Originally Posted by taril View Post
Samsung gives the internal firmwares for public in every week for testing.
Windows Mobile, Android, Bada are became very stable and useable, not like Maemo 0-5, and I guess MeeGo will be defected too.

I dont want any device surrounding me that Nokia is handling, ever!
Imagine that, your car system is based on Meego that Nokia is develpoing! Very crappy!
You haven't even tried it yet

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by Hynkel View Post
At least there is a hint of a release date there, "some weeks still but not months" :P
Ok, check it back in about 9 weeks then, since it would have passed 1 and 3/4 month!!

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Nokia is diverting many of their maemo developers to assist with finishing Duke Nukem Forever... PR1.2 development will resume when Duke Nukem Forever is released...
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Brazil
Will Duke Nukem Forever come embedded with Meego devices?

Originally Posted by russo_br View Post
Will Duke Nukem Forever come embedded with Meego devices?
Hardware embedded, I heard.

The Following User Says Thank You to Konceptz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 384 | Thanked: 95 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Romania
I know the reason why PR 1.2 is late. Nokia want to test their customers fidelity. If we pass the test they will reward us with a firmware who has all the symbian features plus all the best that maemo brings. Then the OVI store will fill with a lot of cool applications and games, even NGAGE.
That's why we have to be patient. The problem is that the guys didn't tell us how long the test will be.
Cheers!

what i just dont get is why nokia cant give us release dates..
is it that hard for them to plan ahead? incredible..

for example i take the Eclipse foundation and there release trains that are planned ahead i think about 10 to 12 months.
those release trains are big, they are a huge huge codebase. Not just the eclipse core system and jdt tooling. no many many sub projects all targeting a specific release date almost a year ahead with mile stone builds every 1.5 month or so.

did they ever in all these years form 1.0 to now 3.5 and busy finalizing 3.6 miss one target date? no they never did..... I find that pretty amazing for such a large codebase.

what i hope nokia is going to do is say we are releasing a new firmware every 2 months in the first week of that month.
then just plan make a cut (branch) a few weeks before the release, strart testing internally, fix some regressions, make 1 public beta or something 1 week before. then test some more and release.
in the mean time the trunk stream also progressed and the cycle starts over. (with a bit of planning what to get in (try to) in the next.

Originally Posted by jcompagner View Post
what i just dont get is why nokia cant give us release dates..
is it that hard for them to plan ahead? incredible..

for example i take the Eclipse foundation and there release trains that are planned ahead i think about 10 to 12 months.
those release trains are big, they are a huge huge codebase. Not just the eclipse core system and jdt tooling. no many many sub projects all targeting a specific release date almost a year ahead with mile stone builds every 1.5 month or so.

did they ever in all these years form 1.0 to now 3.5 and busy finalizing 3.6 miss one target date? no they never did..... I find that pretty amazing for such a large codebase.

what i hope nokia is going to do is say we are releasing a new firmware every 2 months in the first week of that month.
then just plan make a cut (branch) a few weeks before the release, strart testing internally, fix some regressions, make 1 public beta or something 1 week before. then test some more and release.
in the mean time the trunk stream also progressed and the cycle starts over. (with a bit of planning what to get in (try to) in the next.
Because FW updates aren't something to tack a release date on. You can't schedule a bugfix or a feature that didn't make it into the previous firmware because it wasn't ready yet.

Just ask all those Android users waiting on a 2.x update how they feel about release dates LOL

The Following User Says Thank You to EverythingBlaxx For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by EverythingBlaxx View Post
Because FW updates aren't something to tack a release date on. You can't schedule a bugfix or a feature that didn't make it into the previous firmware because it wasn't ready yet.

Just ask all those Android users waiting on a 2.x update how they feel about release dates LOL
Understood it's hard and improbable to ask for a release date, but with PR 1.2, how hard would it be for them to release a "no going to be released this month" date.

It would resolve the misplaced anticipation.

It's also more feasible than releasing even a target month?

1:"Hey Bob, think we can release this month?"
2:"Probably not, we still have 6 testers that haven't reported in"
1:"Ok, I'm going to release that it won't be available this month."

Is that asking too much?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Konceptz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Konceptz View Post
Understood it's hard and improbable to ask for a release date, but with PR 1.2, how hard would it be for them to release a "no going to be released this month" date.
Hmm, if its unpredictable, they can't tell you right?

It would resolve the misplaced anticipation.
I understand the community wanting to talk about stuff that is coming down the pipe. How about users taking leaked information with a grain of salt and not placing expectations on Nokia that they did not create themselves.

It's also more feasible than releasing even a target month?

1:"Hey Bob, think we can release this month?"
2:"Probably not, we still have 6 testers that haven't reported in"
1:"Ok, I'm going to release that it won't be available this month."

Is that asking too much?
Nice. Make a unfounded generalization, trivializing a process that you have absolutely no view into. Very helpful. ;-)

Tags
black hole, vortex of dumb