Active Topics

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 240 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Wiltshire, UK
Just realsied I never checked in here before - how rude; sorry.

I'm Steve from Wiltshire, Southern England. Came to N900 via brief Nokia X6 experience; found Symbian struggled with the otherwise excellent Cap. screen. Lots of Nokia's before that and work phones from other brands.

I have allways been impressed by Nokia's hardware (especially camera), consistently high content standard

I figured that as Symbian (iS60 5th Edition) was in its sunset years with no immediate replacement on the horizon. Decided that it'd be best to look to the future and Maemo 5 seemed the only way to go. I was prepared for missing features and waiting for developments - I did my research.

Very impressed with my N900. It's stable, fast, reliable and totally engaging. I have never owned a device that demands such a deep and involving relationship.

I mainly use it for taking photos, making calls and accessing calendar and email in my work. Now I've configured my device I find it easier to make calls and access data than on any previous device.

I'm not blind to the values of other brands and keep an eye on developments. I try out other OS's in store and on friend's phones and some features outside Nokia impress me greatly. I keep coming back to the importance of Nokia's hardware and general specifications.

Nokia has been good to me for years, so I figure a bit of patience and loyalty by me is warranted at this turning point in the company's history.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NokTokDaddy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 61 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Helsinki
hey peeps. just joined after using this site for a week or so.
I am an Englishman living in Helsinki. I enjoy technology and the comunities that grow up around it.
Owned my N900 for about a month and it is fabulous.
Er, that's it

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr_Ryde For This Useful Post:
Posts: 9 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Kuopio, Finland
Hi, I am Teemu, a first year physics student in the University of Eastern Finland in Kuopio. I've owned the n900 since february, which I was really not sure about what kind of device it would be when I ordered it. When I finally got the device I absolutely fell in love with it. I have tinkered with linux computers quite a while so it was a natural choise.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sentri For This Useful Post:
Hi..I'm Amit from India.. bought N900 a month ago..just fell in love with the phone..Fabulous...also Thanks for this amazing site.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ply123 For This Useful Post:
Hi.

Just joined this great community. I've been reading this forum for a little time, and now decided to register.

I've got some interest in developing in Qt/PyQt (read: C++/Python, not sure yet which to choose) for Maemo and MeeGo. I have little programming background which consists mostly of PHP. So there's still lot to learn.

Maybe some day I'll make (more or less) useless app.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Qhr For This Useful Post:
Hey there Newbie here great boards!!!

Have been thinking of getting a N900 for a while and I'm due for an upgrade next month, I'm based in the UK. I'm not a programmer but I am a bit of a technology geek and I think I know what I am getting myself into.

Currently I own a Samsung Omnia I900 and I have been happy with it for the 18months or so it does everything I wanted but the physical key pad/qwerty of the N900 really appeals.

The thing is on many top ten lists the HTC Desire, Iphone 3Gs seem to always be at the top with the N900 being lower down. However from my point of view as I have an Omnia, the Desire and Iphone seem like improvements on the same theme whereas the N900 seems like something else entirely

I like to do the normal things with my phone now email, browsing, text, listen to music, watch movies etc and the N900 has got good reviews where all those things are concerned. As far as apps go I'm not overly concerened with a crazy amount apps. I went through a phas with my omnia when I had loads of apps and then ended using about 6 regularly.

I've been scouring these boards for more info into whether I'm making the right decision for me. If possible I'd much appreciate it if anyone could point me in the direction of threads that will give me more info and insight on whether the N900 is the right way to go.

Thanks in advance.
LR

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Litherayne For This Useful Post:
joined in March, didn't say 'hello' though. so, Hi guys, how are you doing?)

I'm owner of n90 and n900 so just nines and zeros... but I would not wait until 9000 comes. will hope for n9-00

And yes, I enjoy my n900 very much)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sebastian_ua For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Irvine, CA
Hey,

Joined the community a few days ago (mostly to bypass that terrible "type [word] backwards" search restriction), but thought I might as well make this introductory post too. Just got an N900 a week ago, upgrading from an N80. I've been in love with the phone since it was announced, following the news since then too, and I'd been just waiting to get the cash. My older brother is on these forums already (he's a more avid poster than I) since he's had his N900 for a few months now.

A little bit about me: I'm from California, currently a fourth-year undergraduate in Information and Computer Science at UC Irvine. I'll be graduating in June and starting a job where it'll be easier for me to buy new phones (though 1. that's not the only purpose, and 2. I'm not sure I'll need a new one after this amazing piece of technology). In the meantime, I'm just kinda coasting through my last quarter, playing with fun toys like the N900.

Anyway, I absolutely adore the N900, and I fully appreciate what this community is all about. I look forward to the future of Maemo (MeeGo) and everything included, starting with PR1.2, once it arrives..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dekar27 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,169 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ sunderland
hi everyone, im lee, ex symbian master but now maemo/linux n00b!
love helping people out if i can (but im usually the one needing help lol!)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leetut For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Greetings from Finland!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada boom, bada rox, hotelcalifornia, new users, newbie, newmo!, w2tmo, welcome to maemo.org