Notices

sorry but, whats the difference between this and icedtea6 package?

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Thanks.

Originally Posted by Dak View Post
OK smartypants, ya got me....I shoulda known to try that....sometimes my brain don't werk 2 gud neither
Hehe... well, I was commenting on that command itself - it's stupid, hence the "".

You can now run a jarfile from the FileManager by clicking on it....it still pops up a list of choices - select "Jarfile" - which kinda sucks....I want it to be automatic.
In your postinst, run update-desktop-database without any arguments.

I also can't seem to get a simple icon registered for use with jarfiles, so it still displays the stupid default question mark.
Try creating the following images:
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/64x64/mimetypes/application-x-jar.png
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/mimetypes/application-x-jar.png
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/24x24/mimetypes/application-x-jar.png

That said, the PDF Viewer just lives off one image: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/mimetypes/gnome-mime-application-pdf.png

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Sounds like a good idea, Wonko.

Forgive me if I don't get into it right now, as I'm trying to iron out a few final wrinkles with mmjre
I'd like to sort those two irritating glitches out, then work with you to figure out how best to do this 'virtual' package business.

Don't hurry. I am quite busy either.

Last edited by Wonko; 2010-05-23 at 09:58.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wonko For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ivnvir View Post
sorry but, whats the difference between this and icedtea6 package?
From the practical point the differences are that this package (mmjre) installs the Sun Embedded JRE (Java Runtime Environment) while the icedtea6 package installs basically the OpenJDK JRE and JDK (Java Development Kit).
So if you want to "just" run Java applications you can use any of these two.
If you want to develop Java applications on your N900 you'd have to go with icedtea6
Also note that Dak is working on a convenient way for launching downloaded applications from *.jar files. The icedtea6 package still requires you to start downloaded applications from the command line using "java -jar application.jar".

There are also some differences with respect to licensing e.g. the icedtea6 package is OpenSource; don't know which license the Sun based package is using.

There also might be differences with respect to which degree the different versions are optimized for use on embedded platforms.
What I can say for the icedtea6 package is that I currently uploaded two different versions.
The first one (icedtea6 1.5.0-7 in extras-testing) packages a version of the OpenJDK which was optimized for running on embedded platforms but it only features an interpreted mode (http://camswl.com/).
The second version (icedtea6 1.8-2 in extras-devel) simply repackages the OpenJDK packages from Debian for optification. This version also includes a Just In Time compiler (JIT).
Though, I didn't do any benchmarks so I cannot tell how these really compare performance-wise.

Last edited by Wonko; 2010-05-23 at 09:50.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wonko For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
In your postinst, run update-desktop-database without any arguments.
That one simple change fixed it. Thanks One-click jar execution from the file manager is now a reality. Nice.

However, I notice that when you browse your filesystem in the web browser ("file:///") you can select a pdf and it will fire up the pdf reader. This doesn't work for jarfiles, which is a shame, because if it did work we could put direct shortcuts to the jarfile on the desktop.

Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Try creating the following images:
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/64x64/mimetypes/application-x-jar.png
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/mimetypes/application-x-jar.png
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/24x24/mimetypes/application-x-jar.png

That said, the PDF Viewer just lives off one image: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/mimetypes/gnome-mime-application-pdf.png
Tried this...no joy.

I've tried every combo I can think of. I even set the desktop file "Icon" entry thus:

Icon=/opt/java/java_icon.png

...and it still didn't show up.

How can something so apparently trivial be such a PITA?

Last edited by Dak; 2010-05-24 at 15:07.

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Frankfurt, Germany
Thanks for packaging this, Dak! Have you considered splitting this into two separate .debs, one for the actual ejre from Sun and one for your scripts and tools? That way it wouldn't be necessary to redownload 30 MB whenever you update your scripts.

The Following User Says Thank You to Manul For This Useful Post:
What is the difference between Your work and the Microemulator? Should I have both installed because they have other possibilities and functions?

Hello,

I'm thinking into buying a N900.

My main interest is running fxtrade from oanda.com

Can anybody tell me if this is possible?

Here you'll find a Java test from Oanda to find out if the system meets all the requirements:

https://fx2.oanda.com/cgi-bin/java/test.pl

Requirements:

Hardware Requirements
Pentium 1GHz processor
(2GHz recommended)
512 MB memory
(1 GB+ recommended)
800x600 pixel display
(1024x768 recommended)
16-bit color display
(32-bit recommended)

Operating System

The FXTrade and FXGame platforms run on most systems that have a Web browser with Java 5 or higher.
Windows ME, 2000, XP, Vista
www.microsoft.com

Macintosh OS X Version 10.4 or higher
www.apple.com

Browser Software

FXTrade and FXGame are Web-based platforms requiring one of the following browsers. For you to log in to the platform, your browser needs to be enabled for Java 5 and have 128-bit encryption to protect your login ID and password in transmission.

Internet Explorer 5.0 or higher with
128-bit encryption
www.microsoft.com

FireFox 1.0 or higher
with 128-bit encryption
www.mozilla.com/firefox

Safari 2.0 or higher
with 128-bit encryption
www.apple.com/safari

Opera 9.0 or higher
with 128-bit encryption
www.opera.com

Best regards

Francisco

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Germany
How is the status of mmjre? Is it stable working yet? I really miss Java

Originally Posted by frangonve View Post
Hello,

I'm thinking into buying a N900.

My main interest is running fxtrade from oanda.com

Can anybody tell me if this is possible?

Here you'll find a Java test from Oanda to find out if the system meets all the requirements:

https://fx2.oanda.com/cgi-bin/java/test.pl

Requirements:

Hardware Requirements
Pentium 1GHz processor
(2GHz recommended)
512 MB memory
(1 GB+ recommended)
800x600 pixel display
(1024x768 recommended)
16-bit color display
(32-bit recommended)

Operating System

The FXTrade and FXGame platforms run on most systems that have a Web browser with Java 5 or higher.
Windows ME, 2000, XP, Vista
www.microsoft.com

Macintosh OS X Version 10.4 or higher
www.apple.com

Browser Software

FXTrade and FXGame are Web-based platforms requiring one of the following browsers. For you to log in to the platform, your browser needs to be enabled for Java 5 and have 128-bit encryption to protect your login ID and password in transmission.

Internet Explorer 5.0 or higher with
128-bit encryption
www.microsoft.com

FireFox 1.0 or higher
with 128-bit encryption
www.mozilla.com/firefox

Safari 2.0 or higher
with 128-bit encryption
www.apple.com/safari

Opera 9.0 or higher
with 128-bit encryption
www.opera.com

Best regards

Francisco
DO NOT BUY A N900 TO DO THIS (or any Nokia for that matter)

If you are TRADING, DO NOT buy a N900. There is NO OBLIGATION from the community or Nokia to support you. Since you are TRADING, you have money at stake - if software incompatibilities/glitches happen to you at the wrong time, then you could be screwed and be out of action for extensive periods of time. If you install the wrong app, then your phone could be out of action.

Instead, get a POPULAR phone that is RECOGNISED by software houses (andriod or iphone) has extensive SUPPORT to run this software so that you can get good support (e.g. Interactive broker app for iphone) when you need it.

p.s. - Yes I trade, so I am not being alarmist. I will never rely on my N900 to trade.

The Following User Says Thank You to Frappacino For This Useful Post: