Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by sophocha View Post
They better add Flash 10.1 on PR1.2, otherwise the waiting will not worth it!
As has been said many times before in many places, 'They' - I assume you mean Nokia - have nothing to do with when we get flash 10. That's up to Adobe.

As for me, I have little real interest in flash. Other factors will decide if PR1.2 is significant.
Registered Linux user #266531.

No offense,

but N900 is marketed as an INTERNET TABLET with basic phone functions in the first place, not the other way round.

That is why if anyone wanna get a phone, N900 is not for them.

I had not recommended no less than 3 persons not to get N900 cos I know they want a phone, not an internet tablet. They are just enticed by the nice UI and powerful browser that they failed to see the shortcomings that comes with phone features.

Originally Posted by NopeaJ View Post
I've been reading these whining posts for quite a while now and managed to restrain myself from posting, but now I'll just have to add my 2 cents.

Not everyone bought n900 for a nerdpad. Most people in fact are not interested in learning to read code or play around with their kernels. The majority of the people on this forum maybe, but not of the whole customer base.

Generally when people buy phones (yes its a phone for most people, i doubt people carry a second device to call mommy and daddy), they expect them to work. PR. 1.1 Works. If they would release an unfinished PR 1.2, as some would like it to be, it would be disasterous. OTA updates pop up automatically when you go on the net. I would assume 100% of the users would update. Yet maybe 1% know how to reflash their device. Imagine the troubles that would create.

Yes, Linux releases unfinished stuff. It is mainly used by people from the IT field. And its free. Even though the majority of people on this forum have some relationship with the IT field, you need to take your heads out of your bums and realise that there's a world outside maemo.org. And in that world n900 is a phone.

Last edited by xgrind; 2010-05-16 at 13:26.

IMO, there are always bugs in a complex electronics devices like N900, it's a matter of how severe it is.

But I like your idea of Nokia having a separate repository for regular minor updates of the OS so that the adventurous can actually feedback to Nokia SW team on the bugs and quirks seen based on REAL-LIFE consumer usage patterns.

And yes, the wait for PR1.2 is kinda too long, long enough that I had gone down the road of using leaked PR1.2, which I will say it's very much improvement with a couple of obvious bugs (like camera exposure compensation bug)

Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
PR 1.0 was buggy. PR 1.1 was buggy. PR 1.1.1 is still very buggy. I know what you are trying to say but you know also that PR 1.2 will be buggy. OTA update is definitely a concern but really, they cannot cater for everyone as some will have 100+ apps installed. Many from extras-devel.

So why not release 1.1.2 , 1.1.3, 1.1.4, 1.1.5 weekly or daily builds like Fennec? Nokia can easily make a different repository for the daily/weekly builds if they are worried about every mums and dads updating. Heck, I don't care if they don't provide OTA update for these pre-mature builds. I'm willing to fully reflash my phone with every new alpha/beta update if it's worth it.

Definitely better than waiting 4+ months to get a fix/enhancement which was completed 3-4 months ago.....

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ T.M.O
Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
As has been said many times before in many places, 'They' - I assume you mean Nokia - have nothing to do with when we get flash 10. That's up to Adobe.

As for me, I have little real interest in flash. Other factors will decide if PR1.2 is significant.
Yes, that's all what everybody has heard.

But this quote from the Adobe forums doesn't make it sound like that its only in their hand.
Tam, Alan
2. May 12, 2010 8:36 AM in response to: Joe_Chip
Re: Maemo 5 (Nokia N900)

Adobe provides a porting kit and Linux-based reference implementation to Open Screen Project partners to allow them to port Flash Player 10.1 to other platforms.
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/632853

Originally Posted by xgrind View Post
but N900 is marketed as an INTERNET TABLET with basic phone functions in the first place, not the other way round.
I think that instead of blaming average users about that, Nokia should put more effort to underline that the N900 has no great phone capability.

The first thingh should be to correct all blogs and social sites, for example wikipedia, where it seems it's a mobile computer and a *smartphone*. Why all those guys made a so big mistake? it's a mistery.

The second is to change all that market pics and video full of people with earphones, that seems to suggest the n900 has video call capability, for example on http://maemo.nokia.com/features/phone/, (Yes I know on top of the page you read "voice calls", but please do not use that as a lawyer, please be human!)

Finally, do not repeat the mistake with meego too, if meego will not have full phone capabilities please write it in a clear way.

The Following User Says Thank You to nicola.mfb For This Useful Post:
Posts: 75 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Verona, Italy
@nicola.mfb
I agree with you, but if you read in the main page of maemo.nokia, you will find:

"Maemo brings the power of computers to mobile devices. Designed with the internet at its core, Linux-based Maemo software takes us into a new era of mobile computing."

and then

"Maemo is available on the Nokia N900 - a high-performance mobile computer with a powerful processor, large internal storage, and sharp touch-screen display."

In feature -> Phone

"Your mobile computer can also be used as a phone. Select a friend and tap to make a voice call from virtually anywhere in the world."

Posts: 311 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Boston, MA
Why are people so hung up with sementics with the N900...

The whole its a tablet versus its a phone and the lack of portrait functionality in the device because its a tablet!

I think the built in phone functionality is sufficient however it is a mostly open source device so therefore the community can and is building in the portrait mode and the phone enhancements! Nokia are also supporting this as there are enough people asking for it and why not, on top of everything the N900 is for it, it is also my primary/only phone... There is a definite need for them and why people are so opposed to this I dont understand.

The enhancements to the phone capabilities and portrait mode can only make a good device better so why is this such a problem!!!

NOTE I am very happy with my n900 but I will not complain about functionality/features which can only help to make it a better device...

Last edited by jer006; 2010-05-16 at 15:16.

The Following User Says Thank You to jer006 For This Useful Post:
It really depends on how one perceive that statement.

What that link described for N900 is true. N900 can do its voice calls well and do a good work on sms features. Marketing wise, they are not wrong.

If you are ever in the marketing line, you will know that you will only place features the product carries and NEVER things that will undermine the product retail value. This is what I have learnt from my marketing department during my years in a consumer electronics company. Hence, misinformation to consumers will happen from time to time.

This debate will never end. Only thing you and I can do as a user is to explain to people we know and interested in getting N900 to reconsider, with us telling them the pros and cons of the product. The rest, it is always better to do some homework instead of getting the device on impulse.

Meanwhile for us, just enjoy the tablet

Cheers

Originally Posted by nicola.mfb View Post
I think that instead of blaming average users about that, Nokia should put more effort to underline that the N900 has no great phone capability.

The first thingh should be to correct all blogs and social sites, for example wikipedia, where it seems it's a mobile computer and a *smartphone*. Why all those guys made a so big mistake? it's a mistery.

The second is to change all that market pics and video full of people with earphones, that seems to suggest the n900 has video call capability, for example on http://maemo.nokia.com/features/phone/, (Yes I know on top of the page you read "voice calls", but please do not use that as a lawyer, please be human!)

Finally, do not repeat the mistake with meego too, if meego will not have full phone capabilities please write it in a clear way.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Saying "it's not a phone" was an interesting point, a year ago. Now it's a tired cliche. Arguing with this tired cliche is another tired cliche.

It is what it is.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
many shouting about the phone capability of the N900... What is so wrong in this area? If i look at the phone app i add with the E90 and the the N900 then the app itself is fine. Works fine, i can make calls i can text easy.

The only thing that is really missing (so not really a bug) is more in the area of bluetooth.. No voice dialing or good car integration (phonebook and so on). But for the rest....?

Tags
black hole, vortex of dumb