Active Topics

If you had also done yor research prior to buying the device you would have realised it was an internet tablet like the N800 and N810 are therefore landscape would be the norm.

Posts: 57 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Melbourne, Australia
To all the people who want portrait mode, could you explain to me how it will work?

Honestly I dont know how people expect portrait mode to work... Any one notice how symbian^3 still has boxed in widgets... theres a reason for it, so they can easily move from landscape to portrait and keep the homescreen from becoming a jumbled mess..

With how Maemo5 homescreen works there will never be full portrait mode, nor would I want to sacrifice the awesome customisablity of widgets to get it...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lwa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lwa View Post
To all the people who want portrait mode, could you explain to me how it will work?

Honestly I dont know how people expect portrait mode to work... Any one notice how symbian^3 still has boxed in widgets... theres a reason for it, so they can easily move from landscape to portrait and keep the homescreen from becoming a jumbled mess..

With how Maemo5 homescreen works there will never be full portrait mode, nor would I want to sacrifice the awesome customisablity of widgets to get it...
Simple, landscape desktop (maybe menu too) and everything else can rotate freely.
Personally I couldn't care whether anything gets portrait or not.

The Following User Says Thank You to AndrewG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 31 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Finland / UK
Originally Posted by lwa View Post

I remember reading on an other thread here, someone suggesting that if you keep the 4 landscape homescreens the way they are and just add 4 new portrait homescreens you wouldn't have this problem with widgets and shortcuts.

So basically, when you rotate you are working with 4 new portrait homescreens which are empty the first time you rotate, and which can be filled with widgets, shortcuts, etc. just like now on a landscape homescreen. In total you would have 8 homescreens (4 landscape + 4 portrait).

I think this could be a working model, also for people who would like more homescreen space (and yes I know you can add up to 9 homescreens) this is ideal. And if you are really keen on having the same content in portrait and lanscape just add the same content to both modes, so simple.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to michou For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
ok guys, go ahead. list there what should be in portrait mode in your opinion

http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...portrait_mode/
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 279 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Holland
The N900 is the multitasking champ.

Therefore, buyers of the N900 often care a great deal about multitasking.

So.. the majority of it's users want to be able to multitask as well! Meaning, operating it in one hand. That makes sense to me.

The Following User Says Thank You to blipnl For This Useful Post:
What about two sectors on each desktop inside which the widgets, icons, shorcuts etc. would rotate around their center pivot point to match the new portrait mode? Wouldnt in be somehow easy to implement? I know it would limit the positioning of the widgets, icons etc. but hey, there is portrait mode

Another way could be rotating around the pivot point of a sector, probably even easier and 'safer'

Last edited by RafaLL92; 2010-05-04 at 10:31.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RafaLL92 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 97 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Planet Earth
Originally Posted by fuadalrubaie View Post
it will be a soultion for this problem ?
any one work on it or some thing?
Well, thats the point, you think that this is a problem, when there is not problem at all.
This is just a feature that Nokia never mentioned or promised.
Get an iphone if you want a portrait only device!

Originally Posted by MatMat View Post
Well, thats the point, you think that this is a problem, when there is not problem at all.
This is just a feature that Nokia never mentioned or promised.
Get an iphone if you want a portrait only device!
well,that very important feature ,cause it's annoy using two hands to use it , some must be support portrait mode like contacts ,
the n900 it's really powerfull device and some simple things make it i little dislikable

Last edited by fuadalrubaie; 2010-05-04 at 21:50.

The Following User Says Thank You to fuadalrubaie For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by RafaLL92 View Post
What about two sectors on each desktop inside which the widgets, icons, shorcuts etc. would rotate around their center pivot point to match the new portrait mode? Wouldnt in be somehow easy to implement? I know it would limit the positioning of the widgets, icons etc. but hey, there is portrait mode

Another way could be rotating around the pivot point of a sector, probably even easier and 'safer'
This is a really good idea. My initial concern would be over widgets and icons that overlap sectors, but that could be solved by better widget design and some better icon layout guides.

Seeing this in action would probably catch some eyes (bonus points for workspace transitions that could work when swiped up and down or left and right.)