Closed Thread
http://blog.adl.pl/saving-n900-batte...ell-script/495

Saving N900 battery power with simple shell script

It’s not a secret that Nokia N900 is a real power sucker and needs quite frequent contact with battery charger, especially when all those fancy always-online features are enabled and in constant use. I keep my N900 in such mode nearly all the time myself, yet there are times (overnight, while at work, hospital etc.) where I’d like to sacrifice being online 24/7 in order to spare battery an extra breath. Offline mode is not an option, as I’d like to preserve ability to actually make voice calls and send text messages. You know, old-school.

So, thanks to great input which I’ve received on maemo-users mailing list and few additional sources, I’ve crafted a simple shell script called power-saver.sh that does few things in a single go:

1. Sets internet connection mode to “Always ask” (available under Settings -> Internet connections -> Connect automatically).
2. Disconnects current internet connection.
3. Switches cellular radio into 2G-only mode.
4. Disables automatic email send&receive in Modest email client.

While same script is used with “off” parameter, it re-enables automatic internet connection mode, dual (2G/3G) cellular radio mode and automatic email checking in Modest.

Simply speaking, basic usage is as follows:

root@n900:~# power-saver.sh
Going into power saving mode...

root@n900:~# power-saver.sh off
Restoring power suckers...

From my experience, actions taken by this script should make quite significant difference in battery life, yet YMMV of course. It also does nicely play with Alarmed application, so you can conveniently schedule power saving script to execute overnight and restore in the morning automagically.

Script is available for free download, use and any sorts of modification you’d like to make yourself. It’s simplistic shell script, no GUI whatsoever, so use it via X-Terminal. It could be wrapped up with some nice status-area button or something, yet my Maemo development skills (and time) are very limited.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
This is twilight zone
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 96 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ India
dhq...right post in a wrong thread....but u may get good mileage in this infamous thread

Posts: 41 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ ireland
Originally Posted by ivnvir View Post
Just talked to Ijish Kurreknein from Nokia, he told me that it'll be by the end of this week, 5 bug fixes to go, then the final tests (to see if the 5 bug fixes hasn't created new ones) and there we go!
why do you guys keep believing these indian customer service representatives? don't you realize they are mocking you???

Just talked to Ijish Kurreknein from Nokia, he told me that it'll be by the end of this week, 5 bug fixes to go, then the final tests (to see if the 5 bug fixes hasn't created new ones) and there we go!
Kurreknein told me now that's 2 bug fixes to go only...

Kurreknein told me now that's 2 bug fixes to go only...
Are you Serious or your just bullshitting

Originally Posted by Dhq View Post
Are you Serious or your just bullshitting
Rule number one of Off Topic is "Don't step in the bullsh*t"

Rule number two of Off Topic is "DON'T STEP IN THE BULLSH*T!"

lol i am bored waiting for PR1.2
think i will install android 2.1

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@dhq:
NEVER question what you read in this thread. Only 2 options:
1. Support what you read with further proof from your own research
2. Dispute it with utter ridicule

As for Mr. Kurreknein's statement, I will ask him for the list when I meet him this Sunday.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
@dhq:
NEVER question what you read in this thread. Only 2 options:
1. Support what you read with further proof from your own research
2. Dispute it with utter ridicule

As for Mr. Kurreknein's statement, I will ask him for the list when I meet him this Sunday.
ok
what can i say
will have to agree with you

Closed Thread

Tags
avoid thread, fictional update, firmware, fremantle, future, goodwin's law, it will be on 12.21.2012, maemo, maemo 5, may be it's a myth?, may be next week, maybe april fools, maybe not, patience is a virtue, patience wastes your life, post generator, pr 1.2, pr1.2, product release, repost, rerun, rick roll'd, speculation, update, worst thread ever