Posts: 32 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Cumberland Center, Maine, USA
I'm trying to get Internet Call working for the first time on my Nokia 770. I have a Gmail account, and can send and receive calls between my device and 2 computers in my house OK; they connect fine. I use Google Talk (latest version) to handle the calls on the computers.

But, when I establish the call, the 770 seems to send out voice OK, but it receives nothing, or plays nothing on the speaker. Both sound volumes (the main volume and Internet Talk's volume) are up high. I even tried increasing the one in the audio player and the ring tone volume. I can hear system beeps on the 770 fine during the call.

I tried establishing a call between the 2 computers in my house, and that worked as a 2-way call without hitch.

I tried playing around with my Windows sound settings, and made sure Google Talk's little microphone icon was showing that it was getting something (it has bars for microphone reception). I even tried switching over to recording from WAV output and playing a sound file. The bars responded, but still no sound from my 770.

Plugging headphones into the 770 didn't help, either.

I've looked around, but haven't found anyone else with this problem.

Does anyone know what's going on? Or, does anyone know of another application other that Google Talk that I can try on my computer?

P.S. One more thing: I'm connecting my 770 to a home router I have, which is connected to the internet. One of my 2 computers connects the that same router wirelessly, the other is wired connection. I don't have any VoIP related port forwarding set up.

Last edited by pgn674; 2007-05-23 at 21:04.

I am having a similar problem with my n800 -- If I make an internet call using GTalk, the other party (all using PCs) can hear me, but I can't hear them. ONE TIME I was able to hear the other party, but that's it-- just once.

Has anyone heard of this issue before?

The N800 has its own internet call program which comes installed even thoughstill classified as beta, by which you can invite/give instructions to contacts to be able to voice chat with you using their PC internet connection. If this is not already on the N770, you'll have to check maemo.org or garage. maemo. org to see if it is available for you. Regarding the use of Google Talk, note that there are actually two Google talks; see the Google website explanation. One is only for instant messaging and uses the browser, therefore runs on any platform: Google refers to this as gadget, and this is presumably the one included on the N800 for IM'ing. The Google VOIP program, which they refer to as the Talk Flient is a free downloadable program for Windows only at this point, not yet available for Linux, i.e. the table OS.

Last edited by EllMay; 2007-06-04 at 13:05. Reason: new information

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Cumberland Center, Maine, USA
Originally Posted by EllMay View Post
The N800 has its own internet call program which comes installed even thoughstill classified as beta, by which you can invite/give instructions to contacts to be able to voice chat with you using their PC internet connection. If this is not already on the N770, you'll have to check maemo.org or garage. maemo. org to see if it is available for you. Regarding the use of Google Talk, note that there are actually two Google talks; see the Google website explanation. One is only for instant messaging and uses the browser, therefore runs on any platform: Google refers to this as gadget, and this is presumably the one included on the N800 for IM'ing. The Google VOIP program, which they refer to as the Talk Flient is a free downloadable program for Windows only at this point, not yet available for Linux, i.e. the table OS.
Actually, Internet Call came pre-installed with the latest OS for the 770 (3.2006.49-2). It's accessed through the Contact menu in the main menu. It can also be started from the Contacts application in that same menu.

I have the downloadable Windows installable Google Talk Client installed on my Windows boot, and that's what I was trying to use.

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Germany
Any news on that?

I've got the HackerOS2007 on my 770.
I'am able to call other accounts and hear what the say.
But they don't here me...

And Actually there is a way of using the Voice-Version of Gtalk with linux:
Tapioca

Which is also avalibal for the 770...

I had same connectivity problem with VOIP - port forwarding did the trick. I have since been using Gizmoproject, and the sound quality is superb.

Gtalk with my friend A was no problem (770 to 770),
friend A and friend B can use gtalk (770 to 770),
gtalk with friend B, never work out (770 to 770),
try with both my pc and laptop are work fine.
Really don't know what the problem is !