Active Topics

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
Just as a frame of reference, the iPhone (which everyone seems to want to compare this against) didn't get a single update for 13 months after it's initial launch. It didn't have MMS either, and didn't get it until that update. But I didn't see people abandoning it because it "lacked support" or a new update wasn't out every 3 months. Why is the expectation on this device so different while at the same time being held to that "standard"?
1. People are dropping the n900 like hotcakes within a few months despite being locked into 18-24 month contracts.

2. The iphone excels in being polished and hand crafted by apple. Most things for the iphone could be done by hook or by crook well before they were officially supported.

I personally think they made it pretty clear that this wasn't a mass-market phone. I
Not here in London. The flagship Nokia store in Regent Street had a seperate dedicated N900 room, advertising instore up to 3 months before its release and employing scouts (who didn't know anything) to walk up and down central London to talk about and sell the device.

They even had a massive countdown timer before its release.They sold it as some kind of luxury package.

Last edited by imperiallight; 2010-05-12 at 18:35.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Think of it this way.

The iPhone is like Disneyland.

It has a very controlled entry point and they've designed and polished everything you can do within their system to be top notch (UI, ergonomics, performance, etc), as long as you stick within their 'rails'. But you can't get out of the allowed play zones. Everything beyond that is 'cast members only'.

Like any theme parks, they always try to make new zones for the visitors to enjoy; you can see how different the initial iPhone release with what it can do today and it will continue to grow to cater to more users' needs. That is one way for them to continue to gain their marketshare and maintain their competitive edge against Android and Maemo.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Last edited by ysss; 2010-05-12 at 18:24.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 108 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Chicago
I still disagree they did not make it clear. It was the first phone that was sold unlocked with T-Mobile 3g bands. And I saw just as much hype and signage for the N97. They did a horrible job communicating that. It doesn't say that on the maemo website they made. It seemed as if this was a phone to follow up on the N97. Won't say anything else about it.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I noticed that Nokia really pushed the N900 in England, selling it through carriers and doing several ad campaigns... I'm starting to think that someone high up in Nokia England independently decided to push the N900 in that country.

Meanwhile over here in North America, most people haven't even heard of the device.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by imperiallight View Post
1. People are dropping the n900 like hotcakes within a few months despite being locked into 18-24 month contracts.

2. The iphone excels in being polished and hand crafted by apple. Most things for the iphone could be done by hook or by crook well before they were officially supported.
1: There was no carrier subsidy here in the US, so no, nobody that's dropping it here is doing so while "being locked into a contract". From what I've seen the subsidized market for this phone is really small, nearly non-existent, even in Europe. And really, it's a GSM phone. You can get a basic GSM phone for $20 and swap the sim out, so is it any surprise people aren't stuck to it? Lots of people dropped the iPhone, or upgraded to the new one when it came out while still under contract for the old one. No difference. People do dumb things like that.

2: Simply a lie. Show me anyone who sent an MMS message on an iPhone in the first 6 months it was out. You can't, because it didn't happen. And don't say "you could jail break it", the first jailbreak program didn't come out until 8 months after the iPhone launched. So no, by "hook or by crook" didn't work back then.

I noticed you avoided my other points though... like the "lack of support" issue everyone is whining about. Good to be able to pick and choose what you reply to isn't it?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
1: There was no carrier subsidy here in the US, so no, nobody that's dropping it here is doing so while "being locked into a contract". From what I've seen the subsidized market for this phone is really small, nearly non-existent, even in Europe. And really, it's a GSM phone. You can get a basic GSM phone for $20 and swap the sim out, so is it any surprise people aren't stuck to it? Lots of people dropped the iPhone, or upgraded to the new one when it came out while still under contract for the old one. No difference. People do dumb things like that.

2: Simply a lie. Show me anyone who sent an MMS message on an iPhone in the first 6 months it was out. You can't, because it didn't happen. And don't say "you could jail break it", the first jailbreak program didn't come out until 8 months after the iPhone launched. So no, by "hook or by crook" didn't work back then.

I noticed you avoided my other points though... like the "lack of support" issue everyone is whining about. Good to be able to pick and choose what you reply to isn't it?
Ok, so dropping it with a few months for a $1000 upwards purchase. Your arguments still suck.

Ok, are you talking about 2007 and the iphone, Jeez desperate or what, I only ever got the 3G and later the 3GS so I can't comment on that. But as a capable smartphone the iphone with its revolutionary attributes could be forgiven for a few overlooked aspects.

Mate, your points of view make me laugh half the time as did your pathetic attempt to get me banned. The iphone OS read before and from other members is polished from the outset thus PR 1.2 or whatever doesn't need to happen as much.

Last edited by imperiallight; 2010-05-12 at 18:54.

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Ok, so dropping it with a few months for a $1000 upwards purchase. Your arguments still suck.
What planet are you on? At most the device cost $700, and many people didn't pay nearly that. Most people paid about $500 for it, and didn't drop it "in a few months", especially if they were on a subsidized plan like you state, in which case they paid even less up front for the device. (And don't say "they're paying $1000 long term". Anyone that purchases a phone via subsidy doesn't think in those terms, because if they did they wouldn't be buying it that way.)

Ok, are you talking about 2007 and the iphone, Jeez desperate or what, I only ever got the 3G and later the 3GS so I can't comment on that. But as a capable smartphone the iphone with its revolutionary attributes could be forgiven for a few overlooked aspects.
Really? And a revolutionary phone, the first one running an open source version of linux, with user-accessible root shell, like the N900 doesn't deserve to have a few aspects overlooked? Hypocrite!

Mate, your points of view make me laugh half the time as did your pathetic attempt to get me banned.
You lie so much.... why? I've never tried to get anyone banned here, ever. Point to one post where I tried to get you banned? Yet you lie...

I find all this funny though, all this negativity, coming from someone that doesn't even own the phone. Are you another hanger-on from the N700 days? Have you ever owned an NX00 series device? If not, why are you here?

woody14619 is online now woody14619

Yesterday , 10:12 PM

Report This | #52
Originally Posted by Patola View Post

I hate Nokia with passion. I'd like to do really bad things to their management staff.

Followed by:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patola For This Useful Post:
HellFlyer, imperiallight

Really? You hate Nokia with a passion, and make threats to do harm to their staff? And the two biggest haters here of course thank you for it. Where are the moderators? I understand being upset with Nokia, but threatening their staff is a bit much, don't you think?

@Patola

You seemed like a real up-and-comer, but I think you drank too much of the doom-and-gloom PR 1.2 whining b*tch Kool-Aid. That's too bad, 'cause Nokia is as good as it gets for system-wide mobile open source. There's no where else to go and no else is even trying to foster FOSS relationships [i.e. see "Google Linux kernel"].

I don't know if there are any in Brazil, but you need to walk into the desert, but instead of the Kool-Aid, drop some mushrooms, and have a reaffirmation. Or something.

Let's forget about Nokia for a second. Are you into graphics or OpenGL? As I'm sure you know, OpenGL ES 2.0 is the standard across latest Android, iPhone OS, Symbian, Maemo 5 and MeeGo 1.0 (?). If you're worried about painting yourself into a corner, why not go here and play around while you patiently wait for Nokia.

Come back into the fold, there's plenty of solid open source middleware to play with inside Maemo 5. It's truly a candy store. Also, GTK isn't going anywhere soon, so if you need UI stability there's nothing wrong with it. We all will make the switch to Qt when the time is right.