Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by olighak View Post
Shouldn´t it be damn close to awesome then? After all they´ve had 3 trial runs and 3 generations of devices to cultivate a software ecosystem and developer contacts and agreements. A big firm like Nokia could surely, if they were serious, made the N900 ecosystem a smashing success even if it´s one stop short of the full bling bling.

Also wasn´t Nokia hoping to place itself as a content and services retailer, rather than a hardware seller.

Well....if the Maemo/Meego devices were supposed to be the future of their high end, and Step 4/5 to world domination is how they are handling the N900, when goodbye Nokia. You have failed.
errr... awesome?

damn close to be sold to the public that is. With that scale first iPhone was step 5/5.....
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 63 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Moscow
Another one have learned something new. It's good. But it seems that he've made wrong conclusion. It's bad. The correct one is: "don't buy the Device if you don't know exactly what for". Buy an iPhone and their PR department will convince you that it's the best thing for everybody. I'm sure it's the most innovative department in that company. It's one that plays the main part.
Let's get back to N900. Yes, it lacks some important features, but it has a lot of others. And you can't rely on ads or friends here. You have to decide yourself what is more important to you.
The first question must be: "Do I need the first real Linux phone?" If the answer is "yes", go and buy it, like me and a lot of other experienced Linux users. I'm sure there is no one that will exchange N900 to any other phone or he isn't a Linux user indeed. But if the answer is "no", then you have to make a deeper research: there are some users that don't know much about Linux and still happy with their devices.
And remember: this is the fourth step, but it's a completely untrodden way, because it's not just a new smartphone, it's a new business model and mistakes are unavoidable.

The Following User Says Thank You to slobodsky For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Early adopters should always know the risks.
as if the average targeted consumer knows this they expert there device to work and work as good as the marketing that convinced them to buy it

Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
I haven't actually seen any marketing for the N900, so I don't know how it has been marketed. It should be marketed as a linux computer with a phone imo. I know that many here, myself included, always wanted a linux computer with a phone, so for us it's a dream come true.

For those that don't care about the linux part it's hard to tell how they will like the device. It's very different from the competition. But definitely more interesting
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mece For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by superg05 View Post
as if the average targeted consumer knows this they expert there device to work and work as good as the marketing that convinced them to buy it
are you from england?

those guys really fcked up with N900 and marketing...
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
are you from england?

those guys really fcked up with N900 and marketing...
In the Uk Vodafone and carphone warehouse as you say did market it as a Iphone beater wonder phone at least when it first came out. nokias huge posters in London Underground stations and articles in the press gave an impression this was the killer phone not an experimental phone.

People were queueing up to buy and not all geek types but those who just wanted the best phone and the Nokia stamp of quality.

Maybe their fault but Nokia and its resellers at least in the UK, did not help.

Im happy with my N900 and once I get myself a upgrade in a few months time (luckily i only had on 12 month contract with vodafone) will still use as a tablet with the added bonsus of a very basic phone and email system bulit in. hopefully 1.2 will smooth out some of the bugs and make everyday use a little better..

I understood what the phone was but was hoping that the basic phone features were just a little better (ie entry level nokia quality cheap handset) which would have suited me fine. But after using i have to say i do prefer my E71/72 type phone while out and about but love the power of the N900.

would i recomend a N900 to a friend of mine? Only as a second phone unless they dont use a mobile normally and want a Tablet.

The Following User Says Thank You to andygee For This Useful Post:
OMG! It's the same thread! They've used a stealthy title! I'm SHOCKED! WHAAAAAAT?????!!

i dont know why there is so much hatred and negative comments aimed at the makers of these type of threads

for some people the n900 is the best device the world can offer , for others it hasnt turned out how they thought it would

it doesnt make them a bad person for not liking the n900 and finding something that suits there needs better

on paper the n900 sounds awesome but in reality it isnt perfect by a long shot and no amount of research can help you find out how the n900 suits your needs in real life situations

i think the people that constantly enter these threads to type the same response over and over again are probably worse then the people that start them

all we ever see in these threads is didnt you do your research , go buy a iphone , if you want a smartphone you should have bought one and not a tablet

iam sorry but sometimes no amount of reading can show you how a item will fit in with your lifestyle

for example cars may be made to sound like the dream car from reviewers but when you sit in it for a few months you may find everything perfect but the driving posistion or that it gives you back ache

with the n900 people may think that missing phone features wont matter but then living with them everyday may proove to become to much for the end user or little things like the battery life , the headphone posistion when using the qwerty , the weak usb connector or the blue haze in some pictures may all have put the end user off over time even though they read 100s of pages of reviews and knew what to expect etc

they may have just found out that even though they love the n900 or wanted to love the n900 that it just doesnt quite fit in with their daily lifestyle

the best way to see if you like something is to try it and at least these users gave it ago and wanted to like it , it probably just didnt fit in with their needs

i own a n900 and enjoy it but i sometimes think its put on a pedastool here , with users defending it to the max , ive owned one for 6 months and i can honestly say i think the n900 is a good device but it could have been better

Last edited by buxz777; 2010-05-24 at 15:55.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to buxz777 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 63 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Moscow
It's simple: the people who create threads like this don't want to make it better, they just want to express how bad it is in their opinion, etc. They are moaning that it hasn't the features they want, but <insert phone model here = iPhone> has.
But N900 is Linux phone, use Linux way: if you need something, make it.

Originally Posted by buxz777 View Post
i dont know why there is so much hatred and negative comments aimed at the makers of these type of threads
1) this is a COMMUNITY SITE not NOKIA. You wanna whine at Nokia, go whine at them.

2) we want to help you, but you have to RELAX AND CALM DOWN

3) see 2)

4) if you hate it, get rid of it already and get yourself something else. We don't care. Really. Not even a little.

5) you still here? Cool! Now, what can we help you with, for free, on our own time, because we're all here to help each other.

You getting the picture now?