Active Topics

Poll: Would you recommend the N900 to a friend?
Poll Options
Would you recommend the N900 to a friend?

Originally Posted by HellFlyer View Post
It depends on who the friend is
If he is a Linux nerd or an enthusiast like me I would recommend it for sure
Same here, I'd recommend it to anyone who is willing to go through the effort to reap the rewards.

Originally Posted by Odeh View Post
few hours ago, my friend call me to ask about n900 to get new one, when he know maps is not step by step navigation, he just going to n97

Edit : also the size of phone, and sorry its n97

he got n900 1 hour ago

Posts: 118 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Jakarta, Indonesia
i wouldn't recommend n900 to anyone i know...
because i don't like to be bothered by them asking about how to use n900

if they like the n900, let them read more about it
probably i'll lend them my n900 & if they want to buy it, let them decide it by themselves

Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by cazzajay View Post
Spot on!

A lot of the features this has don't properly work anyway - "portrait mode" only for phone functionality and sluggish at that

"Full flash player" means version 9 which can't handle flash video.

"Media player" means play/stop/skip with no equalizer, etc.

BUT I like the chat protocol functions. Still wouldn't recommend overall though - too many headaches and patient sighs as other OSes get better whilst fremantle stays still.
I like it too

If Nokia didnt jump into that MeeGo/Moblin stuff and continued to improve Maemo 5 and later on real Maemo 6 we all would see some damn good devices. Its hard to accept that they abandoned such a great OS without finishing it.

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

Posts: 61 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Manchester, United Kingdom
Yer the phrase "planned obsolescence" rings a bell with the N900.

I'd only recommend it to smart/techie people.

I wouldn't even recommend it to average techie people

Posts: 61 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Manchester, United Kingdom
I'm just surprised that, on the Maemo forum itself, only 55% of people voted yes...

Posts: 108 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Chicago
I would not recommend this phone right now. You would think that Nokia would release some information regarding Meego or the N900 with this Google I/O conference going on. It seems that they have abandoned the device and are now focusing on the N8. No new information regarding the phone. And still no flash 10.1 or any info regarding it. They still sell the phone as if it is a mainstream device. No info regarding the now infamous pr1.2. They sure do know how to drum up support and leave you hanging. Sounds like blue balls to me. All the new phones coming out this year you would think Nokia wants to steal some thunder from HTC and Android or at least put some spotlight on their high-spec N900. Am I the only one that noticed try took frals work and on their website it doesn't say no MMS anymore? It comes with a note about receiving text messages and sizing. This is on the Nokia USA site regarding mms. I might never buy another Nokia device that costs more than $50. When you spend that much on a phone you don't expect much. But when you spend $600 you kinda expect a little much. The N8 is going to be their high end device and it might not cost that much. They give you the 12mp camera to throw you off the processor speed and the symbian OS. Can't believe they still use it.

No. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone unless they are die-hard Linux users.

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Glendale, CA
I would recommend it to the right friend. I love the little thing. But I also love the N800, N810 and the hp h5550 running familiar I used for several years. If one wants the best mobile platform for hacking, running free software, browsing the web and being constantly connected - the N900 is it. If you want a phone or you want a more complete multimedia experience, the N900 isn't there yet. So my wife probably gets an iPhone and my super nerdy friends get an N900. And I voted yes, just because I have plenty of friends that I would recommend the phone to.

Posts: 195 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Switzerland
I've tried but nobody was freaky enough for this great pleasure..