Active Topics

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by andraeseus1 View Post
wow' i wonder.. wouldn't it be easier and probably better to release a device that "makes people happy in terms of mass-market-functionality" that is also super open and developer friendly? that way every one would be happy right?
yes and give it also free to everyone. if someone doesn't want it, he/she should be given $500 cash instead...
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

i am totally lost. maybe because its after 3 am here. was that sarcasm? i missed it. dang. so am i to assume that you agree? that perhaps nokia should have made a developer device that had all the bells and whistles and easy use of a mass market functional device?

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Germany
Now even the evil_m0nkey goes, that makes me sad :/

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
i am totally lost. maybe because its after 3 am here. was that sarcasm? i missed it. dang. so am i to assume that you agree? that perhaps nokia should have made a developer device that had all the bells and whistles and easy use of a mass market functional device?
that is as impossible as nokia giving those things you described free to every single person in the planet.

only because there is no such device yet. n900 is a great compromise and huge step from n810. you can't have it all (for example iPhone and strict restrictions)
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Campinas, SP, Brazil
Originally Posted by schettj View Post
So, you would rather they shipped 1.2 with whatever problem(s) there were with it, then retracted it, then reissued it even later then it will release?
*Sigh* Didn't I make it clear that that was the first thing I considered before complaining? The problem is, you can't extend this rationale to its extremes - you can't have infinite time to do what you want, and you HAVE to consider things like market momentum and customer satisfaction.

Dang, there are many things you can do to speed it up - get the most serious bugfixes and make sure they're installable OTA, then release it as PR1.1.2, or make it PR1.2 but save the other bugfixes for PR1.3, whatever.

Every software vendor knows that. Mindshare is your most precious asset and you can't risk it by nitpicking and delaying on unimportant details. Make your product look alive, by always updating.

There are many cascades of consequences of delaying a patch for so long. People stop doing bugreports, because they don't feel supported. The damage track of FIXED bugs keeps growing, e.g. more laypeople buy the N900 and are puzzled because USSD codes don't work, and this builds up the reputation of N900 as a failed device. More application vendors finish their experimentation time with the N900 and give up publishing their app for the platform. More people silently exit forums like this, because they just don't feel the excitement of the N900 anymore.

How can you be so insensitve to ignore all this and other consequences and give such a candid default response, like it really responded anything? It doesn't.

The N900 is a fantastic device. That's what hurts the most: imagine a wonder child, a very smart child, that instead of being well-fed and sent to the best schools to develop her abilities, is forced to grow up and stay barely fed in a room with no books.

Nokia IS supporting you. They're working on 1.2 until it actually is an improvement over 1.1, NOT a step backwards from 1.1

Seriously. It will get here eventually. When it does, hopefully, it will be all goodness.
You can live in that dream world all you want, but the reality is another altogether. There are other options in the market and people are leaving the N900 for them.

People like me which stay moaning and b-i-t-c-h-i-n-g might be seen as an annoyance, but we do that because we still love the N900 and want it to succeed. The other people - who probably outnumber all of us here at the time - just silently quit. I find this a hundred times more annoying.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Patola For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
People like me which stay moaning and b-i-t-c-h-i-n-g might be seen as an annoyance, but we do that because we still love the N900 and want it to succeed. The other people - who probably outnumber all of us here at the time - just silently quit. I find this a hundred times more annoying.
They probably never really needed what the n900 offered or promised anyway.

But they probably would have stayed with basic functionality compared with their freinds phones. I am not sure their freinds would have understood "I am waiting for PR 1.2"...

Last edited by imperiallight; 2010-05-12 at 17:49.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
wow' i wonder.. wouldn't it be easier and probably better to release a device that "makes people happy in terms of mass-market-functionality" that is also super open and developer friendly? that way every one would be happy right?
I think the next device will try to be exactly that. They will have a "DRM Mode" that will make the carriers happy, with no root access and lots of security features like signed applications, and they'll also have a "hacker mode" for people like me, which will allow root access ... but no DRM. But we hackers aren't supposed to care about DRM anyway, right?

I guess you could say that the next device will be very iPhone-like out of the box, with lots of lock-down, easy-to-use services and shiny apps, but it will ship with a vendor-approved way to "jailbreak" the device.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 108 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Chicago
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I think the next device will try to be exactly that. They will have a "DRM Mode" that will make the carriers happy, with no root access and lots of security features like signed applications, and they'll also have a "hacker mode" for people like me, which will allow root access ... but no DRM. But we hackers aren't supposed to care about DRM anyway, right?

I guess you could say that the next device will be very iPhone-like out of the box, with lots of lock-down, easy-to-use services and shiny apps, but it will ship with a vendor-approved way to "jailbreak" the device.
My issue is that we have to wait for the next device. Why couldn't nokia make it clear that it was it was a developer phone so that i didn't have to waste my money on the N900. If that isn't the best way to alienate a consumer I don't know
what is. And this is a N Series phone. That is horrible to think we would spend $1200 in one year. They need to update their website to say it is a developer phone. But they won't.

Last edited by gom4381; 2010-05-12 at 18:09.

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by Patola View Post
You can live in that dream world all you want, but the reality is another altogether. There are other options in the market and people are leaving the N900 for them.
And in 5 more months when the next Shiny thing comes out, they'll drop that for that next new thing. That's just how some people operate, with devices, with people, and with life in general. No matter how many new features you put out or how shiny your product is, people will leave it to try the new thing eventually.

Look at the latest figures on sales in the US (where this behavior is prevalent) and you'll see Android is now outselling iPhone. Why? Because it's new and shiny, and Apple hasn't done anything for them lately. Sure, they're going to have 4.0 some time, maybe, and they even leaked info about the iPhone4, but the Incredible is on the shelf in the here and now, and lots of ex-iPeople are going to the stores in droves to get the new shiny whiz-bang.

Originally Posted by Patola View Post
How many more would quit if they did an update and things broke? You'd start losing core audience at that point. Yes, I agree whole heartedly that they should be putting the update out in extras-testing or extras-devel for early adopters. (It's a package set after all, you have the mechanism... why not do it?)

I still don't get this "feeling of lack of support" though that people are whining about. Nokia has released 2 major firmware updates in the past 6 months for this device. That beats any device I've ever had, from any manufacturer as far as updates to a working system to add features and stability. Can you name one other phone where you got software updates within 6 months of buying it? One phone? Anyone? Anyone at all?

We've seen a version of 1.2 on some devices being marketed now for areas that need alternate input methods. Clearly there's still support, and those updates are being integrated. It may not be in the form or at the speed we want it to be at, but it's still there. And in a week or a month or later when the next release comes out, it will be here.

Just as a frame of reference, the iPhone (which everyone seems to want to compare this against) didn't get a single update for 13 months after it's initial launch. It didn't have MMS either, and didn't get it until that update. But I didn't see people abandoning it because it "lacked support" or a new update wasn't out every 3 months. Why is the expectation on this device so different while at the same time being held to that "standard"?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by gom4381 View Post
My issue is that we have to wait for the next device. Why couldn't nokia make it clear that it was it was a developer phone so that i didn't have to waste my money on the N900.
I personally think they made it pretty clear that this wasn't a mass-market phone. I was totally puzzled by the low-key launch and half-hearted endorsements by Jaaksi and others, but after enduring seven months of complaining by people who really shouldn't have bought the phone, I understand why Nokia was so reluctant to make a big deal about the N900.

EDIT: You can't expect them to stick big red warning stickers on the box, either. The N900 actually is a cool device (the coolest mobile device I've ever seen)...

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post: