Active Topics

Poll: What is the leaked PR1.2 RC?
Poll Options
What is the leaked PR1.2 RC?

Closed Thread
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
It's not a secret. It's unfinished. That's the problem.

It was considered a leak because it's unfinished. If it were an OS or library update, apt-get update all day. Those still have to be committed before you can update.

This was a phone firmware revision that was unfinished. Nothing to do with opensource - there are updates for Maemo5 OS that once are finalized, they're committed and you can get them. But this is a firmware update for the phone... slight difference, especially when it's unfinished as it seems to be.
This is not some Android or Nokia Symbian crap to be such care full. This is a phone specialty made to let users enjoy hacking there phones so you options are good for those who just want to use phone,sms,browsing and email (Android) not for N900.

Posts: 385 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
I am saying that you are on your own to start with and then you could remove the stupid comparision to extras-devel from the first post...
I believe OP is talking about attitude here and I can understand his point of view, there is no need to bash the people who flashed their devices with the RC. Maybe even some of them had no idea about the dangers and problems that could arise. Maybe they thought it wasn't much of a big deal at all taking a firmware that has leaked prior to release.
So, even if you're not in to help out here, maybe you could just keep from gloating at someone else's misery. Because that's not the spirit that we should keep in this open community, is it?

It's up to each person what to do. Personally I even wait a little while to see what happens when authorized public updates arrive, how the reactions are so that I know what will happen when I update. But I wouldn't blame or jump on anyone that goes right ahead updating.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Larswad For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by crown77 View Post
And again i have to say that i thought that the Maemo Council is connected to the Nokia HQ and be able to give some Informations to there Community. And we all have to stop now to call each other fanboy, whiner, troll we are all N900 Users and not a least Buyers arent we?
What would you like the council to do exactly? We do have friends at Nokia HQ - but they're the people active in the community anyway. It was a weekend.

The Council fully supports Reggie and the other moderators in removing links to the dodgy firmware. Do you want more flashing lights of "don't install it!".

Of course, if we did that we'd be accused of being Nokia's mouthpiece.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
Well technically this is more Ajar Source; some parts are open and some parts are closed. Furthermore, just because something is open source, the authors shouldn't feel pressured to release it until they feel it's ready.

"Where's that code you said you were writing?
"Actually, I'm not done; there are so many bugs I'd be embarrassed to see it in the wild.
"You suck and don't understand what open source is!
"O Rly? In that case I won't bother finishing it, so it'll never be released.
That's where community come in TomJ to help developer finishing things.

Ya i know source code are not completely open but at least they can take time to let us know where they are, when they might finish, when they might release but they just maintain silence and let us fight over release date like apple and android.

Posts: 664 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Australia
Originally Posted by sygys View Post
Its sad that the n900 browser is still 16000 points behind. how the hell is this even possible?

I must also admit that the iphone menu's and scrolling is 100% more smooth then the n900 scrolling. never saw a iphone stutter while sliding pages and menu's you cant say that of the n900
I wont go by the numbers to be honest. What matters is that the browser now with this leaked firmware seems lot smoother and faster except for some lags while going back from dashboard after opening couple pages/apps which I believe is one of some other reasons why it isn't out yet..

Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
What would you like the council to do exactly? We do have friends at Nokia HQ - but they're the people active in the community anyway. It was a weekend.

The Council fully supports Reggie and the other moderators in removing links to the dodgy firmware. Do you want more flashing lights of "don't install it!".

Of course, if we did that we'd be accused of being Nokia's mouthpiece.
Answer me one question do you know the current status of PR 1.2 @ Nokia HQ.

When was the last time you came to know the status and what was the status of it.

Why it was not communicated to other members of community?

Posts: 1,169 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ sunderland
pr1.1.1 is stable for me, and im more than happy with it

the key to a happy life is to always give your self something to look forward to, a psychologist once told me that and its worked for me for years,
now all those who 'tested' pr1.2 dont have anything to look forward to!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leetut For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Leeds UK
i agree removing the firmware link was the right thing to do.
However people getting on their high horses about this shows a lack of maturity. Frankly its embarassing.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to deadmalc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
@vickyg:

The Council acts on community matters, and may or may not know details of OS updates. If they did know details, either a strict NDA is in place, or their personal reputation is at stake. In both cases, they have worked years to build personal trust with Nokia. Do the math.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to EIPI For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
If you eat an uncooked meal, you will most likely get stomachache.

However open the kitchen is, ask the cook.
LMAO "1.2RC gave my n900 the sh#ts" lol
And yes i know im childish

Personaly ill take my 1.2 like i have my steak, Well done

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to matts76 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
chineesequality, fremantle, leaked pr1.2, maemo, maemo 5, n900, ranting, surreality