Posts: 108 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Chicago
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Early adopters should always know the risks.
Everybody didn't know they would be early adopters because this was not a new operating system. They might have looked at it as, "Oh, this 2.2 is an upgrade to 1.5." Not from the perspective of it being a whole new OS. They haven't clarified that nor have they tried to.

Posts: 295 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Manchester, UK
Originally Posted by cjp View Post
There should be a little "Things you should know about the N900" slip you could read before buying the phone.

It would begin with:
"Struggling between getting the iPhone or the N900? If you answered 'yes', then this phone is not for you." ...
haha very funny

that slip would actually save alot of disappointment for potential buyers

i LOVE my N900

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by gom4381 View Post
Everybody didn't know they would be early adopters because this was not a new operating system. They might have looked at it as, "Oh, this 2.2 is an upgrade to 1.5." Not from the perspective of it being a whole new OS. They haven't clarified that nor have they tried to.
Actually it is a new OS. Nokia was rather clear about that before the launch.

Although it's step 4 out of 5, Maemo 5 has very little to do with Maemo 4. Think about it like this. What phone or tablet had Maemo 5 to compare it to before it came out?

Nothing. Thus, it was a new platform and honestly a risk. Even moreso now since MeeGo was announced 6 months after the release of Maemo 5.

Originally Posted by telnet View Post
After forking out 499.99 in a flagship store for this device i have now learnt my lesson.

NEVER buy a nokia device no matter how good it is until its been on the market for 8 months and has a mature firmware that works..

Nokia still have the best hardware, but when they finally get the software wortking for it everything else has caught up.

Anyone agree or have i had too much sun/beer today?

be ready mate! to be sucked on your throat! whenever someone posts an "I hate n900" thread you'll get attacked! telling you are stupid *****in poster

you should never buy not only nokia but any device without doing lots of research and yes wait for few months after release and see the feecback. this is a geeks phone. if you have a willingness to become slight geek or geek then this is for you.

My n900 does everything I need it to do and is capable of a whole lot more. Pretty much anything linux based, if I'm not mistaken.

The build quality is impressive compared to other Nokia phones, and I don't seem to need 'an app for that' when I have the entire web instead.

Hardware accelerated flash playback would be a plus, as would an app to wake up and go to work instead of me on a Monday morning.... lottery result predictor...

As a vodafone uk customer it's frustrating not to be able to access their live services such as TV, more so as they have continued to charge me for them since January despite my protests. This has now been resolved and I have been compensated.

Strangely though, nothing unexpected that I hadn't read about before buying my n900 has happened. I knew about mms issues etc.

I'm not about to enter into and apple or ms bashing attack. Can't we all agree to have out own opinions and not have to validate them by attacking others?

btw android looks promising and might tempt me on my next upgrade, but who knows.... for now my n900 is fine, what I expected.

The Following User Says Thank You to oweng For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gri View Post
NEVER buy a <insert manufacturer here> device no matter how good it is until its been on the market for <random number> months and has a mature firmware that works..
correct

also i got my n900 since more than 6 month ago for around $950, and now its for just $550 here

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
i wouldnt bet on android fixing problems some of you have with maemo. after using android 2.1 for a bit i couldnt wait to pick up my maemo again. i think nokia as a manfucturer has made people very complacent. what nokia gives you in their cheapest touch screen device (5230) you struggle to find in other more expensive brands of touch screen (samsung 6500).

multi tasking as an example. holding the menu/home button to bring up running apps was featured in symbian almost a decade ago. android now uses the same method but less tactfully. e.g. you cannt kill/end an app from the multitasking window (seperate app for that).

so while android seems appealing i would suggest everyone spend considerable time using an actual device. to me it seems android is googles attempt at killing the iphone rather than taking on giants like nokia in their maemo/meego devices. android is just flashy (funny as their flash implementation is rather poor even with snapdragon behind it).

all hail maemo for what it allows you to do. look for better but dont diss maemo until there actually is another device as good.

The Following User Says Thank You to afaq For This Useful Post:
She looks disappointed as well:

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I regret not having bought mine earlier. The earlier, the more fun.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post: