Active Topics

Posts: 108 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Chicago
Kinda hard to say. But to agree with gerbick dont buy it because it is the hottest thing out. I have the N95 8gb and have used that as my backup phone. I have a Nexus One as my phone now. I regretted it for the first few days but now I am happy to have made that choice. At least you didnt spend $629 for it like it did.
There is rampant rumor going on that it is not getting flash 10.1. Some people say they dont care but for it to be a 'mobile computer' you expect it to have full browser functionality. There is hardly any communication from the company regarding the device and when the Meego upgrade happens there is no explicit statement from the company saying they will offically support it on the device-which would alleviate some peoples concerns and spur more people/developers to buy the phone.
As it stands now there is no word on the pr1.2 update and everyone here is waiting anxiously to get their hands on it. Some people say their phone is fine the way it is and it doesnt need the update. Those are most likely(personal opinion-no factual data) people that either dont use the phone fully or they have some programming skills to overcome the shortcomings of the device. The community effort is outstanding and just that-community effort. No enterprise effort or anything. I think it is packed with great hardware but Nokia dropped the ball on this. This phone could be great but Nokia is making it very average. I think Maemo could have been revolutionary if supported the right way. Just my two cents.

Originally Posted by resplendent2209 View Post
Doesn't mean that others also have not exprienced it.

It's confirmed from Nokia that there was USB fault in some devices.
Yes it was confirmed but when you say stuff like,

But I'd prefer one where the USB port doesn't fall out under normal usage and to avoid it, I have to shave down the micro-USB plugs.
it makes it sound like everyone has that problem

Posts: 330 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Mumbai, India and Amherst, USA (Current Location)
I never said it

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by nosa101 View Post
it makes it sound like everyone has that problem
Allow me to ask you this question then.

Has the USB port ever fallen out on more than one person that owns a N900?

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Allow me to ask you this question then.

Has the USB port ever fallen out on more than one person that owns a N900?
More than one person =/= everyone

The usb port hasn't fallen out for more than one person too

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by nosa101 View Post
More than one person =/= everyone

The usb port hasn't fallen out for more than one person too
That was a simple question... a yes/no question.

The whole "everybody" was only your interpretation. It has happened more than once. That's reason enough for me to avoid.

In the future, don't inject words into my sentences that I didn't place there myself. I never said "everyone" nor "everybody". You did.

And yes... do your own research. It has fallen out for more than one person. There's a thread full of those victims of the USB port becoming faulty, disconnected, in need of repair and in some cases, sent back without being repaired.

Posts: 108 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Chicago
There is something wrong with usb port. I sent my phone in for a totally different issue, that they didnt fix, and they flashed phone and replaced the usb port. Also, given the long line of high-end phones that Nokia has released that are not..... ready for primetime I would hold off on getting the N8 until you get to play with one or read tons of materials regarding its out of box experience. Just becuase it has a 12mp cam does not hide the fact that you might not be able to watch it on your device if the hdd is full-e.g. n95 8gb in the beginning. I would get the EVO 4g and wait to get another Nokia phone. **** brand loyalty-companies abuse it quite often (Nokia)

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Glendale, CA
At $380, you would probably be making a mistake to return it. No other phone in its class is that cheap w/out a plan. For that you get an extremely good web browsing experience, a phone experience that is good enough and an open software stack - making hacking simplistic.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
That was a simple question... a yes/no question.

The whole "everybody" was only your interpretation. It has happened more than once. That's reason enough for me to avoid.

In the future, don't inject words into my sentences that I didn't place there myself. I never said "everyone" nor "everybody". You did.

And yes... do your own research. It has fallen out for more than one person. There's a thread full of those victims of the USB port becoming faulty, disconnected, in need of repair and in some cases, sent back without being repaired.
you said

But I'd prefer one where the USB port doesn't fall out under normal usage and to avoid it, I have to shave down the micro-USB plugs.
You don't use "might" or anything that could imply faulty usb ports aren't inevitable.

If that is the case, everyone either has the problem or will have the problem. You use faulty usb ports in way synonymous with death and taxes. Like it is bound to happen.

You led me to my conclusion.

i currently am using the n95 8gb and will be buying a n900 tomorrow.

interesting that hardly anyone asked you WHAT exactly you want in a phone.

i tried other phones like the droid/milestone , iphone, htc in the shop, but i really didnt like them. first of all i think the maemo user interface with the screens rocks- very straightforward. i also have a need for a physical keyboard. i think many problems will be resolved with the update. but i have to say that i also sense that the n900 is dead when it comes to apps, i was shocked when i saw the ovi store, its like people arent even trying to make money. but since i am not an "app-person" it doesnt really bother me. i just hope that the basic phone functionalities work, then i will be very happy :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to Raubtier For This Useful Post: