Notices

Posts: 82 | Thanked: 214 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cape town
Awesome work, might I ask how you managed to figure it out? I was searching high and low for what the phone app did, but didn't manage to find anything... Actually, I think I even recall taking a snapshot using alsa-ctl, then restoring it after hanging up, but I still didn't notice a change.

The Following User Says Thank You to cb22 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Well, I figured it was time to come good on my promise so I grabbed the kernel source and started reading Nokia's Kernel Guide.
Anyway, after making unsuccessful modifications to drivers/misc/nokia-av.c and sound/soc/rx51.c to try and force it to enable the button even if "a normal pair of headphones" are plugged in (my understanding of electronics is even worse than my coding skills), I realised that having the mic enabled along with the button are mutually exclusive (this "bias" stuff).

Since my attempts at hackihg the driver failed, I looked at what was actually doing the disabling on the users' side: the Policy system. Did a grep in /usr/share/policy for "bias" and found a text file that could be exited. Made disabling the bias the same thing as enabling it and rebooted it in hope.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post

I will be uploading an "enabler" package to extras-devel later on today along with a quick daemon that pauses/plays a track in the Media Player. Ultimately, if thp allows it, I'd like to get it into headphoned but thp uses libdbus and I like dbus-glib...
any luck with the 'enabler' package?

Cheers

The Following User Says Thank You to rajil.s For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by rajil.s View Post
any luck with the 'enabler' package?

Cheers
It's in -devel. It's rather useless without anything utilizing it, however, so I'm still in the process of porting of Headset Control to C (MAFW-only ATM)

Last edited by qwerty12; 2010-05-16 at 10:34.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on May 2010 @ Ile-De-France, France
Oh, yes, baby; you bet your *** there's progress!

Here's how to enable it:
Open the file /usr/share/policy/etc/current/alsaped.conf and replace "jackbias-off = jack-bias: off" with "jackbias-off = jack-bias: on"; reboot and watch the System bus.

I will be uploading an "enabler" package to extras-devel later on today along with a quick daemon that pauses/plays a track in the Media Player. Ultimately, if thp allows it, I'd like to get it into headphoned but thp uses libdbus and I like dbus-glib...
Hello,
I have a Maemo 5/PR1.1 :
Code:
Nokia-N900-51-1:~# uname -a
Linux Nokia-N900-51-1 2.6.28.10power-omap1 #1 PREEMPT Thu Apr 15 00:30:53 EEST 2010 armv7l unknown
I have not found "bias" in "/usr/share/policy"

I have just add to /usr/share/policy/etc/current/alsaped.conf this line :

Code:
jackbias-off = jack-bias: on
and reboot, but the dmesg or dbus-monitor command don't detect headphone buttons.

Any idea ?

Thanks in advance.

tym.

The Following User Says Thank You to tym81 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tym81 View Post
I have not found "bias" in "/usr/share/policy"
Hello,

You sure? I have it here and the only thing that differs is that I'm using LPR 1.2.

Anyway, just pushed Headset Control 0.2 to Extras-devel.

[Insert standard, usual Extras-devel warning]

By default - when pressing the button - it tells MAFW to pause/play the track.
If you set the GConf key /apps/headset-control/next-mode to true, a press will result in it skipping to the next track in whatever state the Media Player is currently in (Paused/Stopped/Playing etc.)

Implementing a "if button held" functionality would've been nice, but the only time a signal gets emitted is when the button is depressed.
A "delay between presses" functionality would've also been nice, but it seems the nokia-av module enforces a mandatory delay before you can press the button again. It's too long, IMO, for any sort of delay in the program for sending different commands.

Also, because the ability for a signal to be emitted when pressing the signal was intermittent, Headset Control will force the button to be enabled (if a Nokia headset is plugged in, of course) on startup and 5 seconds after a call is ended. (Code snippet here: http://slexy.org/view/s21Wl6YqxI)

Best regards.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
Hello,

You sure? I have it here and the only thing that differs is that I'm using LPR 1.2.

Anyway, just pushed Headset Control 0.2 to Extras-devel.

[Insert standard, usual Extras-devel warning]

By default - when pressing the button - it tells MAFW to pause/play the track.
If you set the GConf key /apps/headset-control/next-mode to true, a press will result in it skipping to the next track in whatever state the Media Player is currently in (Paused/Stopped/Playing etc.)

Implementing a "if button held" functionality would've been nice, but the only time a signal gets emitted is when the button is depressed.
A "delay between presses" functionality would've also been nice, but it seems the nokia-av module enforces a mandatory delay before you can press the button again. It's too long, IMO, for any sort of delay in the program for sending different commands.

Also, because the ability for a signal to be emitted when pressing the signal was intermittent, Headset Control will force the button to be enabled (if a Nokia headset is plugged in, of course) on startup and 5 seconds after a call is ended. (Code snippet here: http://slexy.org/view/s21Wl6YqxI)

Best regards.
Not working here, dmesg doesn't show anything about a button press.
Code:
[ 3669.544677] wlan0: no IPv6 routers present
[ 4989.052886] headphone (GPIO 177) is now connected
[ 4990.585937] input: headset button as /class/input/input4
[ 4990.896972] kb_lock (GPIO 113) is now closed
[ 4991.083923] kb_lock (GPIO 113) is now open
[ 4992.263610] slide (GPIO 71) is now open
[ 5003.388519] slide (GPIO 71) is now closed
[ 5076.966796] headphone (GPIO 177) is now disconnected
[ 5084.677673] headphone (GPIO 177) is now connected
[ 5085.795196] input: headset button as /class/input/input5
MohammadAG-N900:~#

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MohammadAG View Post
Not working here, dmesg doesn't show anything about a button press.
Code:
[ 3669.544677] wlan0: no IPv6 routers present
[ 4989.052886] headphone (GPIO 177) is now connected
[ 4990.585937] input: headset button as /class/input/input4
[ 4990.896972] kb_lock (GPIO 113) is now closed
[ 4991.083923] kb_lock (GPIO 113) is now open
[ 4992.263610] slide (GPIO 71) is now open
[ 5003.388519] slide (GPIO 71) is now closed
[ 5076.966796] headphone (GPIO 177) is now disconnected
[ 5084.677673] headphone (GPIO 177) is now connected
[ 5085.795196] input: headset button as /class/input/input5
MohammadAG-N900:~#
What about "dbus-monitor --system"?
Also, what does "cat /sys/devices/platform/nokia-av/type" return? With the HS-48's I have, it returns 4.
Is it actually running (sorry, I'm not used to writing Upstart scripts)?
If you have ltrace installed, you can check what it's doing - a press of the headset button should lead it into the function that gets called when the button gets pressed; you should see it calling "mafw_renderer_*".
If you have syslog running, messages emited by the object will be sent there.
Also, you may need to start playing from the desktop widget initially to populate the playlist (I don't know enough about MAFW to attempt it myself, alas).

Finally, if it still doesn't work, maybe Nokia added the jackbias stuff in PR 1.2

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
It's in -devel. It's rather useless without anything utilizing it, however, so I'm still in the process of porting of Headset Control to C (MAFW-only ATM)
MAFW-only? I don't suppose that means OS2008 at some point does it? Or have I got more chance of a date with Paris??

not expecting anything btw!

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

The Following User Says Thank You to gazza_d For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gazza_d View Post
MAFW-only? I don't suppose that means OS2008 at some point does it? Or have I got more chance of a date with Paris??

not expecting anything btw!
No, but what's wrong with the deb in #1?

On OS2008, it's only possible to pause/play tracks unless you work for Nokia...

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:

Tags
ad-54/hs-45, headset button