Originally Posted by admiral0 View Post
Vala introduces yet another layer (valac) and needs bindings in a special format (vapi). Why should i shoot myself in the foot?
Let's see... and what does MOC & qmake do?

Last edited by viraptor; 2010-04-20 at 12:17. Reason: typo

Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by viraptor View Post
Let's see... and what does MUC & qmake do?
It's MOC, not MUC. And QMake is just a build system, you aren't forced to use it.

If you want to know what it does, I'd suggest looking at the documentation for it.

The Following User Says Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 279 | Thanked: 293 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Italy
Originally Posted by viraptor View Post
Let's see... and what does MUC & qmake do?
It's moc :P

anyway i was talking about C++. First time i saw moc i also went "wtf?" but it is useful to enforce signals in C++/Qt. The rest is real C++ flat code. you can #include whatever lib you want along QT.

Posts: 16 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Brno, Czech Republic
Say yes to Qt! ;-) Looks like Gtk stays as community supported so where's the problem? Yes, Qt somehow rapes clean C++ (but for example - Qt templates are better than STL), same as GLib rapes C...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jreznik For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
I don't dislike Qt itself nor the applications written utilizing it, but I fail to see how it's "easier" (except for, what I can tell from my limited knowledge, making custom GUIs).
Like everything else in the world, a degree of it is subjective. The things I most appreciate is that it requires less typing (and no use of things like class generators and other things) to do the same things using GObject/etc. I also appreciate the QPainter API, the fact that everything is wrappered in a nice, fairly consistent manner, and API which isn't cross-platform is clearly marked as such (e.g. QMaemo5 classes).

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Just write your code in a modular manner or use oop or whatever you young kids call it.

I usually write my software is in at least 2 seperate entites - backend for logic and functionality and then use GUI of choice for frontend. If you have to use a gui toolkit you just need to implement the "presentation" bit.

This idea of GTK=bad, QT = Good or QT=bad and GTK=good is a pointless argument.
Anyway GTK is still supported (as legacy) in maemo.

You have 2 options now and more rootfs bloat too.

Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
How well supported will it be, however? "[...]Included for application compatibility" doesn't really sound "supported".
Well, at least it'll be there out of the box (as opposed to "community-supported") and people will be able to file bugs against it etc. It's interesting to note that the open source part of Intel borged OpenedHand (the people who wrote Clutter, Matchbox and a whole bunch of other GTK+/GNOME-related stuff) a while ago so it seems that both the skills and will are there.

Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
As an Ubuntu user, I don't have a problem with Qt. It won't diminish what Gtk does but rather add to it. I run several Qt apps on my Linux desktop without any problem (Skype, VLC, VirtualBox, Google Earth). Besides, Qt is GPL. This story is FUD

Full disclosure: I'm a Qt developer both as a hobby, and for my work

FWIW, this thread did make me think a bit, apparant closed-mindedness of some of the participants aside, it's been a fairly interesting discussion, and some interesting points have been raised I think.

When considering the openness of Qt, it's worth keeping in mind the KDE community has influence there in that it's probably one of the largest group of Qt developers in existance, and Qt itself is LGPL'd.

(This is also entirely discounting the fledgling but undoubtedly soon-to-grow MeeGo/other mobile OS community around Qt)

That is, if there was some kind of a sinister plot to take Qt in directions that the community wasn't happy with, I think the community would soon take things their own direction again. Obviously, this isn't something that the controlling company would be looking to start, so I don't see this as too high a risk.

It's also worth reflecting on the decisions Nokia has been making on behalf of Qt (and other projects, such as MeeGo) so far. You're considering them a sinister overlord, but as far as I can tell, their actions have been benevolent at best, and a bit misguided at worst when they have made genuinely bad decisions (like the DUI/Orbit/Qt confusion).

There are other technical aspects of some of the posts here that I don't think are quite on for similar reasons, like "moc being a tie-in to Qt" which is just stupid - obviously, if you use a platform, you're tied to it - try using a Gtk+ app without using Gtk+.

I could go on, but I think I've written enough for now.

At the end of the day, if you're not happy with the situation as it is, get involved. Help develop Qt, help shape the tools, help make things happen - don't sit in an armchair and paint the bikeshed.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
It could be worse it could be "emacs vs vi"!
or "Linux vs Gnu/Linux"
or " \" vs "/"
or "Google vs Bing"
or "C# vs Java"
or "Muhammad Ali vs Bruce Lee"
or "Star Wars vs Star Trek"
ad nauseum

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:

Tags
flamewar ftw, gtk ftw, gtk is simpler, gtk+, ide religion, maemo5, misguided rant, n gtk support, no qt, pointless, qt ftw, qt is simple, qt=not cute, stupid fud, trollparty