Active Topics

Posts: 1,187 | Thanked: 816 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Australia
Hello,
The title pretty much explains my entire question.

I downloaded Opera lastnight and it's great, very similar to my Opera 10.x.x on my PC. Great. Enough said.

The on screen keyboard is where I have become amazed.
I expected the Maemo crappy O/S keyboard to pop up, and insted I got a great keyboard.. Is there any way to have this or one similar to this insted of the weak *** one provided by Maemo?

There are 1001 keyboard's available for iPhones, I'm wondering if we can do similar on N900?

I agree! The "Maemo" keyboard thus far is behind when it comes to user-keyboard interface. It takes up the whole screen and you have reopen it when moving to another type location etc,etc!

Last edited by bobaseth; 2010-05-16 at 23:56. Reason: Error

I couldn't agree more, we certainly need this for the N900.

I just think that would it being an open linux platform, it should not be that hard to change it to a more streamlined, low profile keyboard. Something else I can still see the screen.. OPERA have done exactly that.... Any developers/tweakers care to help?

Posts: 518 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ italy
Originally Posted by kingoddball View Post
I just think that would it being an open linux platform, it should not be that hard to change it to a more streamlined, low profile keyboard. Something else I can still see the screen.. OPERA have done exactly that.... Any developers/tweakers care to help?
i think and suspect that the keyboard layouts are in the selected theme... in the IMAGES folder

While I don't mind the osk that comes with Maemo (I would like that it doesn't cover the whole screen, though, but half - like in Opera) I would really love to have a good portrait keyboard, especially with all the new portrait modes coming in 1.2 (intended or not).

Typing while browsing or IM-ing in portrait would be great, and it works really well in Opera.

However, not sure if this is possible. It seems there's more to it than just designing a vertical set of buttons. Perhaps someone with the technical knowledge could care to enlighten us!

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
I don't think that opera is open sourced so probably no-go to 'take it' and use it .
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
There's already a thread for this, I thought?

<edit> Yep - right here.

Who knows how to create *.vkb files that would act like the Opera one?

I don't mind if it's not the exact osk from opera, I just meant the same design. Half screen and small profile.

Portrait and Landscape halfscreen keyboards.

Last edited by kingoddball; 2010-05-17 at 00:37.

who knows how to get the adobe flash player to install? i tried to download all the file types from the adobe site when redirected (.deb, tar.gz, rpm and YUM) but none would install. help...