Active Topics

I was wondering how much space do I have for installing apps?

Originally Posted by fw190 View Post
If I'm remembering right, I had something about 700-800 MB of free space after doing localepurge (see the wiki).

The Following User Says Thank You to bimbim For This Useful Post:
Does anyone knows a GUI compiler (for c++) like dev-c++ which i can install via synaptic? i tried g++-4.1 but i didnt make it.

Posts: 276 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Frankfurt, Germany
Originally Posted by BLIZZARD View Post
Does anyone knows a GUI compiler (for c++) like dev-c++ which i can install via synaptic? i tried g++-4.1 but i didnt make it.
maybe Anjuta or Code::Blocks

The Following User Says Thank You to mankir For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mankir View Post
maybe Anjuta or Code::Blocks
thanks i will try them

Posts: 579 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Austria
Originally Posted by fw190 View Post
That you see when you type "df" in the Debian chroot terminal.

When you install lots of stuff from the command-line, you should do "apt-get clean" regularly to free some space.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rebhana For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rebhana View Post
I have also installed gnumeric and a desktop file under .local and it does work, even when I give a nonexistent icon as in your above posting. Let's check whether you've really done what you say. What do you get when you type in
Code:
cat /home/user/.local/share/applications/hildon/gnumeric.desktop
That should be now
Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=gnumeric
Icon=gnumeric
Exec=debbie gnumeric
Type=Application
That should give a gnumeric app with a blank (blue) icon in the application manager (once you've rebooted, as I already said). If you replace the icon by an existing one, like ooo-calc (the ending .png is omitted) you should also have a special icon, but even without it works for me.

If still no - perhaps you haven't installed gnumeric yet?
That is most easily done with the Debian chroot terminal app (red swirl icon), by typing in
Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install gnumeric
apt-get clean
Hello, I'm having a similar problem on my N900. When I create .desktop files in the /home/user/.local/share/applications/hildon directory they don't appear in my app list anywhere. That is, they are not in the task launcher or the list of shortcuts to add to the desktop. I've run the cat command and the file contents display correctly.

When I instead put them in /usr/share/applications/hildon then they do appear and can be added to my desktop but they don't do anything, even though "debbie gnumeric" does work in the terminal.

Can anyone help? I've described the problem more in this thread:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=40223

Posts: 579 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Austria
Originally Posted by Davey101 View Post
Hello, I'm having a similar problem on my N900. When I create .desktop files in the /home/user/.local/share/applications/hildon directory they don't appear in my app list anywhere. That is, they are not in the task launcher or the list of shortcuts to add to the desktop. I've run the cat command and the file contents display correctly.

When I instead put them in /usr/share/applications/hildon then they do appear and can be added to my desktop but they don't do anything, even though "debbie gnumeric" does work in the terminal.

Can anyone help? I've described the problem more in this thread:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=40223
If putting .desktop files in /home/user/.local/share/applications/hildon don't show up even after a reboot, that could mean that you don't have PR1.1 yet. Could that be?

But /usr/share/applications/hildon should work at any rate. Could you post the exact content of your desktop file? I have a gnumeric.desktop file reading
Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=gnumeric
Icon=ooo-calc
Exec=debbie gnumeric
Type=Application

Last edited by rebhana; 2010-05-20 at 17:31.

The Following User Says Thank You to rebhana For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Aha, I've heard that the UK never got PR1.1 for some reason... Maybe that's Davey101's problem for the ~/.local/share/applications/hildon files...

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Hi, thanks for the reply! Yes I am running PR1.1 but it's the UK Vodafone variant. I've been waiting (and waiting) for PR1.2 to come along before re-flashing with generic.

Having gone out and come back to the problem, I've made the following discoveries:

1) Items in /home/user/.local/share/applications/hildon are showing up in the task launcher, at the bottom, but not in the 'Add Shortcut' list -- even after a reboot. I thought they were also missing from the task launcher but I've just become too accustomed to Catorise putting things in alphabetical order.

2) Items in /usr/share/applications/hildon are appearing in both lists and are now working on the desktop!!!

I don't know why they are suddenly working. It is possible I was doing something stupid that is now unreproducible...

The Following User Says Thank You to Davey101 For This Useful Post:

Tags
beta, debian, easy debian, extras-devel, fremantle, i <3 qole, squeeze