Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
@Patroclo: You're so full of it... Speak of your own children, please.

My children will learn that the best things in life are free, that money doesn't matter, and that giving and being a part of a community is more important than slaving away for some corporation.

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ USA
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Your crazy is showing. And this the -third- time you've made a post along these lines. It is at best offtopic, and at worst needlessly inflammatory.
well, the first one was intentional...not meant to be offensive...just truthfull, as i know many, many, many teachers.

dunno how the second copy of it was posted....if i did, then it must have been some glitch with my pc...but doubt it. either way, i didnt not intentionally repost the same post.

and i am not sure about this being the third.

but if that is what you mean by third time. so be it.

now...."crazy" is exactly what that teacher was doing. responding as an athoritative figure with no backing in what was being said.

i dont think that i have met one linux developer, ever, that was not cool about sharing the software like that. this includes the ones i am related to.

whatever, i hope that gets you back to topic.

Originally Posted by Sopwith View Post
@Patroclo: You're so full of it... Speak of your own children, please.

My children will learn that the best things in life are free, that money doesn't matter, and that giving and being a part of a community is more important than slaving away for some corporation.
2 things:
1) please don't offend me. I offended no one! Let me express my ideas: I am a supporter of democracy.
2) sorry I don't agree with what you said.

Last edited by Patroclo; 2010-05-06 at 21:53.

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ England
rabble rabble!!

i am now running Ubuntu updating system as we speak... then im off to explore!

anyone know how to stop it asking me for a password all the time?

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ USA
Originally Posted by Patroclo View Post
2 things:
1) please don't offend me. I offended no one! Let me express my ideas: I am a supporter of democracy.
2) sorry I don't agree with what you said because I am not comunist.

uh ohhh. my fortuneteller says that moderation is in the works for political viewpoints....and to keep it on track.

bad thrwead. bad thread. should close it down.

Originally Posted by sajman View Post
anyone know how to stop it asking me for a password all the time?
You mean when installing software?

It keeps your authentication cached (I think the default is 15 minutes) - if you continuously do administrative tasks in that 15 minutes it won't ask anymore.

If, however, your installing something and it takes more than 15 minutes it'll ask again. That's a security feature.

There is a way to stop it altogether... but I strongly suggest against it.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

yea was installing nvida drivers. and it asked me a couple of times when i was digging around. ive left it now to watch a bit of tv.... so ill probably play around a bit more 2mra! cheers boss!!

i suppose i can use the ubuntu documentation for all my future queries! thanks

Last edited by sajman; 2010-05-06 at 20:15.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by sajman View Post
is there a way to check if my hardware is compatible with Linux, almost like a list i can pick and choose from?
Well, you could check the Ubuntu hardware compatibility list... but better still, you could just download and burn a CD image of Ubuntu and just boot it straight off the CD without installing it, just to see if it'll work fine with your devices.

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Well, you could check the Ubuntu hardware compatibility list... but better still, you could just download and burn a CD image of Ubuntu and just boot it straight off the CD without installing it, just to see if it'll work fine with your devices.
its all done and dusted!! thankyou though!!

everything went ok

Posts: 290 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ New York City
Originally Posted by bandora View Post
I don't understand all the hate on Microsoft.. I like linux and all, and I definately love my N900, but I also love Windows, Especially Windows 7, it's fast! Also the people who gets viruses on their computers are just a bunch of people that don't have common sense imo, if someone pays a little bit of attention + have a great Internet Security software (like Kaspersky) then they won't have any problems, last time I had a virus/spyware.. etc. well, Ijust can't remember when was that!

Crazy stories btw.. O.o
IMO . . . people who get virus's on windows computers are simply not computer literate . . . . who can't tell the difference between a malware site and windows it self . . . . who dont understand that a .EXE is a program file (that could potentially contain a virus) and not a myspace layout or a music file . . . .

I have never used an anti virus with windows in my life and I can never had a virus . . . The first thing I used to do on a new WinPC was uninstall the free trail virus protection BS (they really slow down the sh*t out of an already bloated WinPC) . . . honestly they dont protect you against sh*t . . . they simply protect you from the malware that they know about . . . . but scumbags write new viruses for Windows Everyday . . . their is a reason that windows vista and up "DIM THE LIGHTS" to ask you if you REALLY want to run every new program that you open from unknown sources . . . it is because programs can hurt your PC . . . they can spy on you . . . . they can delete and edit system files . . . they can do what ever the program coded them to do . . . .

They same is true in Linux and Mac but their are to big differences . . . . first is market share . . . . most people use Windows so most viruses are written for Windows . . . Second is password protection . . . If the person using your Linux / Mac Box doesn't know the password it is pretty damn hard to do any real damage . . . you can install or run new programs with out the password not can you change system settings. . .. . on a Mac you can't even install iTunes without the password . . . makes sense . . . so you can freely allow, with a clear mind, your friends, co-workers, students and family to use your computer without the worry that they are going to accidental screw something up !

But that is they thing the though . . . since windows is a different language than Mac/Linux so they virus's simply wont work on these operating systems . . . feel free to download and open up all the viral infected EXE's that you want on Linux . . . the wont do anything!

Windows 7 is "fast" I guess as compared to Win Vista but as compared to Ubuntu or linux in general it simply doesn't compare . . . you have to understand that nearly the entire internet is running linux . . . from facebook to twitter - Google and even this forum . . . all their severs are running linux and it is for a good reason . . . Linux is built for efficiency, flexibility, stability and compatibility . . . .
I would hate to image Google having to run on a Windows Sever . . . It would be extremely slow and most likely take an extremely long time to return a search query to the end user . . . .