Posts: 84 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Tricase, Lecce (ITA)
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
The real reason that the music stops is the lack of the possibility to play sounds from more than one source at a time.

The camera application have to playback the shutter sound when your device is not in the silent mode (its a law in some countries) - the application can only do this when every other sound playback stops.

On the most desktop machines you will hear booth sounds at a time, but the N900 driver can't handle more than one source at a time. The driver can't mix it.

For the multitasking FUD: I can't playback a video in Background!
That's very sad. I would like to check eMails or write SMS sometimes during watching a movie. Stop the Image and continue only the audio playback would fix this for me.

you must try to play a mp3 file from Media player. Thene, with sound in back ground, open Muss org sky and press play: your n900 will play two mp3 at the same time. So is not a lack of hardware

Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
Originally Posted by Shady 91' View Post
you must try to play a mp3 file from Media player. Thene, with sound in back ground, open Muss org sky and press play: your n900 will play two mp3 at the same time. So is not a lack of hardware
You are right, its not as pulseaudio handles all the mixing of more than one sound at the same time. However you did just highlight the point that the N900 IS multi-tasking.

Also, if Ovi Store offered more stuff you would in fact still be able to browse what you want to install next. There is nothing to stop you installing something then switching back to the store while its installing. Well, nothing other than the fact it will probably have finished installing by the time the web browser swaps back in and the app manager has a nasty habit of asking for permission all the time so you might end up with it sat waiting for you to confirm installation.

My Websites
CSD Projects - Flickr - UAE4Maemo (UAE4All Compatibility List)

Favourite N900 Applications
Picodrive - UAE4All

Please post your UAE4All compatibility reports. Even better, post them to my UAE4Maemo site!
Not sure how UAE4All works such as mouse emulation? Read the FAQ.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by bigbrovar View Post
This is actually a limitation imposed by the underline technology behind application install that the N900 uses. It is based on apt-get which is a frontend to dpkg the GNU Debain/ Linux package manager. Once an installation process is on. dpkg puts a lock on where package cache directory. what this means is that no other package management would be allowed until the installation is complete.
Although it's true that you wouldn't be able to do multiple installs or uninstalls simultaneously, there's no technical reason why you shouldn't be allowed to browse around the list of apps, read descriptions etc.

The Application Manager code is open source, so theoretically the community could fix this.

IMHO installing is one of processes when you should NOT do anything else. And after all if you look time spend with device the installing is just tiny amount of time. Or is your daily routine to install ~3 apps EVERYDAY to end of devices lifecycle.

BUT then again current app manager is slow as hell (all repositories enabled) and search functionality is really basic and it screams for portrait mode (more information on one eyeful).

I agree. Install one application at a time and see how it works with what you already have before wanting to add several others. Also, the search functionality is basic under the App Manager and would benefit from portrait mode as stated, but that seems to me an issue for another thread, having NOTHING to do with Multi-Tasking.

If the OP has realized that his post is ill-titled, not to mention inaccurate, I need to wonder why he has not gotten the title changed.

Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
For the multitasking FUD: I can't playback a video in Background!
That's very sad. I would like to check eMails or write SMS sometimes during watching a movie. Stop the Image and continue only the audio playback would fix this for me.
Works fine with Sib/Mplayer combo, I do that all the time when watching my shows on the subway, heck I even watch shows with subs, listen to music and still reply to some sms's at the same time.

So it can Play video, send SMS's/E-mails, Browse the web, play some game, and listen to music at the same time. Isn't this considered Multi-tasking ?

Has for the App Manager I actually tend to use apt since I'm used to it from long years using Debian, but what someone said back there makes sense, the manager could have some kind of way of marking the apps to install and then install like Aptitude or other apt front-ends.