Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
[QUOTE=etuoyo;645380]
Originally Posted by conny View Post
@etuoyo: You can look inside the folder /home/user/.conboy and see if you can find your note there. However, if Conboy does not pick it up, itīs very unlikely that you find something there.

Hi I have looked in the Conboy folder and found my note that disappeared when I had a random restart. However, I don't know how to get it back into Conboy. Any ideas? I have copied it to My Docs and tried opening with Conboy but that doesn't work. When I tap the file and select open with Conboy it just opens the most recent file. I have opened with Notes and that works so I guess I can get rid of all the coding, etc and do copy and paste into a new Conboy note but that is a rather long solution.
There's probably something wrong with the markup causing Conboy to not recognise it properly.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 664 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Germany
[QUOTE=etuoyo;645380]
Originally Posted by conny View Post
@etuoyo: You can look inside the folder /home/user/.conboy and see if you can find your note there. However, if Conboy does not pick it up, itīs very unlikely that you find something there.

Hi I have looked in the Conboy folder and found my note that disappeared when I had a random restart. However, I don't know how to get it back into Conboy. Any ideas? I have copied it to My Docs and tried opening with Conboy but that doesn't work. When I tap the file and select open with Conboy it just opens the most recent file. I have opened with Notes and that works so I guess I can get rid of all the coding, etc and do copy and paste into a new Conboy note but that is a rather long solution.
Like Pelago wrote, probably structure of the note is corrupted. You could try to fix it using a text editor, then copy it back to /home/user/.conboy and it should be recognized. Look a the structure of a working note to see how it should look like. Or, if you don't have very personal stuff in that note, send it to me via PM and I see what I can do. Of course, copy and paste would work as well

The Following User Says Thank You to conny For This Useful Post:
[QUOTE=conny;646531]
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post

Like Pelago wrote, probably structure of the note is corrupted. You could try to fix it using a text editor, then copy it back to /home/user/.conboy and it should be recognized. Look a the structure of a working note to see how it should look like. Or, if you don't have very personal stuff in that note, send it to me via PM and I see what I can do. Of course, copy and paste would work as well
Thanks. I just edited it with the note app and then pasted it back into Conboy as a new note. At least now I know all is not lost when I have a random shut down whilst using Conboy

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ On the wasatch front, UT USA
It is probably around here somewhere in this thread, but I am on a slow connection so I'll just put a howto on what I did.

You need:

PC:
Ubuntu 9.04 or higher
Tomboy

Tablet:
Maemo 4 OS 2008 or Maemo 5
Conboy

Cloud:
Ubuntu one Account

1) Subscribe to Ubuntu one. Briefly, ubuntu one is a cloud based file storage like dropbox and others. It has the added benefit of being syncing tomboy notes and making them available on the ubuntu one site.

Follow the instructions here that are appropriate for your system. On 9.10 and up the ubutnu one application part is preinstalled. If on 9.04 you can install per the instructions above.

2) Grab Tomboy:
Code:
sudo apt-get install tomboy
3) Grab conboy from the repositories if you do not have it installed.

4) Backup your notes directory! If you are starting fresh no worries but every once I've seen reports of people loosing notes here and there. If you have a bunch of notes directory on your tablet or on our pc back those up. The notes are in:

/home/user/.conboy/ on the tablet
and
~/.local/share/tomboy/ for the latest tomboy on the ubuntu box

just do a
Code:
cp ~/.local/share/tomboy ~/.local/share/tomboy.bak
and a
Code:
cp /home/user/.conboy /home/user/.conboy.bak
5) Sync tomboy:
There are instructions for this in the help section under syncing. Essentially go to preferences and use 'tomboy web' as the service provider put in:
https://one.ubuntu.com/notes/ for the server and connect. You will get an authorization screen from ubuntu one. Once you enter your user name and password you are good to go with tomboy.

6) Sync conboy:
goto to the settings and enter
Enter in http://one.ubuntu.com/notes/ in the address bar (on the n800 version its the text field to the left of the authenticate button).
Hit the authenticate and a browser will open and allow you to enter your username and password for ubuntu one.

Now your notes should be synced! Its helpful to note that your notes are also kept at https://one.ubuntu.com/notes/ . You can review or add notes by dropping that into a browser and logging in. Then those notes will appear on your pc and tabler when you sync them. Hope this helps!

Originally Posted by dvergin View Post
I would like help with this. If the details are already in this or the other thread, I've missed thim.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to salinmooch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 156 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Scotland
delighted to have notes syncing with conboy/tomboy.

Only issue i have (and i realise it early days) is that notebooks sync as 'blah blah Template'.

Other than that i'm delighted.

Thanks Conny

The Following User Says Thank You to ZootHornRollo For This Useful Post:
Okay I think I am coming towards the end of my interest in the N900. Too much of a frusrating experience so far and now my device is only charging from PC. Considering if I put on any IM accounts I have to charge 3 times a day this is far from ideal.

The only thing causing me to continue to hold on to my N900 is Conboy as I really cannot manage without its usefulness an awesomeness. However, no point keeping a brick which is only useful as a note taking device.

So does anyone know if there is any app on android that comes even remotely close to the awesomeness of Conboy?

The Following User Says Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
delighted to have notes syncing with conboy/tomboy.

Only issue i have (and i realise it early days) is that notebooks sync as 'blah blah Template'.

Other than that i'm delighted.

Thanks Conny
Glad you like it Just a warning: There are also issues, if you delete notes.

I hope to find some time for coding soon again. At the moment it's a bit of a mess. New job, new flat, no proper internet connection, problems with the SDK, etc.... But there is hope (hopefully)

Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
Okay I think I am coming towards the end of my interest in the N900. Too much of a frusrating experience so far and now my device is only charging from PC. Considering if I put on any IM accounts I have to charge 3 times a day this is far from ideal.

The only thing causing me to continue to hold on to my N900 is Conboy as I really cannot manage without its usefulness an awesomeness. However, no point keeping a brick which is only useful as a note taking device.

So does anyone know if there is any app on android that comes even remotely close to the awesomeness of Conboy?
I only have to charge every 2nd day, but yea, the N900 isn't perfect. Anyways, I'm really happy about your high opinion on Conboy - always nice to read it Did you look into Tomdroid? It's Tomboy for Android. Not sure how far they are, but the last time I checked they were talking about synchronization as well. I hope you'll find something that suits your needs!

Posts: 344 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Los Angeles
speaking of sync... something happened to the one.ubuntu server this morning (broken), and when I sync'd with Conboy it crashed repeatedly. Now that one.ubuntu is back up I cannot sync at all: I get this error:
"json_get_note_list() returned NULL"

Is there some XTerm code I can run to reset the Conboy cache, or some other fix?

Originally Posted by sorodoros View Post
speaking of sync... something happened to the one.ubuntu server this morning (broken), and when I sync'd with Conboy it crashed repeatedly. Now that one.ubuntu is back up I cannot sync at all: I get this error:
"json_get_note_list() returned NULL"

Is there some XTerm code I can run to reset the Conboy cache, or some other fix?
Try to redo the authentication process from Conboy. Delete the URL, enter it again, click "Authenticate" and follow the usual steps. That should reset all local sync information.

Tags
conboy, grauphel