Notices

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Hi,

I have been thinking of this for a while but don't know how to make it work.
I found a bit anoying to press the "power" button and then slide to unlock the screen. We have a very nice accelerometer and a proximity sensor on our device, we should use them !

I was thinking of a crond that would detect the orientation of the phone (Lying on table back down or been held in hands) to detect if the phone screen should be locked or not. then if the phone is in your pocket (obiously then not flat on its back), the proximity sensor would detect this and therefore leave the phone unlocked.
the goal would be to get the screen unlocked when you pick the phone up from a table, and keep the phone unlocked as long as you hold it in your hands.

Andoid has an application that does this, it is called Screeble (http://www.brighthub.com/mobile/goog...ews/58778.aspx).
I did raise a brainstorm but without success (http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...id-on_maemo_5/)
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=50423

I am wondering why so less success on this idea, am I the only one willing this

posting now in Applications just in case ...
any input will be most welcome

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
good idea. maybe a 2 second delay before the phone unlocks when held in your hands. that would help reduce the chance of accidently unlocking when phone moves around.

very thghtful/!
smebdy pitch in some more ideas pls!

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
As appealing as it sounds to have the device automate as many things as possible... doesn't this waste the already preciously limited power reserve on the device?

And if you want to reduce power usage by doing periodic polling, then that may introduce unnecessary lag to the app's functions...
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

I would prefer to use the double press of the power button. The current functionality causes the device to lock(if unlocked). What I would like to see is unlocking the device when double pressed *if* in locked state. Sort of like toggle lock/unlock with double press. I know there is an app in extras-devel that allows you to customize the behavior of the power button and the camera button. I think it is called shortcutd??

This feature would enable us to unlock the device with one-hand, instead of reaching out to the slider while holding the device with the other.

The Following User Says Thank You to manavs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
With this device, being phone and tablet, usability really varies from person to person.
While the power button is handy to start the phone application, i stick to the right hand slider to lock and unlock the device.

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
you missed that key

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Thanks for the comments guys.
I have not missed the key, I just find it useless
I have tested Screeble on Android and I can tell you that it much more friendly to unlock the phone by lifting it up than having to press buttons ...

oh well I just have to get some programming happening to make my own app as no-one is sharing the need :|

I really like the idea.. unfortunately I'm not a programmer so I can't make it happen

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on May 2010 @ UK-PAX
i don't think this is a good idea at all.
Sorry but having that application active will probably unlock your phone when it is in your pocket and you are moving about.

What is the point of having a locked screen when the phone is on it's back on the table anyway??
To be honest i don't care if it's locked or not in this position. The only thing i care about (like most of users i believe) is to have touchscreen and buttons locked when phone is in my pocket.
How can you guarantee that phone stays locked when you move about, get in and out of the car etc. At some point the phone will find itself in a position that is similar to holding phone in your hand and you cannot say how the proximity sensor will act while in the pocket so this won't help either. Then you will end up ringing random people or starting random apps.