a personal information management (PIM) suite of applications for the
Nokia 770, composed of Contacts, Calendar, Notes, and Tasks. DejaLink on
the other hand is probably the first commercial application for the Maemo
platform that provides two-way IP based synchronization between Microsoft
Outlook and DejaPIM. The service costs $9.95/month, with a 14-day free
trial.

Future modifications for DejaPIM include:

? Improve web connection states on both handheld and PC to quietly handle
disconnect and partially connected states.
? French, Spanish, G...
Read the full article.

... and your Microsoft Outlook data will begin transferring to the web. ...
Not what I would like to do with my data. Or do I misunderstand something?

Originally Posted by niko
Not what I would like to do with my data. Or do I misunderstand something?
No, I don't think you do.

There are a number of companies that offer this kind of service to the Pocket PC world where remote synching to an exchange server is one option for users. This just sounds like more of the same.

Having said that, I'm not convinced by this approach to be honest and I'd want to know more about their position re:
  • security/privacy/Encryption
  • disposal of my data if I cancel the service
  • how the UK Data protection act sees this. After all it's not my names and addresses that get stored on someone's server.

But, and it's a big but, this could be a pretty useful service I think for those that use Outlook on a regular basis. As an Apple user that's not really me but if they did the same with a iSync solution I might be tempted.

I'm not going to buy a PIM software that I have to pay monthly fees just to sync. That is ridiculous. Frankly I don't need all those stuff so I guess I don't see the need to pay for it.

If you go to the site, it says that there are two parts. The desktop (the part with the PIM software) part which is free. and the web part (the portion that syncs your outlook) that costs $9.95 a month a 14 day free trial. So, my assumption is you could download it, use the PIM and choose not to use the sync part thus having a PIM local to the 770? Here is an exact excerpt I copied from their web site.

Tony

"DejaDesktop provides Contact, Calendar, Tasks, and Notes applications that run on the Nokia 770, and also IP-based synchronization to Microsoft Outlook.

With DejaDesktop, your Outlook Contacts and Calendar synchronized to the 770, and any changes you make while on the device are synchronized to Outlook. DejaDesktop uses the built-in IP connection, so there is no need to connect the device to your computer. DejaDesktop is provided free of charge, and the hosted IP-based sync is only $9.95 per month! You can try our sync service FREE for 14 days. "

Originally Posted by NokNok770
I'm not going to buy a PIM software that I have to pay monthly fees just to sync. That is ridiculous. Frankly I don't need all those stuff so I guess I don't see the need to pay for it.
It is geared towards business people. It's not regular syncing. It's syncing when you are on the road or when when you are out of the state/country.

Some other companies who provide this service:
Good Technology
Intellisync

Just checked their website again and the point here is, "If you just want a PIM without sync capabilities" you can download it and have fun.

Tony

Currently, if you want good PIM apps (that doesn't sync), go with the GPE-suite from Kernel Concepts.

Anybody done a comparison between this one and the GPE-suite. Gonna install one of them soon, so would like an idea of which one is more slick/stable/useful. Thanks

Originally Posted by Reggie
Currently, if you want good PIM apps (that doesn't sync), go with the GPE-suite from Kernel Concepts.
Ha! That's a laugh! See my blog later today when I post from the 770 my, uh, adventures with GPE-Calendar from last night!