Active Topics

I recorded some videos with my n900 and now they wont play on the n900. I also downloaded some videos that played yesterday but do not play today. am i still waiting for some kinda media refresh or something? what gives?

Posts: 254 | Thanked: 95 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ New Delhi, India
i have faced this earlier.... try rebooting

Posts: 94 | Thanked: 209 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
I had this issue a couple of times too. For me it happens if i try to play a video with an unsupported codec. After that i cannot play any video. I think this happens because the dsp crashes and after that is in some unrecoverable state.

Fix: Restart the N900.

The Following User Says Thank You to Marshall Banana For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Marshall Banana View Post
I had this issue a couple of times too. For me it happens if i try to play a video with an unsupported codec. After that i cannot play any video. I think this happens because the dsp crashes and after that is in some unrecoverable state.

Fix: Restart the N900.
ok.. gonna reboot asap. thanks for the advise

totally worked gracias for the help. it still does this every now and again but its a realatively painless fix to simply reboot and delete files that i know the n900 cant play

pk, just updated to latest fw for n900 a few days agoa and this same prob is back. Only diff si now a simple reboot wont fix it. any more ideas?

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ the netherlands
I also had this problem, rebooting works fine, but is this bug already adressed?

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by andraeseus1 View Post
I recorded some videos with my n900 and now they wont play on the n900. I also downloaded some videos that played yesterday but do not play today. am i still waiting for some kinda media refresh or something? what gives?
It is a bug.

Go to X-Term and kill some big processes:

killall gst-video-thumbnailerd
kill `ps | grep mafw-gst-renderer | grep -v grep | cat -d ' ' -f2`

Install KMPlayer and use it instead of system media player.
System media player starts thumbnailerd and you have some video files which can't be played on N900. It stacks the whole process.

Last edited by egoshin; 2010-04-24 at 17:43.

do i need to be root to do this?