MDA Mail' being the only bluetooth phone that provides the service. None of the Nokia phones?Strange?
Anyone aware of or already using any other UK service providers, eg Three,02,Vodafone or Orange that has the phones(Pref Nokia but not nec) and the service/modem capability for bluetoothing my n800 to for full mobile internet?

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
The Nokia phones are all compatible, but what you are seeing is a limited selection of phones being offered by T-Mobile. I'm certain you can buy whatever phone you want to use with the T-Mobile Web'n'Walk Plus service, providing it supports Bluetooth (DUN or PAN, but currently only DUN is supported by N800s while PAN works fine with Windows/Mac laptops).

Three offer a £5/month data tariff but it's not (officially) permitted for use with "laptops" (aka tethering), however I've heard they turn a blind eye to this usage so you might be able to get away with it (the same could be said for the standard Web'n'Walk £7.50/month on T-Mobile).

Beyond the £5/month offer on Three, T-Mobile have the best data tariffs in the UK particularly if you want to abide by the Ts&Cs.

As for phones, buy a SIM free (most Nokia and Sony Ericssons, not sure about Samsungs but avoid Windows Mobile phones as they don't support BT DUN). Or negotiate a better phone from T-Mobile - the MDA Mail is not the only phone supporting their data plans, try a N80 or N95. Make sure you get a 3G/HSDPA phone though, you don't want to be stuck with GPRS!

Thanks, some useful bits there. Think T-Mobile and N95 maybe the way to go. May investigate '3' a bit first but had bad experience with their coverage (crap) in the past. May have improved of late though.
Anymore tips on tethering n800 to phones greatfully received.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
I've read a rumour that Three may be revamping their X-Series data plans, possibly introducing a £10/month 10GB cap data plan that allows laptop/modem usage. If true (big IF) then that would be by far the best data plan available in the UK.

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
All the more reason then for the n800 to have provision for a 3G SIM card slot a la Raon Everun

I would just like to chime in with my 2 cents.

Reguarding Nokia Customer service.

Reciently I called Nokia for assistance in pairing my Sony Ericsson W600i with the N800 after not being successfull on my own in doing so..

The wait to speak with a rep was only about 7min.. and the Rep in question was knowledgable, patient, and helpful in helping me understand.. this is Not a Nokia problem.. We configured and re-configured the N800 and the W600i a few times, and the rep was patient with me as I moved through the process.

See I also assumed that ANY cell with bluetooth would immediately pair and work as a DUN modem and wondered "Whats wrong with these products?" when it wouldnt work... That said, I called Rogers.. who were a little less helpfull, in that they did no configuration of the devices, but did provide via email the settings on the cell needed to "possibly" make it work.

In the end.. my assumption was put to understanding. That is, Nokia cannot support ALL cell hardware out there out of the box.. as it would be impossible to check all existing and forthcomming hardware for that compatability. Makes sense to me.

The Rep did provide helpfull information though.. "If you used a Nokia phone though.. we provide built in profiles in all our phones that will immediatly pair with your N800 without issues".

And that sold it for me... My next phone will be a Nokia.

Reguarding customer service.. and these assumptions we make as consumers.. dont.. do some research before we start "complaining" that things dont work the way.. er .. "we" want them to. And be patient with your frontline reps on the phones.. as they will do their best with the tools that company provides them.

Thats my 2 cents.

Cell phones, particularly those sold in the US where you have GSM as well as CDMA based providers, often come in many different "flavors" depending on carrier. The carrier often can lock down and disable Bluetooth profiles. For example, DUN is disabled on a lot of devices to make tethering difficult. OBEX is sometimes disabled so that the only way to offload pictures or download ringtones is through the network (so they can charge you for it). It would be next to impossible to support all the phones and carrier locked variants out there. The market is simply too broad and fractured. The nice thing about buying a Nokia phone directly from Nokia is that it is not going to come "nerfed" out of the box. I have stayed with GSM providers chiefly for this reason.

If you aren't sure what you need to do to tether your particular phone with your NIT, probably your best source of information is going to be Howard's Forums and here, in that order.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
It's correct that the location of log files is a secret?? Amazing. How does Nokia keep that secret?

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
It's correct that the location of log files is a secret?? Amazing. How does Nokia keep that secret?
Um... Extremely poorly?

Seriously, this is the first time I heard that one. Maybe they don't mention the location of the log files in the Quick Start Dumbo User Guide, but I don't see how they're going to keep it hidden from a good file manager. On the UIQ platform, e.g., there is sman, which most certainly will show you every last file on your phone.

That doesn't mean, of course, that fritzing around with those funnily-named files is necessarily the smartest thing to do. Unless you happen to like phone-shaped doorstoppers, that is...

Originally Posted by hybrid View Post
"Nokia does not text [sic] Nokia devices with third party products; therefore, we are unable to guaranty compatibility or full functionality when using your Treo 700wx with your Nokia N800 Internet Tablet..."
If you have not checked already, you may want to go to discussion.treocentral.com to search for an answer. I have not searched there for your problem, but TreoCentral has a very active community, and someone will usually give you an answer if one exists. Good luck.