Hi, new N770 owner here. Got my N770 a coupleof weeks ago.. I am booting OS2006 from my 2GB mmc card, and have successfully installed applications up to today. Now when I try to install I get a message that the install failed. I've tried a few apps with no luck. Same for uninstall. The log shows:

Installing claws-mail 2.10.0-1
/bin/sh: /usr/sbin/dpkg-preconfigure: not found
dpkg: parse error, in file `/var/lib/dpkg/status' near line 11378 package `osso-thumbnail0':
`Depends' field, reference to `libgconf2-6': version contains ` '
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)

BTW, installing to the internal flash still works fine.

I'm guessing a file has been corrupted on the mmc, but as a newbie I don't know how to fix it.
Can anyone give me instructions on what needs doing?
Thanks

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Chances are /var/lib/dpkg/status is corrupt. Open xterm and see if you have a file called /var/lib/dpkg/status-old and if so, execute the following commands as root:

Code:
cd /var/lib/dpkg
cp status status-bak
cp status-old status
Then in App Manager, update your application catalogue and hopefully the problem will be rectified. If not, my advice would be to reformat your MMC partition and clone your OS again.

Thanks Milhouse, that fixed the problem. I'm glad I didn't have to reformat the card!

Hi, I am having a similar problem as the original poster. I can no longer install/uninstall programs to my MMC. Also, all the Notepad documents are now "Read Only." I tried what was suggested by Milhouse, but it did not work.

Does anyone have any other suggestions before I reformat my MMC & clone the OS?

Thanks,

wilbr