Notices

Iplayer now works smoothly for me using the normal version and choosing the pop out player. The trick here, if you haven't done so already, is to disable power saving mode for your wifi connection.

Have the BBC changed it again? I don't see the pop-out button. I see play/pause and restart on the left, and subtitles, volume and full-screen on the right.

When I try to play an iplayer vid, I get sound but the picture is blank. There is a control at the top right that shrinks the player, but it does not help.

Last edited by vectorspace; 2010-05-02 at 05:36.

The Following User Says Thank You to vectorspace For This Useful Post:
Posts: 204 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Rochdale UK
how do you disable wifi power save?

Originally Posted by devildriven View Post
I am using the WII version page, in lowerbandwidth mode and not the full site.
How do you access the Wii version?

Same issue there - audio but no video.

Still works for me. Just go to the normal iPlayer site for TV - not Bigscreen or Wii. Click BBC1 and click a programme. At the bottom of the page select "Lower Bandwidth" (it seems to remember this choice). Then click the pop-out which is now a tiny button in the lower right of the picture (the middle of 3 buttons there - stylus can be useful to save having to zoom). When the new window opens go to bottom right again and click full screen. It then fills the screen very nicely and you can use the volume rocker. iPlayer runs smoothly for me on domestic wifi. I don't have to disable power save or anything.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gs1 For This Useful Post:
Working for me too, thanks! Both MicroB and Firefox, though MicroB is smoother and less flakey.

My problem was that the particular show I was trying to watch, did not have the pop-out button (??!?!?).

Tried a different show, and the pop-out button is playing nicely.

I have a sneaking suspicion that multiple Flash objects might be what is causing normal iPlayer pages to have blank video (there is 2 or 3 on iPlayer pages, including the video).

It's a shame Flashblock isn't available for Firefox for Mobile - if it was, the extra flash objects would not be rendered and so not interfere with he video. Maybe the next Flash plugin will improve on this.

P.S. a note about using Pop-out: It opens a new window/tab but leaves the original, which is sitting there hogging resources. You get better performance if you then close the original window/tab.

P.P.S. I get a big fat counter displayed over the video - anyone else get that, and how do I get rid of it?

#oes anyone know how to selevt lower bandwith in BBC iplayer beta? Help page says it should be at bottom of each programme page, i cant see the option anywhere.. all i get is live sound and hardly any picture when trying to stream.... hope someone can help...

Originally Posted by Luz View Post
#oes anyone know how to selevt lower bandwith in BBC iplayer beta? Help page says it should be at bottom of each programme page, i cant see the option anywhere.. all i get is live sound and hardly any picture when trying to stream.... hope someone can help...
At the bottom left-hand corner of the page you should see a BBC logo, copyright notice and disclaimer. Above this is a horizontal line. Above this is a link saying "Access the BBC iPlayer on your favorite device". Carry on to the right; the "Use lower bandwidth version" link is there.

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...