Active Topics

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I am curious about what the cost to Nokia would be of upgrading Flash. It must be substantial.

It seems to me undeniable that Nokia made a big deal of the Flash support on the N900. The only reason I can think of not supporting the flash upgrade is high expense.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 431 | Thanked: 239 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
If that what Qole keep saying it's true, (obviously I don't know how top your fiend is) personally I'll be very p** off. Because what we saw 7 months ago on Adobe presentation 1st device running experimental Flash 10.1 on N900. That was exactly the same time when Nokia released N900 on the market!!!! For me that will be nothing else that FALSE MARKETING from Nokia side. They used Adobe conference to attract people and abandon support on this project?

Technically it is possible to run fully GPU accelerated Flash 10.1 on this device since have all of required chips responsible for acceleration, video encoding and even vector drawing (triangulation). If OS can't handle that, software can always change. If they don't have resources to support N900 and Maemo and changed focus on MeeGoo in future phones they have to keep Flash 10.1 in mind as well. There is pretty straight forward specification from Adobe side what modern device needs to have to run Flash 10.1. And N900 is the on the list. ARM processor is actually same for all of the mobiles and platforms. If they can compile the binnary to this architecture there is no reason why N900 couldn't handle that.

Once again, I don't really care if Flash 10.1 comes up here via hack or any tricky solution.
I can only say if NOKIA using FALSE MARKETING this is very bad for them. People here will do a riot and finally they lost more trusted customers. If this is some technical problem, we can wait. As long as they working together they can work it out.

If this is political/marketing decision only see my first point.

The fact that First beta will be available on Android First was well know from 5 months on adobe labs. So no surprise here this is only confirmation that Flash 10.1 project for mobile devices is on track and we can expect final release soon.

As for now I am big fun of great device. I'm not saying anything good about NOKIA, I have even body protector that cover NOKIA logo. Please NOKIA show me I'm wrong about your FALSE MARKETING.

Last edited by devu; 2010-05-20 at 21:28.

Posts: 61 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Manchester, United Kingdom
I feel sick that because we are a niche OS, we don't get attention like the other big communities. Certainly makes a good case for the whole 'big player monopolies' argument.

Right now we have a phone that can't really do Flash Video which, lets face it, is what iPhone users crave from Apple (certainly what I have read on Apple forums).

We have iPhone-level functionality but with less apps.

Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
They'll have to explain that.

I swallowed the "no OS2007 on 770" eventually. I understood why Fremantle wasn't ported to the N8x0. Hell, I even understand why PR1.2 isn't available yet. And actually I don't care about Flash at all, I hate it. But if the N900 could run 10.1 technically and they don't include it in a future upgrade, they better have a very good excuse for that.
It can , couple of months ago I read in an article that minimum system requirement for Flash was ARM Cortex A8. So it really up to Nokia to add it to N900.

IMHO they will make so many angry and frustrated N900 users happy that we will forgive so many things like PR 1.2 lateness , lack of apps for a 7 months old device and much much more. NOKIA do you hear US ?

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
On some days, it's small things like this that reconfirm that Maemo just is really no bigger than this forum.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
I don't know what NOKIA know about marketing rules, but here we use to say:

1 well treated customer can bring you 10 new,
1 p** off customer will pull out 100.

This way you are not going in right direction.

The Following User Says Thank You to devu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 61 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Manchester, United Kingdom
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
On some days, it's small things like this that reconfirm that Maemo just is really no bigger than this forum.
Amen to that!

The Following User Says Thank You to cazzajay For This Useful Post:
I will wait for maemo 5 or meego to get F 10.1 for about 2 months otherwiese il buy the htc desire or the samsung galaxy S

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by devu View Post
I don't know what NOKIA know about marketing rules...
Matters on your region, however most people in the US, Canada and Japan would probably say "What marketing?"

Outside of those regions, not sure what you'd say. But Flash 10.1 was never part of their marketing to begin with. It was shown by Adobe at an Adobe conference. If the decision to have Adobe skip the current generation OS (or worse, hardware) came from Nokia, then and only then would I be up in arms at Nokia.

As it stands right now, it's all speculation in those regards.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
As it stands right now, it's all speculation in those regards.
And staying naive for a while I hope you right.

Last edited by devu; 2010-05-20 at 22:29.